Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android 11] Playback keeps pausing/skipping when screen is off on Android 11

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 4a

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Since updating to Android 11 yesterday, Spotify audio playback stutters horribly when the device display is locked. Restarts/reinstalls do not fix the issue.

Hey everyone,

We appreciate your reporting this and providing us with the relevant info.

Based on the reports we have received and the investigation conducted, it seems like this is affecting many other apps besides Spotify. 

From the information we were able to gather, since many other apps are not behaving as expected, this is most likely an issue outside of our control. We suggest to install new Android updates as soon as they become available for the newest fixes to your OS.

Please note, that this issue is specifically for Android 11 and has been investigated by our teams as such. For anyone experiencing similar symptoms on other OS versions, it's best to post in a separate thread so we can look into what's happening separately. We'd also recommend checking this support site article in case that's what you're experiencing.

For more info about what the different Ongoing Issues statuses mean, check this Spotify Answer.

Thank you!

Comments
Bobby303

I'm also having this issue since I last updated. And I thought I had fixed it, but it started up again. 

I have a Pixel 3a on Android 11. I have spotify version 8.5. 84. 875. 

The stopping of playback has only happened with spotify so far. 

nemasu

Same problem, only happens on lock screen, it starts working again when I unlock.

It's basically unusable.

Pixel 3a

Android 11

Wired earphones.

cgkh

Also having the same issue, have had it intermittently for a couple months now. 

Google Pixel 3A

Android 11

Music

Bluetooth speaker and headphones

Only Spotify (not noticed on Google Podcasts)

Tried the battery optimisation fix and reducing streaming audio quality to Low but neither have fixed it. Only plays seamlessly when screen is active.

johnloder1

Also having this problem, Pixel 3a, have reinstalled Spotify, logged out and in and repaied bluetooth headphones. 

Blear

Pixel3a Android 11

Same problem with Bluetooth devices. 

Kaetano

Same problem on my galaxy s20+ with android 10

Someone861

I did not notice the issues in the beginning of the Android 11 update on my Pixel 3a. Since I did not receive any security updates since the Android 11 update in September, I have reset the Phone to factory settings in November. Immediately after the factory reset I have noticed the issues. I did not immediately get the November security update, only later that day.

As I have noticed lately, the issues seem to get worse in crowded areas. There the problems is so huge that  I can't listen to Spotify. But so now and then, the problem also arises when I'm in my own home.

(@Gosling) Yesterday I also noticed that the problem also arises when listening to podcasts via the app Podcast Go via https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sanity.podcast.freak&hl=nl

As I also have the problem via other apps, to me the problem does not only seem to be a Spotify issue, but a Android 11 issue: AND IT SUCK BIG TIME

IrishJoe3

Same issue, BEYOND FRUSTRATED. 

Paying for premium, Spotify is virtually useless. Which is too bad as I like the app and music better then what Pandora offers. 

Google Pixel 3A

Android Version 11

Spotify Version 8.5.85.894

Ran flawless till phone updated to Android 11. Cleared cache, cleared files, uninstalled, reinstalled, no change.

Plays fine if screen on/open. When screen locks music immediately glitches/skips

No difference if on car blutooth, bluetooth speakers, or wired headset. 

If I force stop the app and reopen, will usually get 10 min error free until it starts again. 

The app and Spotify is virtually unusable. Been waiting for a fix for more than a month. On the verge of canceling my subscription.

• Device make and model.
  • OS version.
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Is it happening only with a specific type of content?
  • Does this occur when using Connect, Bluetooth or both?
  • Does it happen only with Spotify or with other apps as well?
  • Troubleshooting steps you tried so far.
Someone861

Small update. This not only a Spotify issue, it is with all media outputs via all channels. I have found the following issue reported at Google: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/168233990

Daniel9339

Same issue on Pixel 3a, Android version 11, and Spotify version 8.5.85.894. 

It happens all the time for me, with the screen on or not, with songs and podcasts, and via Bluetooth or straight from the phone itself. 

It's incredibly frustrating and doesn't occur in any other app besides Spotify.