Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bluetooth Controller in car doesnt skip tracks anymore

Hey,

i have a A2 Lite  with Android 9 and since i have the  mobile phone,

my BT Media controller on my steeling wheel cannot skip any tracks on my mobile , wich is connected to my carradio. Without beeing connected to my car, the BT controller works fine.

I´ve deleted the App Chace, reinstalled it, and Spotify has all permissions. 

Anyone else with this issue?

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Comments
Gavin80

Emailed spotify support, just the same answers over and over, do a reset and reinstall, I have repeatedly told them this but just hitting a brick wall...

I have given up with them 

cylaar

Any news from Spotify on this issue?

Below are my notes on this issue in my cars and phones.

Starting a year ago (Oct 2018}, I started having issues with Spotify in by 2015 BMW (and on two rental cars, a 2019 Camaro and a 2019 tesla type s) over Bluetooth, then the steering wheel controls stopped working for Spotify, now even using the next/prev buttons on the head unit is flakey. 

All steering wheel and Bluetooth issues are specific to Spotify. YouTube works, other music apps work without issue.

I hear the same complaints from friends and coworkers with Samsung and of phones as well. Listed below are my phones and cars I've tested on myself.

Phones:

OnePlus 3t on Android 7 ,then 8, and 9, then OnePlus 6t on Android 8 and 9. Currently on OnePlus 6t 9.0.17, and the 3t is on 9.0.5 of oxygenos.

Issue persists through uninstall and reinstall of app, and full factory reset of the device.

Spotify App:

Spotify 8.5.26.1021

Vehicles:

2009 BMW 335i

Steering wheel controls worked. No track names in Spotify. (Sold 2015)

2011 BMW 335is (sold July 2018)

Steering wheel controls and track names worked for spotify until ~july 2018. Then Started getting flakey for track names, then controls. 

2015 BMW M4

Steering wheel controls and tracks worked for spotify until ~oct 2018. Then tracks names got flakey then failed entirely, followed by controls got flakey. Now steering wheel controls don't work at all for Spotify but head unit buttons do work, and track names are all unknown. Current car.

2017 Infiniti q70

Bluetooth controls flakey in Spotify. Bluetooth track names work

2011 Ford Escape

(Bluetooth track names finicky in Spotify. Controls work.)

2019 Chevy Camero

(Crashes head unit every few days, no Bluetooth audio for Spotify though track name and controls worked. Bluetooth audio works for YouTube and other audio apps. Android auto audio works for Spotify over usb)

2019 Tesla Type S

(Crashes head unit overly few days. No Bluetooth control issues and album art works)

2018 Porsche w Samsung s10 or OnePlus 6t

Flakey Spotify controls. Restart app restores functionality.

Seems like the code changes in the ~oct 2018 updates of Spotify changed the ways that it interacted with Bluetooth and started feeding the cars "playlists" rather than just track names causing issues with controls and track names. Tested with the phones in Bluetooth 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 modes. Some differences, but no resolution. Tried on multiple devices and versions of Android os and versions of the Spotify app.

Gavin80

Been an issue since 2018?

I think spotify is run by a bunch of complete **bleep**,  quick enough to take 9.99 a month off customers but can't fix a simple issue with an update 

theleebryan

How is this not sorted yet?? Really poor development going on here guys. 

my current spec:

iPhone XS, iOS 13.1.2, latest Spotify. Mini Cooper JCW 2016.

tried all the tricks mentioned, nothing. I'm giving you guys until Christmas to sort this then I'm off back to Apple Music… no problems there. Protesting with my feet and money.

theleebryan

I'm guessing Spotify has a problem with BMW and their use of Apple CarPlay… or vice versa, and we the paying public are suffering for it.

Gavin80

Maybe we all should cancel our payment's why should we pay for something that's not working anymore, it's never going to be fixed they haven't bothered in years. Bye bye spotify I think 

cylaar

@Guido any update on this issue? Been an issue for over a year.

Teundoetmaarwat

Yesterday is suddenly worked again, for a short period of time, i saw album information on my 2015 I-drive system and i could skip tracks using the steeringwheel buttons. I was happy and thougt Spotify finnaly solved the problem. 

After an hour i needed to make another trip with my car and everything was back to the same old problem... 

What a mess! fix the issue please! other music supscription services do not have this problem.

theleebryan

come on Spotify, this is ridiculous now. Very poor on your front, should've been fixed by now.

when will we get an update on this issue?

sanderszz

I managed to solve this issue for me.

I had the same problems as some of you experienced: When I used my Oneplus 6 in my Mercedes 2019 MBUX car, the Spotify songs would play, but skipping the track only worked for one song when my phone was unlocked. 

After some investigation it seemed that all commands from the car controls were send to my Google Music app. 

The solution for me was to disable Google Music (I found no way to completely remove the application without rooting my phone, but disabling worked so remove was not mandatory)

I went to settings -> apps and notifications -> seared google play Music -> stop application + completely turn off application.

After that I opened my Spotify app once again and everything worked!