Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android 11] Playback keeps pausing/skipping when screen is off on Android 11

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 4a

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Since updating to Android 11 yesterday, Spotify audio playback stutters horribly when the device display is locked. Restarts/reinstalls do not fix the issue.

Hey everyone,

We appreciate your reporting this and providing us with the relevant info.

Based on the reports we have received and the investigation conducted, it seems like this is affecting many other apps besides Spotify. 

From the information we were able to gather, since many other apps are not behaving as expected, this is most likely an issue outside of our control. We suggest to install new Android updates as soon as they become available for the newest fixes to your OS.

Please note, that this issue is specifically for Android 11 and has been investigated by our teams as such. For anyone experiencing similar symptoms on other OS versions, it's best to post in a separate thread so we can look into what's happening separately. We'd also recommend checking this support site article in case that's what you're experiencing.

For more info about what the different Ongoing Issues statuses mean, check this Spotify Answer.

Thank you!

Comments
MauritsH

Problem with the Spotify app on both laptop and telephone. Skipping and pausing while streaming to Google Chromecast at first, and now also within the app itself.

• Device make and model. > Laptop Dell / Samsung S9
  • OS version. > OS Windows 10 / Android
  • Exact Spotify version. > The newest, downloaded it once more.
  • Is it happening only with a specific type of content? > No, it happens with all songs
  • Does this occur when using Connect, Bluetooth or both? > Connect / Stream but also with playing standalone.
  • Troubleshooting steps you tried so far. > Download and installed the app on both systems again. Changed password. No results.

glowbringer

Im on a pixel 5 - as well as i have tried on my acer laptop and my amazon alexa, same problem on both.  It happens no matter what I do. Web Player, app, bluetooth. Alexa seems to play better but not by much, takes a whole minute to start the song or else doesnt start at all, but the song plays through if it does start.

Bikewanker

Samsung S9 plus
Software : UI 2.1 : ANDROID 10
SPOTIFY : 8.5.85.894
Starts playing for 10secs then jumps to next tune.
As of Today : 27 :11 : 2020

Fault : plays for 10secs or less then skips to next tune on playlist.
Happening on phone or network device like smart speaker.  Also when using app on Sky Q.

ssa95

Same problem, both on my OnePlus 7Pro, Chromebook and Google nest mini. Have the latest updates on all devices.

Josie091

Using an acer Chromebook CB431

Spotfiy version 8.5.85.894

OS Version 86.0.4240.198 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Playback is fine when playing on the device itself, but as soon as I connect to either Amazon Echo, and Echo dot, Google Chromecase, or Google Chromecast Audio, the songs skip themselves after a few seconds.

Have uninstalled and re-installed completely, but the problem still occurs.

Also ,Using a Samsung Galaxy S9

Spotify version 8.5.85.894

OS Android Version 10

Exactly the same problem. Can play on the device itself without problem, but as soon as I try to connect to one of the above wifi speakers then it's constantly skipping on all content, and is kinda unuseable.

Josie091

Also, this issue seems to be exclusive to spotify on both devices, no other issues with other apps

Jose_M

Hello!

This also happens on my end. Device: Samsung Galaxy A70. Android 10. Spotify version 8.5.87.724. This happens with all the content I try to stream. I'm using connect with my Google Home.

I hope this info is helpful to you 🙂

1969fish

Hello

Also issue with songs skipping still occurring on My Motorola G device, Android 9, spotify version 8.5.85.894.

I'm streaming to google home.

ConnerStills

I have the same issue that just began today. I haven't done any system update, as far as I can tell nothing has changed on my phone.

Play back stops on songs I stream and songs that are downloaded. It happens through Bluetooth and through my phone speakers. It happens with phone screen on, and while phone locked. Music seems to stop every 30 seconds at BEST. Sometimes it will stop playing immediately.

I'm using a pixel 4, app and phone up to date.

I restarted my phone and deleted and re installed Spotify. No fix.

In its current state Spotify is absolutley unusable.

Shantalylace

Same issues still ongoing with OnePlus 8 Pro - running Android 11 w/ Spotify version 8.5.86.854. Doesn't playback songs continuously when running in background/on lock screen.

Doesn't matter whether I'm running off Wi-Fi or mobile data; bluetooth, or phone speakers. Songs will skip intermittently regardless if they've been downloaded, or are streaming. They will usually resume once I open the app so it's not running in background. Same issues reappear primarily when my screen times out & lock screen is enabled.