Connect only plays 100 song chunks of playlists

Device:

Windows

Operating System Version:

Win 7

Spotify Version:

10.21.143.g76c19bcd

Description:

When I play music over connect the remote computer only seems to have access to the 100 subsequent songs from the song I start playing from. For example, if have a playlist of songs from 1:200 and start playing song 1, then press the previous song button instead of playing song 200 it plays song 100. Subsequent presses of the previous song button play tracks 99,98,97... etc. The same issue appears to occur if I have shuffle turned on.

To reproduce:

1. Play music over spotify connect

Workaround:

N/A

Additional information:

Occurs both with computer to computer play as well as phone to computer play.

Only occurs when the playlist is started on the "remote" device. For example, if I want to control my computer via my phone, the bug does NOT occur if I double click a song on my computer and then control everything from my phone. If, however, I open up my phone and select my computer as a remote device and then begin to play music via the phone, the error occurs.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this.

We're happy to say that this issue is now fixed!

Let us know if you're still having trouble by creating a new thread in the relevant help board.

Thanks! Stay awesome 😉

Comments
h8bit

This happens constantly for me. Doesn't matter if i'm playing over Sonos or controlling sound coming out of my Mac/iPhone from my PC. Doesn't instill a ton of confidence that this will be fixed anytime soon seeing that this thread is two years old. I've even tried sorting by song namd and it will still only play chunks from the "W"'s for example.

Javierba
Casual Listener

I've discovered that I have post in different threads but the issue still remains. 

It's not us, your customers  that we have to do the work . 

This is being on for years. At least you could give Spotify for free until you solve the issue.

Sincerely, 

Javier 

MachetePepe

@MachetePepe wrote:

Only 718 votes [...]

730 now, 12 more in two days. Good work, keep it coming!

I contacted some tech blogs and explained the issue, hoping that they will report about it (to raise awareness). Sadly, it did not happen. Spotify Connect is broken and tha majority does not seem to care. So every vote counts.

zcippy
Casual Listener

Please, take a look at this again. It really drags down the quality of the otherwise good service provided by spotify connect.

There's no need to implement Spotify features/support on any other device (or marketing segment) if people don't enjoy listening to (more than the same songs from) your service.

kinzr13
Music Fan

I want to know what changed...and why it can't be changed back.  I don't recall having this problem over the summer, when I would play large playlists, using spotify connect, outback at my pool.  This seems to be new to my experience.  Anyone else?

cruzdanilo
@kinzr13 wrote:

I want to know what changed...and why it can't be changed back.  I don't recall having this problem over the summer, when I would play large playlists, using spotify connect, outback at my pool.  This seems to be new to my experience.  Anyone else?

it's always been like this. this thread alone have almost 3 years.

zcippy
Casual Listener

It definetely seems like its a problem with Spotify connect since for ever, they did an EA and released a unfinished product. As for the randomization-discussions that always refer to that one statement/blog-entry that Spotify did regarding the algorithm used, it does not explain the "buggyness" in the shuffle feature which seems to have increased by every release. E.g. shuffle turning off and on by it self, shuffling same 50 songs out a playlist of thousands, returning to playing songs one by one even though shuffle is clearly turned on, etc.

The suffle feature in a music-app should only be preceded in priority by the actual play-function, it's that important. And right now Spotify are breaking this feature/function step by step.

It's sad that they dont focus on resolving such basic features like this since it should be viewed as one of the cornerstones required for an app in this category. 

And rule #1 for all developers, don't break anything.

And also, Rule #1 for all softwarecompanies, don't release broken software (aka dont do an EA).

MachetePepe

"it's always been like this. this thread alone have almost 3 years."

No, the problem is spreading. I first discovered it on a smart speaker with Google Assistant (at this time, I thought it was a problem with the Google software) - my Echo devices were working just fine at this time. However, some months ago my Echo devices also got "infected" by this Connect issue.

Strange: My Bose Soundtouch is shuffling fine when I start a playlist with the preset buttons of the Soundtouch (or the Soundtouch app) - however, if I start a playlist via the Spotify app with connect, the bug occurs. Absolutely ridiculous.

kinzr13
Music Fan

"it's always been like this. this thread alone have almost 3 years."

"No, the problem is spreading."

Yes, I realize that this thread is old and the problem seems to have been around for a while, but I can't understand why I've only begun noticing it, given that it drives me absolutely nuts.  I listen to a lot of playlists via spotify connect on my Onkyo reciever, which has a Zone 2 wired to my back patio.  I can't udnerstand how, whith all the music I played via connect out back over the summer, I'm only now noticing it.  I suppose it's possible that the problem was around then and I wasn't noticing, but I'd be surprised given how impossible it is to ignore now.  Or maybe I'm playing different playlists now than I was over the summer...I dont' know.  I've begun playing around with sorting playlists by song title instead of artist so that the shortcoming isn't so apparent, but it really should be fixed.

vols888
Casual Listener

I have always despised the "shuffle" feature of Spotify.  Connect or no Connect.  It is terrible.  But lately, it has made me consider switching to Apple Music.  I've been a Spotify Premium user (now Spotify Family) since pretty much day 1 when they came to the states.

The past few weeks when shuffling on Connect (via iPhone, MacBook Pro using desktop app, windows laptop using desktop app, etc) the normal reported "shuffling" issues have occured - but this time, after a few songs, the "shuffle" will then play songs in alphabetical order based on either song name or artist name.  Fun.

I am very close to start the process on what it would take to switch to Apple Music.

Related Issues