We’re receiving reports that it's not possible to play certain songs on Connect devices.
First, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app on your device by following the steps here.
If after that you’re still experiencing the issue, could you provide us with the following info:
Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.
Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂
Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.
We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone!
Make sure you to perform a clean reinstall of the app to ensure the changes are reflected in the app.
Same issue here, been happening for days, sometimes an album can't be cast from my library (keeps on "connecting") but going to the album page and casting from there works perfect.
I've been talking to SpotifyCares on Facebook wasting a lot of time as they are completely useless. Really is one of the worst customer support experiences I've had.
Anyways I've boiled at least my problem down to this:
* Casting any song from my library doesn't work on Android.
* Applies both trying to cast to Chromecast as well as casting to Spotify desktop from the Android app
* Casting songs not in the library works
* Uninstall, remove offline devices, reinstall (or logout, remove offline devices, login) temporarily fixes the issue, but it comes back again
* Casting from web player does not have this issue or at least I've not been able to reproduce it there
Would wish Spotify engineering team was a bit more involved here and give some status.
Personally, I'm seconds away to switching to YouTube Music. Hey, for a family account it's 15% cheaper and does the same thing except Google seems to have managed to implement casting reliably.
Nokia 6.1, Android 9
Unable to play (certain) Albums
Please take more care on quality after every sprint, it's devOPS, not only dev.
Casting from web player or desktop works without any issues. Casting from library on Android doesn't work to Chromecast, web or desktop. Funny thing is if I start on desktop/web cast to phone, then cast from phone to Chromecast it works.
This morning I did a clean reinstall Spotify on my Win10 laptop and Samsung S7 phone running Android 8.0.0. The problem is still there. On the webplayer it works without a problem.
Then I tried to this to test it:
Spotify: Get your s**t together - this is NOT what I am paying for! This make me feel I am playing something from the net in 2001, not 2019!
Hello,just about everything described in this thread applies to me as well:
Here's my gear:
In it's current state Spotify is so annoying with Chromecast that it's practically unusable. Please fix soonish or I have to switch over to some other service.
Spotify :686 version
Pixel 3 on Android 10 and Huawei 10 Tablet Android 9
Using Chromecast Audio / Home Mini
I am paying since years but can't listen anymore to my loudspeakers.
From any device it is not connecting. If i deinstall spotify, start my device and reinstall spotify it works once. Sometimes, sometimes still not connecting.
Telling Home mini to play over Spotify works. Not from Phone/Tablet.
I alos wondered why Album Songs just stopping playing after the first song. I can not listen to albums, that i noticed sometimes.
If i get it working for one music session the day after it will not connect again.
Currently i am listening over HOME via BT streaming from phone to chromecast audio.... Terrible qlty...
Already tried delete cache, remove download songs, uninstall/ reinstall Spotify on phone but still doesn't work.
Sometimes stream successfully but phone and other device will play the song at the same time, latter Google Spearker will say "sorry Spotify being played in other device" or YAMAHA home theater will stopped after the song is played. Sony TV only shows Spotify Logo screen but doesn't work at all.
Select target streaming device from the app will show "connecting" but never connect.
Use voice command to ask Google Speaker to play the same song will work.
See also my post from yesterday
Today i got the update 220.127.116.112 - the problem still exists in this version too.