Connect only plays 100 song chunks of playlists

Device:

Windows

Operating System Version:

Win 7

Spotify Version:

10.21.143.g76c19bcd

Description:

When I play music over connect the remote computer only seems to have access to the 100 subsequent songs from the song I start playing from. For example, if have a playlist of songs from 1:200 and start playing song 1, then press the previous song button instead of playing song 200 it plays song 100. Subsequent presses of the previous song button play tracks 99,98,97... etc. The same issue appears to occur if I have shuffle turned on.

To reproduce:

1. Play music over spotify connect

Workaround:

N/A

Additional information:

Occurs both with computer to computer play as well as phone to computer play.

Only occurs when the playlist is started on the "remote" device. For example, if I want to control my computer via my phone, the bug does NOT occur if I double click a song on my computer and then control everything from my phone. If, however, I open up my phone and select my computer as a remote device and then begin to play music via the phone, the error occurs.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We're happy to say that this issue is now fixed!

Let us know if you're still having trouble by creating a new thread in the relevant help board.

Thanks! Stay awesome 😉

Comments
SergioDavid
Roadie
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @Nerevarine, welcome to the Community!

What iPhone, iOS, and Spotify version are you using? Also, do you have any filterting or sorting options enabled on your playlist when using Connect?

We'll see what we can suggest once we have this info.

Nerevarine
Casual Listener

Hi @SergioDavid and thank you!

iPhone 6, iOS 10.3.2 (current latest), Spotify version 8.4.3.884 on iPhone, 1.0.57.474.gca9c9538 on Windows desktop. On Windows 10 fully up to date.

No filtering on. When connected to my desktop and playing from it I can pick any large playlist on my iPhone, and click Shuffle Play, and it shuffles the first bunch of tracks in the playlist over and over, without ever getting to the songs further down the list. Every time, every playlist I try that is larger than a few albums. If I sort by song title instead of the default it picks the first few tracks of that list and shuffle between instead. Regardless of what the list is sorted by it only plays the top of the list, and no sorting option allows for that selection to get any larger.

The other issue, when swapping devices, seems to more random and only happen sometimes, so I will look into that more and see how it develops.

Nerevarine
Casual Listener

@SergioDavid
I've made a short video showing the problem: https://vimeo.com/223145396
I am playing the same playlist (called Summer 2017) on my desktop app. First started from my iPhone, and as you can see it only shuffles between Agnes Obel and The Airborne Toxic Event (artists beginning with A at the top of the list). I then go to the desktop app and start another playlist (to clear queue) then back to the same playlist as before and start skipping tracks again, and now you can see artists from anywhere in the playlist appear.

Alfredo
Roadie
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey @Nerevarine!

Thanks for the report, we've passed this on to the right folks.

They're looking into it as we speak. Fingers crossed, we'll have an update soon.

Stay tuned.

blubbo
Roadie

This has been reported multiple times before but nothing ever gets done.

Please see this from Feb 2016:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Connect-only-plays-100-song-chunks-of-playlists/idi-...

The implementation of Connect is just bad and they either don't know how to fix or they simply don't cate.

This is the most action we've gotten in over a year on this issue so hopefully something can happen finally! Maybe this is it, the miracle, the pigs are flying, the **bleep** is freezing over ... oh, no? 😕

RocknRolf

Please Spotify, get this fixed please!

I have many saved playlists and shuffle always plays the first 100 tracks of the playlist and when it is done doing that, it starts the EXACT same playlist shuffle again.

twiiiiist

This is simply unbelievable. This bug has been in Spottify for 1,5 years now?!?! 
I'm cancelling my subscription today. I hate to have to do this, because I use spotify everyday. But if a company doesn't give a @#%$ about their customers and only thinks about $$$$..... I'm gone.

Luckely there still is deezer

blubbo
Roadie

@Alfredo, @SergioDavid, so, about that update?

Chris
Spotify
Spotify

Hey @blubbo and @RocknRolf,

Thanks for reaching out! We'll continue to update the issue that you're talking about on the previous thread

This new thread here will be updated with news for using Shuffle between devices.

Sorry for any confusion!

blubbo
Roadie

@Chris, well, it's the same issue ... did you even read the two threads? And since the other thread is marked as "Not right now" there does not seem to be anyone bothering with it anymore, right?

this

since I use the iPhone as a remote I found that I cannot start a shuffled playback on my desktop from my iPhone. When remote controlling it just shuffles the very first files from the top of the playlist. Completely worthless.

and this

When I play music over connect the remote computer only seems to have access to the 100 subsequent songs from the song I start playing from.

sounds pretty darn similair to me ...

And the last useful information in the "previous thread" is from February 2016

We're currently looking into a similar issue to this and will hopefully have an update on this shortly.

What a kidder ...

Now the question is, is anyone actually looking into this?

Have you been able to reproduce the problem?

Has anyone looked into how shuffle over connect is implemented?

Can you fix it?

Will you fix it?

And please stop it with the copy-paste-answers. 😕

Related Issues