Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] "Spotify is trying to play" notification

Plan

Premium

Country
USA

Device

Moto Z3 Play

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Yesterday I noticed that my phone was showing two notifications when I played spotify. The first was the normal notification that spotify was playing with information about the song. The second was a notification that I couldn't swipe away that said "Spotify is trying to play...". It persisted the entire time I was playing music on my phone and disappeared when I closed spotify. What's going on? How can I get rid of the notification?

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!

Make sure to perform a clean reinstall and that you're running the latest version of the app.

Thanks!

Comments
Meanswell

Same issue here. Specs below
Platform: Android 10

Version: Android 10 (Oxygen OS build 10.0.1.GM31CB)

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro

Spotfiy: Version 8.5.36.747

Steps taken: Used Android Notification settings to remove the notification from being shown. Less than ideal in my opinion in case this notification ever needs to showcase an actual issue.

cnssamurai

This is happening to me, except the notification does not go away unless I restart my phone.

Just started this morning.

Screenshot_20200108-164151.png

Screenshot_20200108-164317.png

Screenshot_20200108-164221.png

I hope this helps.

MeatieOcre1

Screenshot_20200108-200651_Brave.jpg

 "Spotify is trying to play" in my notifications started yesterday, have just begun to look into it. Feeling a bit relieved that I'm not the only one experience this.

Samsung Galaxy S7

Android OS v. 8.0

Spotify Premium v 8.5.36.747

Thanks!

razu

Started happening since yesterday 08.01.2020

OnePlus 7 Pro

Android 10

Oxygen OS 10.0.3.GM21BA

Spotify Version 8.5.36.747

erin_mackay04

This is happening to me too. I've got a Sasmung A40. And spotify keeps playing music when the app is closed. I was looking at older forums with the same problem and someone said it could be triggered by alarms. It has been playing when my alarms go off but then the notification says it been "trying to play" since 4:19am but my first alarm is at 6am. Its beek happening a lot this week and I'm hoping that it doesn't go off in public. Please fix this, I've logged out of the app for now but that doesn't fix the problem, I had to restart my phone to get rid if the notification. 

_32lnx7-j3uf7

Google pixel 3

Spotify version 8.5.36.747

Started a couple days ago after my phone updated.

Screenshot_20200109-075533.png

st0nefish

this has been happening to me as well for the last couple days.

Galaxy S10 w/ Android 10

force quit app + restart *usually* fixes it, but it comes back the following day

KO-66

UPDATE 1-11-2020

The problem appears to have been fixed with a Spotify update on 1-10-2020.
Spotify Version: 8.5.40.195
I have not seen the problem since this update. FINALLY!

My original post from around 1-4-2020 was removed from this thread in the community.

THIS IS MY 2nd ATTEMPT TO RE-POST
 this after updating my original post and 1st ATTEMPT TO RE-POST THIS yesterday when I added that I emailed Spotify support, Spotify REMOVED my original post from this area. So I’m re-posting!

Spotify Support,

FIX this issue! [Android] "Spotify is trying to play" notification

I PAY for your premium service and I should not have to deal with this ONGOING Spotify APP problem.

I as well as many others have posted online in the Spotify community regarding the recent ambiguous notification that are being displayed regarding "Spotify is trying to play"

Phone: Samsung S10+

Memory: 128 GB

Samsung One UI: 2.0

Spotify Ver: 8.5.36.747

No screenshots are needed plenty of other people have included screenshots that clearly demonstrate the issue and enough information has been provided for Spotify to debug this and FIX it.

I've been having the same problem for over 2 weeks now on 4 Samsung Galaxy S10+ with no solution..... Uninstalled, reinstalled cleared cache and data, rebooted, no resolution. Been using Spotify PREMIUM for years before this started, on several different Motorola phones, and I've never seen this before in the past. This appears to be an APP bug and seems to be affecting many different users with different phones.

SPOTIFY NEEDS TO FIX THIS ASAP!!!

IT'S VERY ANNOYING AND MAKES ME FEEL LIKE SPOTIFY, THAT I PAY FOR, IS A CRAPPY CARELESS COMPANY!

UPDATED 1-6-2020 The problem continues.

So far this seems to be happening when something triggers Spotify to play music, like when I'm in the car and using Bluetooth playing music using Spotify, then shut off the car, then start the car back up, the phone re-connects and Spotify begins playing again where it left off and the notification that "Spotify is trying to play" even though Spotify is already playing.

I also noticed this happening when I have got into the car after everything on my phone had been closed, Spotify had been forced to close prior to getting into my car, and my car still has the last song referenced in the Bluetooth, but Spotify is not playing. So I press play on my car's touchscreen, then Spotify opens on the phone and starts playing, and the notification that "Spotify is trying to play" even though Spotify is already playing.

I've had the same notification appear using my Bluetooth earbuds to start Spotify to play.

UPDATED 1-8-2020 The problem continues.

FYI - Any posts about changing notifications settings so that you don’t see this message is not the solution. It may work temporarily or it may not and it might cause other wanted notifications to not be displayed. The Solution is for Spotify to FIX the problem in the applications CODE!

Do you think it matters that I emailed Spotify support about this today?!

UPDATED 1-9-2020 The problem continues and the complaints and posts from many with the same issue continues without any resolution in sight.

dmrg

Also seeing this.

Platform: Android 10 (January patch level) Build QQ1A.200105.002

Phone: Pixel 2

Spotfiy: Version 8.5.36.747

Definitely seeing increased battery utilization while the secondary "trying to play" notification is showing so I do not believe it's simply a question of disabling or masking the notification.

yarnsnbarns

Plan

Premium

Country
USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Operating System

Android 10