Free

Country

USA

Device

Chromebook

Operating System

Chrome OS

My Question or Issue

My song will play regularly, but stops at 9 seconds, pauses for like 5 seconds, then plays again. I've tried signing out, restarting my computer, even using a whole other browser.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for your reports on this.

We've spoken to the relevant team, and we've concluded that this is an issue which is specific to users' individual networks.

As a result, we suggest you reach out to your network manager and ask them to look into this further on their end.

Make sure to check out this Spotify Answer which answers some frequently asked questions about using Spotify on a Chromebook.

If you're experiencing any issues or have any further questions, make sure to start a thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

48 Replies

Hey @Zepzzzy.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We're wondering if this happens on a different account as well. and if any other songs show the same behavior.

If you could also try out the Android app on your Chromebook. This might be a suitable work-around. Here you can read how to run Android apps on a Chromebook device.

Hope it will help. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Plan

Unlimited

Country

UK

Device

Chromebook

Operating System

Chrome OS

I have the same issue.

Every song I play freezes at 9 seconds for a few moments. I'm unable to download Andorid apps to this Chromebook.

It's been like this for 4 or 5 days now. I'm not having the same issue when using Spotify on my phone or on a Mac computer so it must be a web player issue.

I have the exact same problem!!! It'll stop at the 9 sec mark and then will continue after 5-10 seconds. All of my info is the same as the original poster!

EDIT: ALL songs do this. No matter what song I play, it pauses at the 9 second mark.

Every track pauses at 9 seconds briefly, then continues.  Just started happening a couple days ago.  I have tried all the suggested remedies, such as clearing cache, restarting, going incognito, etc.  Very annoying.

Hey all,

We've been receiving reports that some songs are stopping when listening to them on a Chromebook.

If you are experiencing this issue, here's some things you can try:

• Clear cache
  • Clear Cookies
  • Reboot Chromebook

If this doesn't help, please send us over the following so we can further investigate:

• Which Chromebook you are using
  • Chrome OS version

As a temporary work-around you could try to install the Android app on your Chromebook. Here you can read how to run Android apps on a Chromebook device.

Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to your reply.

My Chromebook is a Asus Model C300M.

Chrome OS version is 75 I believe.

Problem is still persisting, after 9 seconds on every song it freezes for a few seconds. 

Thanks @digforvictory for sending over your info.

@terrydpirate@Zepzzzy and @hailee3, could you also send us over the following?

• Which Chromebook you are using
  • Chrome OS version

Looking forward to your reply!

Guido, thanks. My issue has resolved itself, no more 9 second pause each
track. It was turned off for about 12 hours. I have* Dell Chromebook
3180, **Version 75.0.3770.102 (Official Build) (64-bit). *I hope for no
more issues, I really dig Spotify.
Terry

I'm still getting the freeze after 9 seconds.

Been close to a week of this now.

Any news on what it might be?

Hey @digforvictory,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Have you tried doing the following?

• Clear cache
  • Clear Cookies
  • Reboot Chromebook

Hope this helps. Let us know what the result is.

Have a nice day!

I installed the Android version from Google Play on my Chromebook a few
days ago. Tracks play smoothly, no interruptions. May I suggest this to
other Chromebook users?

Hi. I have an Acer Chromebook 15 running Version 75.0.3770.102 (Official Build) (64-bit). I tried all the provided solutions and it did not help.

Hi Guido and the Spotify team,

This issue mentioned also happens on my Laptop running Windows 7, so this doesn't seem to be an issue unique to Chromebook.

Hey @hailee3 - thanks for getting back to us. Is this still an issue for you, even after installing the Android version from the Google Play store as @terrydpirate suggested? If so let us know and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

@Yoyo2020 - thanks for reporting this to us. Since this thread is specifically for Chromebook, do you mind creating a new thread in the relevant help board here? We'll jump in and help you out there 😉

Thanks guys!

Still happening.

Is nothing being done to fix this?

Exactly the same thing is happening to me. I am using an Acer Chromebook15 cb3-532 - Every so many seconds the music stops ...then starts again, plays another 15 to 30 seconds then stops again.  I feel so bad as I just tried using the sandboxed app which actually sounded FANTASTIC but, had the same problem and thought it was the app! I gave it  4 stars for the great idea and sound but, the stopping and starting made me uninstall! THis is a Spotify problem for sure. I am not the only one going through this. Man, I was ready to send my new earphones back thinking they didn't work. I basically am one of those strange people that uses my computer to mostly listen to music. I finally thought to try everything on youtube and had no skipping, hiccupping or any problems with my computer, headphones or any other of my extensions or apps. The one thing I CAN think of is I recently dumped all the junk I was not using on the android apps. I only installed them to listen to spotify! It was way too work intensive unfortunately. Constantly having to check space used and a million other time wasting offenses so I dumped it.  Could be a coincidence or not. This hiccupping started right after I disabled google play and android. Just thought I'd toss that in. I always delete data and cookies daily. Have rebooted - still cannot get it to stop! PLEASE, Please fix this problem. 

Hi Marianne
I am one of those who use my Chromebook for music mainly. If your
Chromebook can run Android apps (I believe this became a feature in new
Chromebooks last year.) I have no problem at all running Spotify's android
version, and I think it sounds a smidge better. You can also swap some
storage for additional memory, which which may help improve audio
performance. First, open the Crosh terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T
inside Google Chrome. A terminal will open up in a new tab, simply type
after the cursor at the bottom, swap 1000 (or swap 2000 if you want more,
but this is the highest recommended.) Hope you can get Spotify enjoyable
again.
Terry

Thank you for your reply and idea Terry but I do not have a clue as to how to do this. I am what I consider to be "techno impaired" (ha ha) and would not know how to begin "OPENING" my chromebook. The rest sounds easy but I googled how to open a chromebook to access crosh and knew this was not going to be something I could figure out.  Anyway, so very nice of you to try and help but, there are a whole lot of us out there that are older folks. I just tried helping an 80 year old who was trying to reinstall spotify and remove the sandboxed version. (Which is what I what to do once this issue is fixed, I LOVED the rich sound and found it superior in everyway to the android app as well as the regular Spotify app and web player. I think it uses less space as well. Not sure about that. I also read the reviews on the sandboxed version and many people are using it and also loving it. Unfortunately, it has the same hiccup problem right now. THIS TELLS ME IT HAS TO BE A SPOTIFY PROBLEM. I could be full of it, but, that seems to make sense to me.  I am sixty an therefore, did not grow up with computers. So, it can be really difficult to understand many (or most) things that the computer generation just take for granted. I VERY much appreciate your reply Terry and thank you again. I hope this works for others that know how to access crosh (?) but, it seems from what I read, (after finding out I could not figure it out,) was, it didn't work for others that DID try it. They STILL HAD HICCUPS using Spotify with ANDROID. I also strongly believe,  WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE THE WEB PLAYER or even JUST THE APP, WITHOUT HAVING TO INSTALL ANDROID.  YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO REMOVE MOST OF THE ANDROID APPS.  I really find that unacceptable.  I hate having apps I do not use or want but, are FORCED to keep them. All I needed was the ability to get to spotify.  If you have ever tried to completely get rid of any of the android apps, it is near impossible. It's all or nothing. I should be able to USE THE APP FOR CHROMEBOOK WITHOUT HAVING TO USE THE ANDROID APPS and THAT is WHAT I WANT TO SEE HAPPEN. I think this is a Spotify bug or glitch that NEEDS to be FIXED. (Not yelling just trying to make the most important issues stand out) Many, many thanks for valiant try! Peace to all. 

Suggested posts