Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] “Listen on other device” not working on iOS 14

Tried every single suggestion listed so far and nothing has helped.

That said, I have more data that might help the debug.

1) All iOS (2 iphones and 1 ipad) devices in my house have the same problem connecting to local speakers

2) Both accounts on my duo account have the issue

3) My desktop spotify app works fine, which is also on the home network (futhermore this being an IOS problem)

4) When my desktop app plays something, then the local speakers actually show up on the iOS devices.  Then eventually vanish.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to see that the original issue reported in this thread seems be fixed, judging by your reports. Just make sure your app and your OS is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Suavi

Hello,

**bleep** updating iOS 14.2 on iPhone X and iPad, I cannot see the music playing on one of the mobiles in the ‘play’ window of the control center of the other and vice  but when I go to window of Spotify I see that music plays on the other device, can switch playlist, start or stop playing but cannot control the volume. However when I play on iMac (MacOS 11) both mobiles control the playing as it supposed to be, whereas if it is other way round (ie. play on mobile) I cannot control the volume (only) of the mobile from iMac app. 

I tried all recommendations mentioned here before but not worked.

Regards

thebestmix

I was finally able to get the app to display the “local network” permissions prompt by accident.

I was browsing the different categories in the Settings menu, and under “Audio Quality” when I scrolled down to “Download”, I toggled on the “Download Using Cellular” option, and believe it or not, the “local network” permissions dialog popped up.

However, despite the fact that “Local Network” is now among the things that Spotify is permitted to access, I still cannot get my TV to show up in the Devices menu to control the Spotify app on it with my iPhone.

Unfortunately I don’t have any other network that I can connect both my phone and my smart TV to as my hotspot is my only internet service.

I’m kind of grasping at straws here, but since it seems like different users with the same app version have different experiences and you are unable to replicate it, I’m wondering if there is a setting on your side that prevents certain songs from being played on a remote device for copyright reasons or such, and perhaps those of us who are having issues have one or more of those songs on our playlists.

Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies and for trying all the troubleshooting steps that's been provided.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Ver
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

First, we'd recommend trying a clean reinstall of the app on your device by following the steps here.

If after that you’re still having trouble with this, could you provide us with the following info:

• Device + Operating system version 
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Type, brand and model of the speakers
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried

Once we have that, we will pass it on to the relevant team, who will look further into it.

Thanks!

dvmierlo

I had a similar issue where my iPhone XS running iOS 14  "sees" that music is playing on my stereo via Spotify Connect. But I could not control the music. The "Listening on ..." also did not work correctly. Even if I fully closed and restarted the Spotify app. My iPhone also had a bluetooth connection with another bluetooth speaker. When I disabled bluetooth on my iPhone, Spotify started working as normal again. Also the "Listening on ..." worked normally. I did not have to restart the Spotify app. In this situation my iPhone and stereo are connected to my own WiFi network.

I have noticed this behaviour where I could not control the volume via the Spotify app with bluetooth enabled even before iOS 14. It looks to me that there is a bug in Spotify when bluetooth is enabled.

Mik075

Device + Operating system version:

Apple iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.3

Exact Spotify version:

Type, brand and model of the speakers:

Other iPhone Xs, iOS 14.3

Troubleshooting steps you've tried:

Before, we were able to play music on one iPhone and control that from both our iPhones, both on Wi-Fi as on mobile data. We share the same account, one time we play from my IPhone, the other time we play from hers. Since iOS 14 we're not able anymore. We can both listen on our iPhones at the same time from the same account, but we want to listen together from one phone and control it from both. Tried everything in this post, nothing helps. Last steps with both phones at the same time:

- log out from Spotify 

- remove Spotify app

- turn both iPhones off

- turn both iPhones on

- install Spotify app 

In no case we can see each others devices within the Spotify app.

Please help!

Katerina
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments with the requested details. 

We've reported this with the right teams so that they can take a closer look.

If you're also experiencing troubles to connect to devices in the same network on an iOS 14 device, make sure to add your +VOTE if you haven't already to this Ongoing Issue.

We'd first recommend trying some basic troubleshooting:

• A thorough app reinstallation
  • Switch both your devices to a different network (both will need to be on the same)
  • Double-check if the issue occurs when both devices are connected to the home wifi network (making sure no device is connected through hotspot).
  • Your devices are running the latest software versions and Spotify version available
  • Try toggling on/off Show local devices only from the app's Settings > Devices

If after that you’re still having trouble, could you provide us with the following info:

• Device + exact operating system version 
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Type, brand and model of the speakers or device that you're trying to Connect
  • Are you seeing Spotify listed in your device's Privacy > Local Network settings?
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried so far
  • Any additional helpful details, like a screenshot or recording of what's happening - just make sure that there's no private or sensitive info displayed

We'll keep you updated here so we'd also recommend subscribing to this thread to stay up to speed.

Thanks!

Tobyonecanobi

Hi everyone, 

I'm experiencing the same problem here. My iPhone 12 IOS 14, as well as my iPad pro-2020 and MacBook, don't show Sonos devices. Sometimes they reappear suddenly but get lost very quickly.

I have a premium family account and two of my family members have no issue at all (iOS 14) and one of them does as well. 

Followed all the advices on clean re-installs, restarting router, AP's, etc. Nothing works. 

Really hope this will be solved soon. 

Mario

Hey @Tobyonecanobi ,

Thanks for reaching out.

Just to confirm, have you also double-checked if the issue occurs when both the Apple and Sonos devices are connected to the home wifi network (making sure no device is connected through hotspot)?

Cheers!

0x_vp1p1-iq0f

I have this issue also, but for me not related to iOS 14 upgrade since this feature worked fined for me up until some weeks ago.

iPhone XS isn't able to see ANY Spotify Connect devices.