Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 4a

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Since updating to Android 11 yesterday, Spotify audio playback stutters horribly when the device display is locked. Restarts/reinstalls do not fix the issue.

Hey everyone,

We appreciate your reporting this and providing us with the relevant info.

Based on the reports we have received and the investigation conducted, it seems like this is affecting many other apps besides Spotify. 

From the information we were able to gather, since many other apps are not behaving as expected, this is most likely an issue outside of our control. We suggest to install new Android updates as soon as they become available for the newest fixes to your OS.

Please note, that this issue is specifically for Android 11 and has been investigated by our teams as such. For anyone experiencing similar symptoms on other OS versions, it's best to post in a separate thread so we can look into what's happening separately. We'd also recommend checking this support site article in case that's what you're experiencing.

For more info about what the different Ongoing Issues statuses mean, check this Spotify Answer.

Thank you!

Comments
ChunkyRabbit39

This is happening on my Iphone as well only after the last update which is weird

Schlüter

Bei mir schaltet Spotify mitten im Lied weiter und egal ob an oder ausgeschaltet oder direkt in der App nach einem Lied fängt das nächste an und nach 9 Sekunden wird die Wiedergabe beendet...es steht noch auf Play aber die Zeit läuft nicht und wenn ich das Lied von vorne anmache dann stoppt es wieder nach 9 Sekunden... Wenn ich dann eins überspringe dann läuft das nächste Lied wieder ganz und wenn das Ende ist fängt das nächste an und stoppt wieder nach 9 Sekunden. Hintergrunddaten sind uneingeschränkt. Sony Xperia 1... Neuinstallation bringt auch nichts. 

daniscross

Approaching 11 weeks since this was first reported. Still no fix, no update, nothing. Is this being actively looked at or not?

DJMattB241

EDIT: It seems like a combo of this plus the december 5 security patch seems to be working for now. If I re-enable this, it stutters, but with it off, I seem to be okay.

-----------------------------------

Hey all, I managed to solve this for myself at least. I found this on one of the five thousand threads around the internet on this issue.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I've been listening to Spotify on my bluetooth speaker for a few hours now during work, and it hasn't stuttered once.

I'll be doing more testing this week, including with my wired headphones, but so far so good!

Steps:

1) Go into System -> Developer Options (google how to enable Dev options if needed)

2) Scroll about halfway down the list, you'll see a Bluetooth section

3) Turn the switch on for "Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload"

4) It'll prompt you to reboot.

That's it! It's been working great for me since then. I really hope this works for more people out there.

People at THIS thread have been having luck doing the "Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth" option, so you may want to try that too.
hbr245b

Pixel 3aXL
Android 11

Spotify 8.5.85.894

When connected via bluetooth to my audio receiver, the app will stop streaming music when the lock screen kicks in. Spotify & Bluetooth are set NOT to be optimized for batter usage.

Same issue with SiriusXM app so more likely to be an Android issue rather than Spotify app itself.

A workaround - start Android Auto and select Spotify (or SiriusXM) via the headphone icon. Audio streams fine via bluetooth for me with no drop outs. 

Perhaps someone can understand what changes behind the scenes when Android Auto is running?

McCallister81

Same. Exact. Issues.  I have been on Youtube Music and was having same issue.  So I just switched to Spotify and exact same issue. So, definitely something with Android on my Pixel 3A.

Elena
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your reports so far!

For those of you who haven't, can you let us know if this happens only with Spotify or with other apps as well?

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• Device make and model.
  • OS version.
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Is it happening only with a specific type of content?
  • Does this occur when using Connect, Bluetooth or both?
  • Troubleshooting steps you tried so far.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and Subscribe to this thread so that you'll be notified as soon as there are any updates.

In case you're experiencing a different issue, you can start a new topic in our help boards with as detailed a description as possible. We'll be happy to lend a hand there and take a closer look into what's happening. 

Cheers!

Someone861

- Google Pixel 3a

- Android 11, 5 november update (RP1A.201105.002)

- With Spotify & Podcast Go (media output, not during calls)

- Audio via Headphones & bluetooth devices, not via Connect or Group Sessions with other (don't know when the session is via my phones)

- Reset bluetooth settings, adjusted screen settings, turn off battery optimization. Only things that seems to help for like 10 min is turning your phone off and on again.

Annasio

My app has problems connecting to web, while other apps works perfectly online. Spotify notifies about no internet connection, but I'm writing this comment right now, so you can see, that I have the connection. 

It skips most songs, plays some. I tired to download a playlist, and the app downloaded only 5 songs. It is impossible to use the app right now.

----

Xiaomi redmi 4x

Android 7.1.2 N2G7H

Spotify version: 8.5.85.894

Eurekadelta

I am having this issue on using a premium account via the Chrome brower. Today is the first time I have had this problem (and have been using this playback method for ages already). I am only having this problem on Spotify (everything else is working fine).