Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Volume spike when using Connect

Plan

Premium

Country

The Netherlands

Device / OS

Laptop: Clevo laptop with an up-to-date Windows 10 Pro 1809

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S8 with Android 9

Receiver: Denon AVR-X3500H with latest Firmware (2600-9174-8102-0025)

Spotify version on Windows: 1.1.17.543.geb9254e9

Spotify version on Android: 8.5.27.957

My Question or Issue

While writing this I'm still shaking. After opening Spotify on my Android device I selected a song I would like to hear like I normally do, and pressed play. The song started to play on my phone. I clicked the 'Connect to a device' button and selected the Denon receiver. After a short delay the song starts to play on Denon receiver on MAX volume. I've never set the volume of the receiver even near max in my entire live and I instantly knew why. Apparently max volume equals instant shock and permanent ear damage. In the moment I accidentally pressed the Samsung Bixby button which made the unbearable moment even longer. Once I could stop the music and set the volume to zero I was dazedly looking around while the smell of fried electronics from my B&W speakers filled the air.

One week earlier I had a similar incident from my laptop. I was working in the living room and I've been playing music from Spotify on my receiver for a while and on a random moment the volume switched to MAX. I didn't touch Spotify or my local system audio at that time because I worked in a remote desktop session. I don't know if this is related to the Spotify Android incident but they both happened within one week time span and never before. On the Windows system it looked like the Windows volume (which was on 100%) was synced with the Spotify volume, which synced this volume to the receiver. After setting my Windows volume around 20% I had twice the 'incident' that my spotify volume jumped to a lower volume. Which I had to set higher manually.

I have no clue why this happened. I do know I don't want this ever to happen again. Please look into this issue Spotify.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Comments
mwalster

Spotify version: 1.1.19.480.g7d17e3ce

I've also been getting volume spikes.   I have spotify on Amazon echo, android phone, and laptop PC.  The volume only ever increases.  Normalised volume is off, as is hardware acceleration.  I have tried completely uninstalling spotify from the laptop, powering off the phones completely, and playing it only through alexa, still spikes.  I've also tried playing it solely through the laptop, still spikes, as also through a bluetooth speaker.  The volume spikes seem to be happening independent of platform.  Help!

Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate your patience this far!

Our tech teams have done some magic backstage in the latest version of the Android app now available.

Could you make sure to update the app with the steps provided here and let us know if that helps?

If the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE (if you haven't already) and leaving a comment with the following details:

• Your device and its OS (operating system) version
  • The exact version of the app you ended up with

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

Splutty

Android version 8.5.32.889 seems to have fixed this issue, and takes the volume setting from the Master now without propagating its own Media Volume.

Behaviour is back to where it was weeks ago before all this started.

Can the 'tech team' please make a very large note somewhere about why this happened, and not let it ever happen again? This can actually destroy hard- and software (the software being people's ears in this case).

I doubt even your EULA can cover the legal repercussions of actual damage.

Rebban

Got the same problem with my sony receiver… If im listening on the receiver and either my phone or my girlfriends phone connect to the car the receiver blasts to volume equal to that phones current mediavolume… THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM AS IT CAN DESTROY BOTH SPEAKERS AND EARS

Anynamewilldo

I have experienced the “Max Volume” problem using Spotify Connect from my iPhone 8 to my Cambridge audio streamer and to my Alexas. It has occurred 3 or 4 times, including one event at 01:00 in the morning when we were both asleep - pretty frightening! I contacted Spotify who confirmed they were aware of the problem and we should look out for updates. In the meantime just shut down Spotify from your iPhone once Connect is operational - far from ideal!

Neantro

Yesterday I've played music on my Denon receiver through Spotify on Android again. Android version 8.5.32.889. I've set my media volume on android on mute just in case the volume sync happens. I did not experience any strange or unwanted behavior from Spotify this evening. My hope and trust slightly increased.

LosD

Same thing happened for me yesterday on a Samsung HW-Q96R (HW-Q90R in the US, I believe).

I don't know why Spotify Connect is taking direct control of the general volume in the first place. That's just a terrible design. Like all other inputs, it should have a single source volume and leave the overall volume COMPLETELY alone.

(I was streaming from Android 9 on a Galaxy Note 9, app version 8.5.33.831)

Peter
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

If you’re still experiencing this issue, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!

LosD

@Peter Is it a server change? Otherwise it seems unlikely to be fixed. I haven't had a Spotify update since November 22nd, and I saw the issue happen this Tuesday. 

jackois

@Peter I can confirm that I haven't had this problem for about 3 weeks. Many thanks.