CarPlay black screen, no controls after updating to iOS 12

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone 7+

Operating System: iOS 12

Spotify no longer displays anything in my CarPlay. It's just a blank, black screen without audio controls or anything. The CarPlay navigation in the left sidebar is still available and I can switch to other apps which all seem to work, but Spotify is just blank. Must be an iOS 12 issue because it worked fine before that.

I posted about this in the Carplay subreddit as well and I was not the only one experiencing this so it doesn't appear to be a problem unique to my phone.

Hey everyone,

We've let the right folks know about the issues with the display when using Spotify with CarPlay.

If this occurs for you, we'd recommend giving these a try first:

• Make sure Siri is turned on.
  • Check your iPhone has the latest version of iOS.
  • Restart your iPhone and your car.
  • If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  • Try a different Lightning to USB cable.
  • Check that Spotify is on the latest version.

If that doesn't do the trick, let us know the following so we can get this reported to the right teams:

• Desicription of what exactly happens.
  • Your device and exact OS version
  • Which car model are you using CarPlay on and its OS version
  • The version of Spotify you're on
  • Screenshot.

We'll keep you updated here. Thanks!

Related Issues

Comments
nesguep

Not to me, and I’m running fully updated. I don’t think the problem is my car, but could it?

Locomoco10

sometimes when i disconnect iphone and then reboot the iphone (turn off/on) then reconnect it to the carplay it fixes things.  i think it kind of resets everything.

nesguep

Gonna try that, thing is that maybe you are already driving when this happens what can cause an accident if you start rebooting your phone while driving.

weird thing is that Tidal is giving me the same problem, hence maybe the problem is Apple

Baldynapper75
I think it’s all down to Apples IOS updates
Jgrahamiii
Regular

My problem is that about 1/2 the time (at least) that I get in the car and plug in USB the screen (Acura TLX) says “The music has ended) rather than starting where I left off. The Now Playing link is not available on the car’s screen, and I’ve had to select Recent to restart my Playlist, Station or Album.   And then it starts at song 1 no matter how long the playlist. 

Fortunately I have just discovered that if I look at the phone screen and not car screen, the last song (and position in that song is in the lower part of the screen and I can hit Play there to start it up. Then CarPlay has all the correct info and playlist loaded. A bit of a pain, but usually done before I drive away from curb. 

What we really need in carplay is ability to easily create Starions when we hear something we like (Pandora-style) and to directly select created stations (missing from CarPlay Your Library interface for some reason). 

lreeve95

I have a similar issue but get a “null” error. I’ve attached a screenshot. Can not pinpoint exactly what causes this to happen but it has happened more frequently after iOS 12 upgrade. 

9EBABDCB-CA49-4E44-8CB1-A2CA44422608.png
hacky98

I have the same problem!

zzap
Casual Listener

THIS WORKED FOR ME TODAY!

I am stille experiencing problems with Spotify on Carplay, either getting black screens, grey screens or an incomplete user interface. Everything else works, Google Maps, Apple Maps, Messages, etc

Only Spotify fails miserably and VERY often!

I have tried a number of options, including resetting the car radio, forgetting and repairing Bluetooth, but today I tried the following steps successfully:

1) removing the cable connection,

2) forcing Spotify to shut down, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330,

3) clearing the iPhone memory, https://www.marcforrest.com/2015/12/01/how-to-easily-clear-ram-on-your-ios-device/

It only worked, when I did all 3 steps, but I'm thinking it might work with #3 only and will try that next time

Status changed to: Need more info

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all your reports regarding issues with the display when using Spotify with CarPlay.

If this occurs for you, we'd recommend giving these a try first:

• Make sure Siri is turned on.
  • Check your iPhone has the latest version of iOS.
  • Restart your iPhone and your car.
  • If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  • Try a different Lightning to USB cable.
  • Check that Spotify is on the latest version.

If that doesn't do the trick, let us know the following so we can get this reported to the right teams:

• Your device and exact OS version
  • Which car model are you using CarPlay on and its OS version
  • The version of Spotify you're on

We'll keep an eye out for your replies!

chronix10

Having the exact same cannot connect to spotify null issues. Every other app works besides spotify. Ive been having this issue for months now. About to completely ditch this horrible application for apple music.