Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[Android] "Downloading" playlist is stuck on 0%

Thread: 116950

Description:

This thread is for this particular issue:

In a playlist, in Spotify on Android, you press the green “Download playlist” button and it stays stuck on “Downloading 0%”

Additional information:

1. If your device doesn’t show up under Devices in the desktop client, that is a different issue. Please make sure you try resolving the issue using our connection troubleshooting tips
  2. If your playlist did sync before, but then disappeared, please go here
  3. Have a look at the updated Troubleshooting Spotify on Android topic
  4. When replying here, make sure you provide ALL the details we ask for. A simple “I have this problem too” doesn’t give us any info we can use to try and find a common cause
  5. When replying here, please also state how much space you have left both on your device AND on your SD card (Only if your phone supports an external SD card, of course)
  6. If you have rooted and/or installed a custom rom we can’t troubleshoot properly. Please reset your phone to factory settings and try again

2013-01-15:

I'm not yet convinced that this issue is resolved, but responses have died down quite a bit of late.

I am told by the developers that this is mostl a tempoar issue for users; that after a while the issue resolves itself on individual devices.

I also want to note that some responses in this thread indicate that two issues are being mixed up. The particular issue being discussed here is that playlists will not start downloading for offline use on your Android device.

To the point: Is anyone here having problems downloading playlists on their Android device and if so, has this been going on for longer than a month?

--

When posting in this forum please make sure you have read these guidelines.

Comments
stoneskin

This is one of the most painful android app issues that I've encountered and spent time investigating.

Device - X10 Mini (2010), Rooted, CM9, ICS 4.0.4, SD card 16GB, 10GB free, Spotify 0.5.3.56, premium account (all paid)

(not that I think anything other than the Spotify  version actually matters after spending a fair amount of time digging through various threads which have rather inexplicably been closed)

Everything was working until a month or so back when I took an update on the Spotify app from the market. Since then I CANNOT synch playlists added after this date. As I had a large number of playlists already downloaded I didn't worry too much.

Before then I had happily played tracks offline from quite a large number of playlists.

The issue IS NOT SD card space because I have 10 GB free, this is confirmed by Root Explorer, stock settings, SD Maid and so on.

I CAN synch any playlist that was added prior to the update date, whether it was or wasn't downloaded before. But I cannot download (permanently) any new playlist.

If I try and download a new (prior to update of app) playlist it works a treat if I am still in 'online' mode and claims the playlist is downloaded. If I switch the app to 'offline' mode and don't exit I can still play the tracks. However if the app 'sleeps' or I exit or I reboot or whatever, the playlist is not apparently downloaded.

I have tried everything. Wiping data using Titanium. Reinstalling the app. Deleting all cached files (that I can find). Basically something is very broken in the app and clearly this has affected a huge number of people.

This is what I pay for the premium account for, so if it isn't resolved quickly then I stop paying.

netswipe

Same problem here. I own an xperia mini pro with 16gb sd, 600mbs free. All new playlists keep stuck at 0%. I first thought that this is a problem of free space when I noticed, that there are 600mbs free.

So, first of all, I would advice you to integrate an error message which tells you when you memory is full.

The workaround with pluging in the usb didn't work for me. I guess this might work for some people because the sd card is beeing ejected on usb-mount. 

I also thought that this might be a problem of communication between mac (i own a macbook middle 2010 with Lion) and adroid in wifi networks, i noticed that here are some guys with macs and this problem. Have you ever thought of enabling sync just via usb?

Please fix this, it's a mess paying 10 Eur/month and beeing unable to carry it with you.

thank you.

//by the way: I just notice, that the mac app keeps telling, that there is no free space left on my xperia mini pro. But when I look on my phone, there are still 500mb free. This might be a problem of the mac app, that it is unable to detect free space correctly and interupts any syncs?

leighanbe88
I've had premium on my Android for just a couple weeks. I downloaded about 8 playlists to my device fine to listen offline but now it wont download anymore. I have plenty memory space on my phone so that is certainly not the issue. I don't have a pc or laptop so I rely on my phone for music. This is really frustrating only being able to listen to most of my playlists online as it uses up a lot of my data and only.have WiFi at home and work. Please sort this out. I don't want to have to cancel my account as spotify, in theory, is a great app. Just fed up with all my playlists being on 0% in the download bar. Last time I was able to download was last Thursday and had to use my 3g.

Please help.
Gareth886

This pretty much sums up the problem for me too:

@stoneskin wrote:

Everything was working until a month or so back when I took an update on the Spotify app from the market. Since then I CANNOT synch playlists added after this date. As I had a large number of playlists already downloaded I didn't worry too much.

I CAN synch any playlist that was added prior to the update date, whether it was or wasn't downloaded before. But I cannot download (permanently) any new playlist.

If I try and download a new (prior to update of app) playlist it works a treat if I am still in 'online' mode and claims the playlist is downloaded. If I switch the app to 'offline' mode and don't exit I can still play the tracks. However if the app 'sleeps' or I exit or I reboot or whatever, the playlist is not apparently downloaded.

David

Hello,

Could you guys tell me if your Android version is Stock or Rooted (Except stoneskin, you summed up your device in your post)? Also, have you tried this process with another Wi-Fi connection?

stoneskin

I've not tried another wi-fi connection - I don't easily have another to use.

leighanbe88
Mine is now working. Hope it doesn't happen again. I haven't started paying for premium yet as I'm in my trial. But this happened a week into my trial which was disappointing. If it happens again I will definitely consider cancelling my account. I want music to listen to on the go with no internet connection. For the amount I plan on downloading, £10 a month isn't bad, but only if it actually worka properly!
netswipe

stock. Others wifi do not work too.

But this usb workaround did it for me, however for 2 playlists only.

I enabled my community account to post the following:

I paid 100 dollars for a 1 year premium membership and I haven't even opened spotify to listen to music because I can only stream music, WHICH ONLY RESULTS IN ADDITIONAL COSTS.

I am deeply angered by this sub-par customer service and if this does not get fixed soon I will do everything in my power to get my money back and move on entirely from this disaster of a service.

Spotify's generic "wipe cache and install method" has not worked for me. I performed no software updates to my phone or the application because this problem started occurring. The USB Workaround doesn't work for me. And it's been two long miserable weeks of me looking for a solution on these forums, despite the best effort of the people asking for a fix, the mods don't seem to have an answer.

Android 4.0.4 HTC One X

Spotify Version 0.5.3.56

I hope to god that you get this fixed within DAYS. Because I sure as hell am not going to waste my hundred bucks waiting for you guys to REALIZE that you have a problem with your app.

stoneskin

David (moderator),

Please ask the developers to swiftly make available a release with verbose logging on, I'd be happy to test such release right now on my phone, I just want this resolved. Clearly logging is an issue with the app because a ton of people have issues yet there is nothing logged or reported. Please expedite and let's resolve the issue this week.

Even if it is a storage issue, a compatibility issue or otherwise, the logging is at fault and not sufficient. Get the devs to up the logging and I'll investigate this myself, but it is ridiculous that the issue continues for any longer.