Connect only plays 100 song chunks of playlists

Device:

Windows

Operating System Version:

Win 7

Spotify Version:

10.21.143.g76c19bcd

Description:

When I play music over connect the remote computer only seems to have access to the 100 subsequent songs from the song I start playing from. For example, if have a playlist of songs from 1:200 and start playing song 1, then press the previous song button instead of playing song 200 it plays song 100. Subsequent presses of the previous song button play tracks 99,98,97... etc. The same issue appears to occur if I have shuffle turned on.

To reproduce:

1. Play music over spotify connect

Workaround:

N/A

Additional information:

Occurs both with computer to computer play as well as phone to computer play.

Only occurs when the playlist is started on the "remote" device. For example, if I want to control my computer via my phone, the bug does NOT occur if I double click a song on my computer and then control everything from my phone. If, however, I open up my phone and select my computer as a remote device and then begin to play music via the phone, the error occurs.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We're happy to say that this issue is now fixed!

Let us know if you're still having trouble by creating a new thread in the relevant help board.

Thanks! Stay awesome 😉

Comments
pepblast

Premium Family member here.  Just bought a Google Home, and now to find out Spotify is ridiculously stupid when it comes to shufflying a playlist that the whole family can enjoy.  I am very very seriously considering cancelling my premium family account over this, and switching to google play music instead.  Can you please address this!

dinomight

I've really never had a major issue with this 100 chunk song limitation on Spotify Connect up to this point because it's such a large amount of tracks that I rarely will listen all the way through from my speaker. Over the past couple weeks or so, however, I have noticed that when shuffling from a mobile device or the desktop software to the Connect speaker, it only selects from songs that are within 100 tracks of the first song that was played in that session. I no longer seem to get a true shuffle that pulls from the entire playlist when shuffling larger playlists, which is generally my preferred method of listening.

StephenWA

Today would be a good day for Spotify to fix this issue.

StephenWA

Today would be a good day for Spotify to fix this issue.

catheter69
Yes. Big shareholders leaving for some reason. Increase our confidence.
frits84

Please please please Spotify fix this issue! I’ve been building on the mother of all playlists ever since you launched in Holland and it now has over 2500 songs. I recently bought my first Sonos and soon discovered that I was only listening to 100 songs of that playlist which made my experience kind of horrible. Seeing that every Sonos owner will have this issue I’m hoping you see this as critical. Would love it if you could pick this up!! I would even move to Sweden for a sprint to be the product owner for this issue if that is what it takes! 🙂

mc58

I have this too, but connecting from Mac and iOS.

I recently got a Sonos, and I always play all my library songs on shuffle, but am only getting songs from the last few weeks (shuffled though). Very much sounds like the latest 100 songs. 

Now, if I play locally on my laptop or phone, or headphones, the entire library shuffles as expected. 

jabberlope

From a technical standpoint this issue is non-trivial. Sending information to connected devices like Google Chromecast and Alexa works by sending a queue, which I'm assuming caps out at 100 songs, but there are definitely ways to poll that queue and refresh it when it is stale.

I'm curious though why this issue has languished for so long without any input from the dev team.

SkareMedia
Fyi, there are no issues using Google play 😉 they manage to be able to
shuffle playlists while casting with no issues.

I'd recommend switching. Spotify have known about this issue for years and
not bothered to fix it still. Also google play let's you load in your own
local music on your device too just like Spotify used to do.
jabberlope
Thanks for the tip, but for those of us on iOS the Google Music app doesn't
really perform very well. Also, I've been on Spotify for years and have
some pretty solid playlists built up that I don't want to abandon just yet.
I am getting an Android phone though...