Premium

Country

United States

Device

Google Pixel 4a

Operating System

Android 11

My Question or Issue

Since updating to Android 11 yesterday, Spotify audio playback stutters horribly when the device display is locked. Restarts/reinstalls do not fix the issue.

Hey everyone,

We appreciate your reporting this and providing us with the relevant info.

Based on the reports we have received and the investigation conducted, it seems like this is affecting many other apps besides Spotify. 

From the information we were able to gather, since many other apps are not behaving as expected, this is most likely an issue outside of our control. We suggest to install new Android updates as soon as they become available for the newest fixes to your OS.

Please note, that this issue is specifically for Android 11 and has been investigated by our teams as such. For anyone experiencing similar symptoms on other OS versions, it's best to post in a separate thread so we can look into what's happening separately. We'd also recommend checking this support site article in case that's what you're experiencing.

For more info about what the different Ongoing Issues statuses mean, check this Spotify Answer.

Thank you!

Comments
TeamWideBody
How can we join the beta?
Thanks?
Tristan6252

Phone: Pixel 3a on Android 11

Version: 8.5.81.991 

Plan: Premium

I have the same issue. Music stops playing or stutters a lot when the screen goes off. It's really annoying; I've had this issue for quiet a long time now. Turning off adaptive battery and turning optimisation off on Spotify does nothing to help. 

Hopefully this gets fixed very soon.

reedbowers24

My music keeps stopping for apparently no reason.

Sparhawk2k

It's pausing entirely for me on Android 11. It plays fine until the screen turns off and then stops a couple seconds later. This is a new phone so it came installed with Android 11 so I haven't been able to compare to 10. This is what I saw with the phone from day 1.

• Device details (build/model/OS)
    • OnePlus 8T / Android 11 / Oxgen OS 11.KB05AA
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Troubleshooting steps you tried so far
    • Uninstalling Spotify and installing again
    • Disabling battery optimization
    • Confirming "Spotify Connect in Background" is on in Spotif Settings
    • Locking Spotify in the recent apps screen
    • Trying it both locally and with a Bluetooth speaker.
    • Tried finding settings on background data usage but didn't see anything applying to Spotify
    • Confirmed that it happens if I turn off the screen or let it time out

Taxadrone

My Spotify keeps pausing after 30 secs. Whether I play it through playstation, google home or Android phone casting to stereo. I reckon I'll give this a week to be resolved before I cancel the service. It's unusable 

Buckowski

This was the issue which forced me to sell the pixel 3a. It was reported early September, i gave up waiting for a fix last week and traded for an IPhone. No such issues now.

Given this has cost me a lot of money, I’m interested to know is a fix any closer, or do customers have to accept this?

it’s nearly 2 months since Android 11 messed it all up.

mdkcurly7

Bump. I'm having the same issues on my CPU, not an android phone.

mm12345

Spotify version 8.5.81.991 on a Galaxy S8 with Android 9 

Same pausing/stopping issue when screen goes dark but it only started happening 2 weeks ago.

So...what's the problem??   It's been an ongoing issue for 2 months already. 

I would have thought this would have been fixed by now.

Sure hope this issue gets resolved soon or, based on the foregoing comments, Spotify will be losing lots of subscribers!!

Sparhawk2k

Just an update that the Spotify app updated today but I'm still experiencing the exact same problem. As soon as the screen goes off the playback pauses / stops a couple seconds later.

• Device details (build/model/OS)
    • OnePlus 8T / Android 11 / Oxgen OS 11.KB05AA (unchanged)
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Troubleshooting steps you tried so far
    • Upgraded to latest Spotify version (see above)
    • Spotify app still locked in the task switcher
    • Battery optimization turned itself back on (with the update?) but it still stops after I turn it back off
    • "Spotify Connect in Background" still on
      • I'm not actually sure what this is... Just that it mentions running in the background. 🤣
    • Stops off when I push the button to turn off the screen
    • Stops when I let the screen go dark through the screen timeout

Somebody had mentioned a beta up above? I'd love to opt into that if possible given that Spotify is 99% unusable for me right now.

Ivan
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reporting this to us!

We can confirm the right team is aware of this and looking into it. If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and Subscribe to this thread so that you'll be notified as soon as there are any updates.

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• Device make and model.
  • OS version.
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Is it happening only with a specific type of content?
  • Does this occur when using Connect, Bluetooth or both?
  • Does it happen only with Spotify or with other apps as well?
  • Troubleshooting steps you tried so far.

In case you're experiencing a different issue, you can start a new topic in our help boards with as detailed a description as possible. We'll be happy to lend a hand there and take a closer look into what's happening.