Chrome 56: Broken Web Player

I logged into Spotify on Google Chrome v.56 to discover the Spotify web player does not work.


Clearing cookies/cache and restarting does not work. Making sure that Spotify's plug-in is given special access does not work.


I've already tried:

In Chrome:
Preferences > Settings > Privacy > Content settings > Unsanded plug-in access > Manage exceptions.

Add '[*.]'

Mark as 'Allow'

Click 'Finished'




Hi everyone!


Thanks for all your recent reports here. This should now be fixed.


If you're still experiencing issues, we'd recommend checking your VPN or any internal restrictions on your network. VPN's can cause issues when used with Spotify and if possible, we'd suggest disabling them. 

We'd also suggest clearing your browser's cache/cookies and refreshing.




@ZullyB That link loads and lets me login. When I get to where I can see music it won't let me play any of it. Same issue. Thank you for the response. Please advise.


Hey guys! 


Since the issue is affecting most of you using Chrome with the new web player. We've passed all the info you've shared with us to the right team so they can take a look.


In the meantime, you can try using the desktop app.


Remember we're still testing out the new version of the web player, so it's not available to everyone just yet. So that's why some of the other accounts you guys have tested (friends accounts) might still work with the old version. More info here.


Stay tuned here for any updates.


Take care 🙂


so apperently it was rolled back for a while for me, but since today i am back to and it is broken again. Will try the agent trick for now.


I have chrome 57.0.2987.98, using the google user agent plugin works great for now, just blacklist as a ie10 website to force it.


Still not working for me. Super frustrating.  Capture.JPG  


Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey guys! 


We're currently moving this to Under Investigation since our team is currently looking into it. 


We'll share any updates soon. 


Thanks for your patience. 


@Mara_F Will there be some kind of credit to the affected accounts? I purchased premium to use at my office, which has horrible cell reception, so the web player is the only way I can listen to it during the day. Fairly frustrating to not be able to use what I'm paying for. 


Same problem here. Chrome 57.0.2987.133. Other browsers work. I am not using any ad-blockers. Very annoying, please help.


Well, my webplayer was working for a few weeks on this one machine because you rolled back to the old one, but then this morning, the new design is back and the same problem is back as well. I get the infuriatingly vague "Oops sopmething went wrong with playback" message and nothing works on the player. I cleared cookies and cache, re-started, tried the unsanded plugins thing and checked Flash.

Nothing works. PLEASE let me go back to the working version of the webplayer. PLEASE! Or, give me a credit for the time I can't use what I am paying for (dont offer to cancel my premium subscription. Thats not giving credit.)


I just figured out that the web player works just fine on my home PC (same OS = Windows 10, same browser = Chrome, same browser version = 57.0.2987.133). So I booted my work laptop, on which I ran into the problem, at home and in my home network, the web player works on that machine, too. The only difference I can think of is the firewall I am behind at work. But I am positive that the web player used to work there previously.


Web player stopped working today.

I run Chrome 56.0.2924.87 behind a company firewall and I get loads of these in the Javascript console


XMLHttpRequest cannot load
Response to preflight request doesn't pass access control check: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource.
Origin '' is therefore not allowed access. The response had HTTP status code 403.