Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't Play Downloaded Songs When Offline

We're getting reports that downloaded songs are not playing when the app is not connected to the internet. The offline songs are grayed out but shows that they are downloaded. When connected back to the internet, same songs can be played without issues and still appear downloaded.

Hey,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We wanted to announce that this issue has been fixed from our end. However, keep in mind you might experience some inconveniences with your offline content that are caused by other things such as:

• The use of cache clearing apps/settings - these could interfere with the app's normal functions.
  • Storage issues - your device needs to have at least 1GB of free storage in order for Spotify to function correctly.
  • SD card issues - if you're using one, make sure to check out this FAQ.
  • Outdated app - not running the latest app version available can also cause performance issues. Check how to update the app in this Support article.
  • Having more than 5 devices with downloaded music - you can remove older devices by following the steps you'll find in this Support article
  • Not going online at least once in 30 days - your downloads might be removed because of this.
  • The content being removed from Spotify - the downloads will also be removed.

If you're still having trouble after checking all of the above, make sure to start a new thread in the relevant Help Board.

Comments
pierodelux

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue since a couple of weeks. Tried all suggestions (clearing the cache, reinstalling, unrestrincting the apps, etc.) but the problem persists. I just tried to use the account of my wife on the app of my phone and I could download an album and listen to it offline without any issue! I then logged in with my account on the same app and phone and the problem is still there! I think there is something with my account as I tried on the app on my Imac and I have the same exact problem. Please help this is very frustrating! Thanks in advance

TURSTY

Does anyone from Spotify even read these forums?
Under investigation since 2021. 28 pages of comments and over 1000 likes. Come on Spotify......sort this out ay?

EDIT: Just spoke to Spotify support via chat for another issue, and raised this thread to them. This is the reply I got. "With regards to the playback issues you're experiencing when logged in on your phone, our Technical team is aware of the issue and is now working for a fix. Hopefully we'll have it resolved soon!"

bjorkbutnotbjork1

Plan: Premium Duo

Device: iPhone XR

Operating System: iOS 16.1.2

Spotify Version: 8.8.4.551

I can't play all of my downloaded music offline. I open the app while I'm offline and all my downloaded songs are all grayed out

When I'm offline

D4B3BB42-6A20-46DF-9B11-85D540E60EA4.png

When I'm online

4584C480-C951-4C4B-84B4-1F6998080776.png

I have tried the 'clean reinstall' method solution several times although to no fruition. If I was online seconds ago, now offline, and I open spotify from my recently used apps, yes, it shows that I have them downloaded (there are green arrows next to the songs) and I can play them but spotify stops playing after 20 minutes or so as it finally recognised that there is something wrong with my downloads. Now, it will show that my downloaded playlists aren't really downloaded (no green arrows next to the songs).

Also I downloaded my songs on my tablet as I thought there was something wrong with my phone but it's the same story. I think the problem  lies within my account.

This has been ongoing for 3 weeks now. Please fix this.

nabihakazi

the songs dont show up when offline

nabihakazi_1-1674839449314.png

and im facing the same problems on my other devices as well for example on my laptop:

nabihakazi_2-1674839513255.png

and even on my tablets and other accounts my current plan is family plan i faced the same problem even on the mini premium.

nabihakazi

device: huawei matebook d15

date: 12/27/2022

windows 11

nabihakazi_0-1674840019727.png

i have tried all troubleshooting steps none of them worked for me i have checked all comments tried all possible solutions not one of them worked.

Jefff

Same issue and tried the steps to no avail. 

Summary

Make/model of the device and OS version: iPhone 13 mini , ios 16.3

Spotify version number: 8.8.4.551

Troubleshooting steps tried: clear cache, remove downloads, re-install

The date you started noticing this issue on: January 2023

Device: Pixel 5a, Android 13 system

Noticed January 2023

Spotify version 8.8.4.518

Just like many people in this thread, my songs say they are downloaded but are greyed out once I am not connected to internet or data, or if offline mode is turned on. Downloaded podcasts still work, but no music will play. This has been happening for a few weeks now. It started happening after I joined a family premium plan, as I was on a regular single plan before.

I have done a clean reinstall of the app multiple times, as well as deleting all the downloaded music and redownloading. I have also checked for system updates and app updates, but there are none. Nothing has worked so far.

Device: iPhone 13, iOS 16.3

Spotify Version: 8.8.5.553

Noticed: November 2022

I've tried clean reinstalling the app using the instructions, have reached out to customer service who have "reset my account", app updates, playing with the settings on my device... nothing has worked. 

Sounds like it's happening to a whole bunch of people that are originally on an Individual premium plan, then get added onto a Family plan (I too am in this boat). Beyond frustrating that this issue has over 1000+ votes and dates back to Oct 2021 but with no fix or update from Spotify. 

Cone911

Me and my wife decided to jump on a duo subscription plan because it made sense, but it's been a nightmare for me ever since because now I can't play downloaded songs while offline.

I travel a lot and this was a must have feature for me, so I've tried the following, but with no positive results:

- Reinstalling the app.
- Redownloading the songs.
- Clearing Spotify's cache.

I've also tried the same stuff from a different device (tablet) and it's the same problem, which is making me think it's an issue at the account level.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20 and my tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8. Her account is the "main" account and I joined duo using the join link.

What do you think I should try next?

ARIHAD2000

I think Spotify does this so that you will go back to a single user
premium account and pay. This has been going on for a long time and nothing
is done about it. I switched back to a single premium account and now is
working just fine , 🤬