App troubles on Android 5.0

Hey there folks!

We've received reports from users with Android 5.0 devices reporting the app is not working after the last update. This includes the app crashing or giving a blank screen.

If you're experiencing this, please make sure to give these a try first:

• Trying a different network connection (for example if you're on WiFi, try another WiFi connection or a 3G/4G one).
  • Your device has more than 500MB available space.
  • Spotify is set as an exception for any cache clearing apps.

It'd be also helpful if you could let us know if the issue persists on a different device.

We'd also suggest performing a clean reinstall of the app on your devices by following the steps below:

1. Head here and click Remove all devices.
  2. Go to your phone’s Settings.
  3. Select Applications, then Manage applications.
  4. Find Spotify in your list of apps, tap it.
  5. Tap Clear Data.
  6. Go to Storage > Android > Data and delete a folder called com.spotify.music.
  7. Switch your device off and wait a couple minutes.
  8. Switch your device back on.
  9. Open the Google Play Store then search for and install the Spotify Music app.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure you're updated to the latest version of the Android app (8.5.4).

If you’re still experiencing this issue after updating, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!

Comments
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey there folks, 

We really appreciate all your reports regarding this.

We've passed this on to our tech teams and they'll be looking into this.

If you've tried all the steps listed in the description, please make sure to add your +VOTE and leave a comment with the following details:

• Your device 
  • The version of the Spotify app 
  • What troubleshooting steps you've tried
  • Does this persist on a different device

We'll keep you posted with any updates we have, thanks!

jdure24

Spotify v8.5.3.716 has been giving me a blank screen when I open the app for a few days. I can see the Home, Search, and Library tabs but cannot select them.

1. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 5.0. I have tried all troubleshooting methods listed above.

Spotify is working fine on my laptop; the phone app is recognizing when I play music from my laptop, but I am unable to control it.

Rikkieo
Regular

I am also using v8.5.3.716 on a Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0 and have tried all the troubleshooting steps provided. The app will recognize whatever songs I play on Spotify's desktop version which makes it possible for me to listen to them on my phone. I recorded a video showcasing the apps behaviour because I thought it might help. Somehow I was able to get to my library (2:03 and 2:24) but I'm not sure how. I think it's possible after the app crashes and instantly restarts?

VergeDomin
  • my Daughter's app is fuking the same on her Galaxy S5, same app version i have. went through the steps outlined here, no change. hopefully this gets resolved, she "needs" her Spotify. 
FizzyPop

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.1 and I pay for Spotify Premium.

For the past few days, Spotify version v8.5.3.716 has been giving me a blank screen when I open the app. I have tried clearing cache, clearing data, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, checking the battery (power saving, ie. ensuring it's not switched on for Spotify) but nothing is helping. I can see the Home, Search & Your Library buttons along the bottom of the app window, and since I uninstalled/reinstalled the app I can also see the Premium button. When I tap the first three buttons, nothing happens apart from the app often crashing, but when I tap Premium I can see text and images re: upgrading to Premium and I can scroll down. 

Spotify is working fine on my Windows 10 machine and my daughter's iPhone 6. When my daughter starts listening on her iPhone and we get in the car where my Galaxy is paired with Bluetooth, I can then start the playlist working with my car controls. I can see that track listed on my phone and details of that album/playlist (track listing etc) but I can't swap to any other albums/playlists/radio etc.

Sanaya

I am having the same problem on my Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 with Spotify v8.5.3.716 (blank screen, Home Search and Library Button visible but not reacting, App crashing). I have tried all the troubleshooting steps but nothing changed.

Spotify works well on my tablet.

Status changed to: Fixed

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure you're updated to the latest version of the Android app (8.5.4).

If you’re still experiencing this issue after updating, let us know and we’ll look into it.

Thanks!