Connect only plays 100 song chunks of playlists

Device:

Windows

Operating System Version:

Win 7

Spotify Version:

10.21.143.g76c19bcd

Description:

When I play music over connect the remote computer only seems to have access to the 100 subsequent songs from the song I start playing from. For example, if have a playlist of songs from 1:200 and start playing song 1, then press the previous song button instead of playing song 200 it plays song 100. Subsequent presses of the previous song button play tracks 99,98,97... etc. The same issue appears to occur if I have shuffle turned on.

To reproduce:

1. Play music over spotify connect

Workaround:

N/A

Additional information:

Occurs both with computer to computer play as well as phone to computer play.

Only occurs when the playlist is started on the "remote" device. For example, if I want to control my computer via my phone, the bug does NOT occur if I double click a song on my computer and then control everything from my phone. If, however, I open up my phone and select my computer as a remote device and then begin to play music via the phone, the error occurs.

Hi folks, thanks for your patience while we investigate this issue for you. 

We can assure you the right team are aware of this issue between Shuffle and Connect and they're investigating. We'd like to be transparent with the fact we don't have an exact timeline available for a fix (which is why this has the status Not Right Now), but we'd recommend you keep an eye out for updates to the app. The team are aware of this thread and the number of users that have said they're experiencing the issue.

As soon as we have more info on this we'll post here. Thanks again everyone.

Comments
DatsiK96

I realise that Spotify has an algorithim to decide how it shuffles music. I get the idea behind it.

However, it is in need of some major rework.

Here's an example:

Take a playlist that you've been listening to for a while. Make sure every song is played on it.

Then, add a new album to it. One that maybe, you haven't listened to in a long time or that you haven't ever listened too.

Now shuffle.

Are you seeing the issue? All the new songs you added are at the top, playing in consecutive order. How is this possible while shuffling?

Now, go ahead, try and reshuffle as many times as you want. I'm sure you're thinking it's just a coincidence that they are all up there like that. Keep unshuffling and reshuffling, the order that all the new songs will change, but they are still located at the top of the queue, all of them.

Now, skip every song till you hit your old music.

Reshuffle. wheres the new music? It's at the bottom now.

Spotify thinks since you haven't listened to that music, you want to listen to it in order and immediately.

It also thinks since you skipped that music that you don't want to hear it. Likewise, if you actually listen to it, Spotify will deprioritize those songs because you've listened to them.

This also means that if you've listened to music before, it will prioritize music that you haven't listened too recently/too often. Meaning, that music that you have listened too is at the bottom.

This causes a never ending imbalance of music that I'm listening too.

Think about it like this:

In our scenario, we've taken music we've listened to, and added more music to it. Well I've been listening to the old music for a month now, but I want the new music mixed in. Spotify just played it all for me in consecutive order. Now that I've heard the new music once, it's going to not shuffle those again at the top. Meaning I have to listen to almost all of my old music first, then at the bottom of the playlist, reach the new music. But if I listen to all of that old music, I won't hear it again once I reach the new music because it's been played recently. Meaning that all the music I'm listening to is being listened to in order of the periods in which I add them to the playlist.

This is not a shuffle system, this is broken.

This is wrong.

As I said before, I get adding an algorithem, but this is excessive. This sounds like it may be cool for playlists that I do not make myself because I can't remove songs from it, but for my own playlists, just leave it alone, play it random. If I don't want to listen to some music on it, I remove it from the playlist. Otherwise, I want it in a mix, truely in a RANDOM and SHUFFLED mix.

Fix this please.

Websites that offer 'fixes' for this issue are recommending switching to Google Play or iTunes. That's not helpful to either the community or Spotify as a business.

My recommendation: Make shuffle random.

Marauder2

I came to the forums to see what was wrong with the shuffle because I couldn' figure it out..

I can shuffle an Artist and it will play an album in the proper order, repeat songs or even finish without having played all the songs. What's the point of shuffling.

If Spotify wants to persist with their algorithms, maybe they can call it "Smart Shuffle" or something and then "Shuffle" would be the regular randomized shuffle of all songs. 

DatsiK96
This. I agree with this completely.
rosscee98

I know that the shuffle feature isn't a 'true' shuffle, but instead involves Spotify's use of an algorithm to make a shuffle that seems more 'realistic' to us, or whatever it is.

All I know is, over the last few days, it feels like this feature has totally broken down. When I shuffle play my saved music, it basically just plays all the songs I've saved in the last couple weeks, and it does this every time I shuffle it. It's infuriating! I have no idea what changed, but honest to god please change it back until you figure out what went wrong. I have thousands of songs saved in my library and I'm just hearing the same 20 odd songs played.

SergioDavid
Roadie
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @rosscee98, welcome to the Community!

How long has this been going on for? What device, operating system, and Spotify version are you using? Also, how many tracks do you have saved under your Songs tab?

We'll see what we can suggest.

rosscee98

Hey @SergioDavid,

I couldn't say exactly how long this has been happening, but certainly over the last week or so it's been very noticeable. I'm normally listening through my iPhone 6S, but sometimes I'm also using my MacBook Air and my new Google speaker, and it's the same issue with all of them (all of the devices are on the latest OS, and Spotify is fully updated too).

I have around 3,000 songs saved overall. It's never been a problem I've noticed in the past, but now whenever I shuffle play, it's very noticable that the most recently saved songs are all coming first, to the extent where I'm getting sick of hearing them. I'll skip through a handful, say 30 songs in the queue, and still it's more recent ones which are queued up next.

I can't imagine it's an issue only I would have, but at the same time if it was more widespread I'd have thought others would be complaining as well, so it's quite strange

SergioDavid
Roadie

Thanks for the info.

What iOS and OS X versions are you running on both devices? We'll also need to know the Spotify versions. Laslty, is this happening with playlists as well?

Let us know.

J-parti

I think I'm having the same issue, except my playlist is organized by title not date and it only plays songs starting with a number the letter A or B! Songs starting with C-Z are ignored. If I play a song starting with a M then hit shuffle it plays songs starting with L-N! 

rosscee98

@SergioDavid, I just checked and realised my laptop is actually running on 10.12.6, which isn't the most recent (my bad), but my iPhone is on iOS 11.2.1, which I think is the latest. The version of Spotify I'm on is 1.0.70.388.

@J-parti, you're completely right! I just sorted it by title, and now the entire queue is filled with songs beginning with either numbers or the letter A.

I hadn't checked until now, but it does indeed seem to be affecting playlists too - I have a playlist of 350 songs, and when I sorted it by title and then shuffled it, the entire queue was filled with songs beginning with A-F.

LiamWilson
Casual Listener

This is a big deal. It is just in any playlist over connect, even if I'm just playing ALL my songs, it will only shuffle the top 100 in the order that they are filtered on the desktop app.

So for example, when I have the list sorted by song titles, it will only shuffle from the a, b, c, d... songs. Then same again if i sort it by artists, it'll only shuffle from the first few artists in the alphabet.

This means that I don't ever hear songs from the bottom of the alphabet, songs that I've forgotten I had saved. Even if I sort from the bottom, I then still don't hear anything from the middle or the top. This is a big deal Spotify! We need to be able to shuffle through many more songs over connect.

I really hope this is fixed soon. I'm seriously considering switching to Google play music because this is so infuriating.