Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android 11] Playback keeps pausing/skipping when screen is off on Android 11

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 4a

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Since updating to Android 11 yesterday, Spotify audio playback stutters horribly when the device display is locked. Restarts/reinstalls do not fix the issue.

Hey everyone,

We appreciate your reporting this and providing us with the relevant info.

Based on the reports we have received and the investigation conducted, it seems like this is affecting many other apps besides Spotify. 

From the information we were able to gather, since many other apps are not behaving as expected, this is most likely an issue outside of our control. We suggest to install new Android updates as soon as they become available for the newest fixes to your OS.

Please note, that this issue is specifically for Android 11 and has been investigated by our teams as such. For anyone experiencing similar symptoms on other OS versions, it's best to post in a separate thread so we can look into what's happening separately. We'd also recommend checking this support site article in case that's what you're experiencing.

For more info about what the different Ongoing Issues statuses mean, check this Spotify Answer.

Thank you!

Comments
Sephirio
No, sadly not. No solution found, no answers given. It's highly annoying.
Tarius

I have re started my phone multiple times. Re installed Spotify. Cleared Bluetooth cache. No luck.

Sephirio
Same here. Tried a lot, nothing worked.
Mundiba

Did the same, both reinstall and disabled battery optimization, worked for about half an hour and started again...

However, when playing on phone speaker (rather than bluetooth device) it appears to work fine...

Lovmark

Same issue here. Pixel 3a and only since the android 11 update

sirvemon

If you go to battery>battery usage> Spotify, then change battery optimization for Spotify from optimize to not optimized, that should prevent android from reducing Spotify's allocated resources when screen is off

nikuri

I've already tried that and it didn't fix the issue.

Mundiba

Tried it already, alongside with a clean reinstall As I said, it helped for about half an hour and problem resumed. However, as it seemed to me that it only happens when listening over bluetooth, I tried disabling battery optimization for bluetooth as well... Will post if it helps

Tarius

Not for nothing but still I haven't gotten anywhere with this issue. Anyone else?

I have unpaired all my devices and rebooted my phone.

Re-paired all my bluetooth devices. 1 at a time.

The skipping issues remained.

I have turned off 'Bluetooth Scanning' same outcome - the skipping issues remains.

It is interesting to note that not all bluetooth speakers/headphones are treated equally. My bluetooth earbuds which I use for running do not experience any skipping.

My Bose35 headphones experience some skipping after 15 min of continuous play. Turning off and on bluetooth on my phone resets that count.

My little Wonderboom speaker is the worst offender. Once the phone is locked and the screen is off the skipping typically starts and more frequently than the other devices. Sometimes turning off and on bluetooth gives me some reprieve.

Sephirio

Basically tried the same stuff, nothing is working. Spotify doesn't react and Google doesn't as well. What is going on here? 😞 It's not like that is a minor bug.