Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Car View] Landscape rotation doesn't work

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy 7

Operating System

Android 8

My Question or Issue

The newest update seems to have completely disabled the auto landscape rotation for Spotify for me, in all screens. As of yesterday it worked fine, but as soon as I downloaded the new update with the updated car mode this morning, it seems to be fixed to portrait/vertical view no matter what I do.

I tried restarting the phone, quitting/re-opening Spotify, disabling and re-enabling car mode, and disabling/re-enabling the rotation feature on my phone. No effect. All other apps on my phone rotate as normal.

I'm really hoping that this is a bug and not something that was intended, as having Spotify locked to vertical makes the car mode mostly useless for me, and completely removes the functionality the old style allowed for (for my needs). The new buttons aren't large enough to be of use with where I have to put my phone in my car, and I'm not interested in forcing a change to voice commands only.

Hoping this gets fixed quickly, if a bug. Thank you!

UPDATE: Fixed for me as of version 8.5.89.901! Can see full response in my reply here.

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us. 

We just wanted to let you know that we've checked this with the right folks and they confirmed that currently Car View doesn't support landscape mode. However, they're looking into possibilities to enable this feature in future app versions. 

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for the relevant update, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up-to-date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again! 

Comments
Palalet

Samsung s7, android 8, spotify 8.5.88.883

Will not reinstall or beta test, but car mode is **bleep** as mentioned above. Fix it

Swana2k

Just updated to version 8.5.89.901 and this is STILL an issue!

Skalidra

UPDATE from OP: Updated to version 8.5.89.901, and it seemed to fix the issue! Landscape mode/rotation now seems to work, both in car mode and outside. Full functionality seems to have been restored! (Before this update I did try a fresh install, but it didn't seem to help.)

On a side note, I'm honestly super disappointed in the other commenters here. Like seriously, you understand how bugs work, right? They're bugs because they didn't show up in general testing. It's not 'beta testing' or Spotify not knowing what they're doing. They can't fix it without having a sample size of people having the issue to pinpoint what's causing it, and them saying, 'Hey, try a reinstall, that might fix it' isn't using you, it's literally a thing that might fix your problem. Check your entitlement at the door.

NitroExpress

Update 8.5.89.901 seems to fix the problem. In my case landscape only works in car mode.

@Skalidra 

If Spotify would test their updates a bit longer before fireing up, we dont need to discuss things like that here..

Skalidra
It would be intensely cost prohibitive to try and test every single aspect
of every new patch on every single type of phone/version/software blend,
and obviously this is not a widespread problem given the relatively low
number of responses here. Bugs happen. Tech is weird sometimes. I get this
is a frustrating time, but there's no need to be rude about it; demanding a
fix without being willing to try or do anything (or give any information)
doesn't help anyone in this scenario.
Swana2k

Confirmed this has now been fixed.

Thank you

I think many peoples frustration is not purely down to this specific bug (which as you say do happen) but also the fact that over last couple of years Spotify have removed landscape functionality (certainly from the Android app) without any explanation and many users prefer that view.

(Certainly I do when driving)

There have been countless posts on this and they are closed as 'non issues' or just ignored.

So when it doesn't work at all they rightly feel aggrieved.

jdellcar

I don't know why every time it comes up, Spotify acts like Landscape mode is a new and unheard of issue. Plenty of frustration surrounding it and every post is met with shock and surprise then casualty ignored. 

At this point (over the past six years of watching landscape mode variations), it's nice to have something to see in landscape (again). But in "car mode" there is no album art. If I can browse the entire catalog, why bother making a single screen simplistic?

I'm baffled as to why Spotify can't think of a use case of someone placing a phone on its side at their desk, in their car, in their hand, etc. 

Screenshot_20210108-115406_Spotify.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-115419_Spotify.jpg

Ivan
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us. 

We just wanted to let you know that we've checked this with the right folks and they confirmed that currently Car View doesn't support landscape mode. However, they're looking into possibilities to enable this feature in future app versions. 

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for the relevant update, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up-to-date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again! 

Swana2k

Have you actually read the thread?! @Ivan Or yet again just posted the usual standard generic response.

It is/has been working (maybe not for some devices) for few weeks now.

Screenshot_20210112-112502.png

adp7rvunfwnr0pn

With the new August 2021 update, landscape mode in Car Mode doesn't work again