As an user I can even control 'Spotify Connect Devices' after leaving the WLAN over LTE/Internet

Device:

Android Smartphone (with latest Spotify App)

Operating System Version:

Android 6

Spotify Version:

Description:

After connecting to any Spotify Connect device (at home or a friend) I can still control this device after leaving the 'home' notwork and switching to LTE / mobile network. And the device is still shown up in 'Available Devices'.

This is possible until any other client in the notwork starts playing on that device again. So the latest user for a device can control it over internet as long it is online and connected to Spotify Connect.

To reproduce:

1. Client 1 connects to a Spotify Connect device 'A' within a local network (i.e. WLAN)
  2. Client 1 switches off WLAN and leaves the local network.
  3. Client 1 can still control device 'A' over internet / mobile network.
  4. Cleint 2 connects to device 'A' within local network
  5. Client 1 cannot control device 'A' over internet anymore

Workaround:

The davice has to be taken over from another one.

Additional information:

Your helping sites say, that only device within the same local network can be controlled!

Please do it this way again!

Hey guys!

Thanks for getting in touch about this. Right now, what you're describing is the way that Connect is supposed to work. We'll let the right folks know your thoughts on this - we're always looking to improve Spotify in any way, so your feedback is always appreciated.

If there's anything else we can help you with, be sure to reach out again 🙂

Comments
Tpalsbjoern
Casual Listener

An additional note on this: With the above problem in Mind, consider the further feature of resuming playback when connecting to a bluetooth device. For me these two in combination mean that My Bluesound at home Starts playing whenever it reconnects to the car (even if I'm Miles from home - giving anyone at home a scare)

Natalie
Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Hey guys!

Thanks for getting in touch about this. Right now, what you're describing is the way that Connect is supposed to work. We'll let the right folks know your thoughts on this - we're always looking to improve Spotify in any way, so your feedback is always appreciated.

If there's anything else we can help you with, be sure to reach out again 🙂

Dennis_M
Casual Listener
Hi Natalie,

are you sure that 'Connect' should work like this? In your technical
description you say that you can control speaker (Connect client) in
your 'local network'.

I think that 'Connect' should only be able to control a 'Connect' client
only in local network and not via mobile network. Because it makes no
sense to control a speaker to play musik if you're not near by and have
a login to the network, or?

The only thing I see is the spotify web client, but maybe it is enough
to see the current track an have the play control on the handy, but not
switching to any other speaker somewhere else.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Related Issues