Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't Play Downloaded Songs When Offline

We're getting reports that downloaded songs are not playing when the app is not connected to the internet. The offline songs are grayed out but shows that they are downloaded. When connected back to the internet, same songs can be played without issues and still appear downloaded.

Hey,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We wanted to announce that this issue has been fixed from our end. However, keep in mind you might experience some inconveniences with your offline content that are caused by other things such as:

• The use of cache clearing apps/settings - these could interfere with the app's normal functions.
  • Storage issues - your device needs to have at least 1GB of free storage in order for Spotify to function correctly.
  • SD card issues - if you're using one, make sure to check out this FAQ.
  • Outdated app - not running the latest app version available can also cause performance issues. Check how to update the app in this Support article.
  • Having more than 5 devices with downloaded music - you can remove older devices by following the steps you'll find in this Support article
  • Not going online at least once in 30 days - your downloads might be removed because of this.
  • The content being removed from Spotify - the downloads will also be removed.

If you're still having trouble after checking all of the above, make sure to start a new thread in the relevant Help Board.

Comments
qwilliams29

I can't play most of my downloaded music on the app, and it's been that way since August. Re-installing and logging out/back in haven't help, nor have updating the iOS of my phone or updating the Spotify app. Please debug.

Xenia

Hey everyone,

We're having trouble recreating this issue on our end. For those of you who still have trouble playing downloaded music in the Offline Mode, it’d be great if you could tell us the exact Spotify version you are currently on as well as make and model of all the affected devices and send over a screen recording or some screenshots, so that we can investigate this further.

Thanks again - Keep us posted!

qwilliams29
I am using version 8.6.80.1180 on an iPhone 8 running iOS 15.1. I update
both the Spotify phone and desktop apps as soon as there's an update
available. There isn't really a way to record what's happening. Either the
song stops 2 seconds in, doesn't play at all, or skips unpredictably to
another 2 seconds of a playable song. Rebooting the app doesn't help.

Thanks!
uf-bjk4g_jn18

Spotify Version: 8.6.82.1634

Device Model: iPhone 12 SE

Device Version: 14.7.1

Same thing has been happening to me,

noticed it when I put my phone into airplane mode on my flight back home for Thanksgiving. I have a couple massive playlists downloaded, and I was all set to have plenty to listen to for my flight, but then no songs would play. None of my songs would be greyed out, mind you. They look just like they normally do when listening online. Strangely, I flipped through one of my playlists (this playlist I do not have downloaded, but every song in the playlist IS downloaded in a separate playlist) and SOME songs worked. The ones I had added to it over the last week and a half or so worked just fine, but then not much before that would work. Scrolling through it song by song, certain tracks would play fine, maybe 1 every 10-15 tracks, but it seemed to be completely random as to which ones worked and which ones didn’t.

After my flight and once I got to solid WiFi, I tried putting Spotify into Offline Mode (I always have it in Online Mode) and it did the same thing that it did on the flight. Everything looked exactly the same as before, but only certain songs at random would play, maybe 1 out of every 15-20 songs.

I’ve had a similarly weird issue with songs stopping after maybe 2-3 seconds on strong, stable WiFi connections for no reason. Most of these songs are downloaded and I clear my cache frequently, so I’m not sure what the problem is here.

Edit: another similar issue is that I’ll be listening to a song, seemingly perfectly fine, but then it’ll abruptly change to the next song in the queue, as if the song just ended. I don’t understand why it does this.

I’m glad I’m not alone in this! Hopefully this will be fixed soon 🤞🏻

Novy

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies.

As @Xenia mentioned, since we haven't been able to replicate this from our end and in order to continue investigating this behavior, it'd be very helpful to have some recordings or screenshots where we can see what's going on. 

You can send a link to them, or attach them using the Insert Photos or Insert Video option in the post editor. 

We'll be on the lookout.

Harrisonsola

Make: iPhone 8 Plus model: MQ8J2X/A

IOS: 14.5 (18E199)

98CB553C-9518-45A2-8DB3-B2D12C88B34E.png

 I tap the playlist download icon but it just spins and the download icons for the songs don’t turn green. Also any song I am listening too at the time in the playlist I am trying to download, it’s offline arrow icon goes green but whenever I close the app and reopen the green offline icon is gone. Also I tried to download my playlists on the desktop app and they worked but then I closed and opened the app and they aren’t coming up as downloaded.

patricialperez

This continues to happen to me, along w/my downloaded playlists disappearing.

I've downloaded playlists several times and am getting incredibly frustrated because it takes a lot of time and focus to re- search for the lists and then download them.

What is going here?

Shaz08

Its not even displaying as downloaded for me. I keep downloading, and the following day, I find that my entire playlist is unavailable to play offline 

menwannabeher

Hello !

I am using version 8.6.84.1353 on an iPhone 6 running iOS 12.5.5.

I turned the offline mode on but this is what happens whenever I try to play a downloaded song offline :

Link to the screen recording  

BEF7E5DB-121D-43D6-BEB8-0FC687635D81.png

Hope this helps you to understand the issue. 

Osnap904

I’m actually getting **bleep** off my Spotify hasn’t been playing my downloaded songs for 3 weeks and no one on Spotify is helping considering they only have robots for their costumer service. Terrible thinking of switching to Apple Music by Christmas if this isn’t mixed.