Bluetooth play/pause stops working after a few minutes

I have this issue on a Galaxy S8 with Beats Solo 3 Wireless headphones. I have to close and re-open the app a few times to get it to work again. Reinstalling the app did not seem to completely fix the issue. Currently have spotify app version 8.4.28.875. Skip/Previous functionality is not affected. The Google Play music app or other music apps are not affected.

Hey folks, 

It sounds like we have a few different experiences here. 

To help our tech team get to the bottom of this, could you post the follow info:

Bluetooth Connected Device:

- Spotify App version

- Phone (make/model): 

- Quick description of the issue (eg. Load Spotify on Samsung S8 > connect bluetooth headphones > press play on headphones > can no longer play/pause on headphones after 20 seconds of listening > reinstall fixes the issue temporarily.): 

Thanks!

Related Issues

Comments
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @taormania, welcome to the Spotify community!

Can you let us know what version of Android you're currently using? Does restarting your phone before pairing with the Bluetooth headphones make any difference? 

Keep us posted :)

taormania
Casual Listener

I'm running Android 7.0 and restarting will help get the play pause back but the issue will still arise a few songs in.

Hey @taormania!

Thanks for giving it a try. Could you test a family or friend's account on your device and let us know if the same thing happens? We'd like to confirm if this is account-related.

Let us know how it goes.

taormania
Casual Listener

Hey @William_13 using another account does not appear to have resolved the issue.

Status changed to: Need more info

Thanks for the update @taormania.

Just to be sure, is this happening with certain tracks or artists? Also, try switching the app into Offline Mode before listening with Bluetooth to see if the issue persists.

You can also try to see if it happens with local files.

Be sure to keep us in the loop.

taormania
Casual Listener

@SergioDavid it definitely hasn't been for particular artists or tracks. Using Offline mode and listening to local files did not seem to correct it. At first I had to restart the app for it to work, but it eventually gave out. Skip/previous functionaltiy as well as being able to open google assistant from the headphones still works.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Just to make sure, can you try unpairing your device from your headphones and then pairing them again to see if this helps.

Keep us on the loop. 

taormania
Casual Listener

Hey @Monica_L I've tried re-pairing the headphones and that doesn't seem to solve the issue. I've also tried making sure spotify was not being put to sleep in the background and it still persists.

Hey @taormania!

Thanks for all the info so far.

Let's get to the bottom of this issue. Have you noticed if this happens when you receive a notification or when sound plays from another application? Also, do you carry multiple bluetooth devices that could be paired to Spotify?

In the meantime, do you have a different device you could try using with your headphones to test it out?

Keep us posted.

taormania
Casual Listener

Hey @Alfredo, I don't usually carry more than one device that my headphones would connect to. It doesn't seem to be limited to times when I get a notification or sounds from another app as I've been able to use the button during and just after those actions, it just eventually seems to give out. 

For a different device, are we talking about another android phone? Or any other bluetooth device like my laptop?