Connect problem on Sony android tv

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Using spotify connect on my Sony android tv the app freezes after a few songs and will not continue whatever I do. If I come back to it the next day it's working again but then the same problem occurs again after a few songs. I've tried re-installing the app etc, etc. Nothing seems to work. Have tried both wifi and wired network. wondering if it might be a network problem rather than the app. Any ideas please?

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us. The right team is currently looking into it.

Could you provide us with the following info so we can pass it on to them:

• device + OS version
  • exact Spotify version
  • TV make + model?

Thanks! We'll keep you posted as soon as we have any updates on this.

Comments
stormyuk
Music Fan

Same problems here on Sony XE9005 and XG9005. No one at Spotify seems interested.

Interestingly on my Sony PS4 Pro, it works flawlessly. So its definitely something with Android TV and the Sony TVs.

savannahman
Casual Listener

Thanks for your reply Stormy. In the absence of working Spotify I thought I'd stream some music from my media server using the VLC app on the TV. A few songs in and guess what happened? Correct, it hung. This would suggest that the problem is not with the Spottify app directly. It does not entirely rule out it being a LAN problem but unlikely I think.

I've just had a quick look at the Sony Android TV community and so far only found one report of a similar problem with the only reply suggesting a factory reset of the TV. Wondering if you have tried this? I guess it's one of the first things I should have done but I'm reluctant to loose all my settings.

stormyuk
Music Fan

Hey,

My XG TV is only a week old so not sure a factory reset would do much. I may try it as a last resort but its a pain in backside.

Not sure its my LAN as the TVs and PS4 all wired via ethernet on the same network.

I had no issues with Google Music either. Hmm.

savannahman
Casual Listener

OK, I bit the bullet and went for a factory reset of the TV. As you say, a pain in the **bleep**. Didn't help at all. I'll keep trying stuff and let you know here if I come up with anything (if the thread is still open).

savannahman
Casual Listener

I can't believe the word b*tt got bleeped!

stormyuk
Music Fan

Interestingly Sony TV used to be listed with Spotify Connect on Spotify Gear site. The new Spotify Everywhere site no longer lists Sony as supported. Coincidence?

Scrub that, it is there.

https://spotify-everywhere.com/collections/tv/products/sony-bravia-tv

savannahman
Casual Listener

Yes it is.

Sormy, it seems odd to me that we are the only two people on this thread. There are a couple of other threads about similar problems, mainly regarding the app hanging when adverts are served. If I think back, ISTR my problems starting like that. Now, it never gets as far as playing an advert but perhaps it hangs when an advert is about to be served? Clutching at straws now.

stormyuk
Music Fan

Yeh I think its something to do with advertising not playing correctly but mine will stop sometimes stop between tracks when no advert pops up.

What model TV do you have, mine is the same on an XE and XG. I have seem posts on an XF modelo on the Sony community. Same issue. They contacted Spotify who said Bravia TVs are not supported which seems on when its listed on the website. I might try contacting them directly.

stormyuk
Music Fan

Spotify twitter support have been trying to help me out, even getting me to try a test account. Same issue with the test account.

Playback worked for 9 tracks, then stopped. Phone thought it was still working. TV stuck on last track. Only way to get playback working was to switch the device from Spotify Connect to Google Cast.

Example photo shows a crashed ad but the phone thinks its done and carries on trying to play. Tempted to try premium to see if it cures it, as its 99p for 3 months atm. Edit: interesting if you look at the phone it thinks advertisement is finished. TV doesn't...

IMG_20190602_100855954.jpg
Screenshot_20190602-101727.png
stormyuk
Music Fan

savannahamm,

Do you have premium?  I am more and more convinced its advertisements on Android TV with Connect/Cast causing the issue.

Twitter Support got me to reset the TV Spotify completely, delete cache, data, uninstall and initially it looked good.

Howeveri itseems advertisements are the issue, some play okay but some either hang before they appear, ie an advertisement should pop up but it doesn't and playback just stops. The other thing that can happen is the advert appears but doesn't play so just hangs there or it plays in full but then won't clear and just blocks playback. I am convinced its something to do with the app. Having premium would probably fix it.

I am totally stuck on the Carphone Warehouse advert now no matter what I do, hard reboot of TV, uninstall and reinstall. The TV as soon as connected tries to play Carphone Warehouse advert and stops Spotify working.

IMG_20190602_100855954.jpg
Screenshot_20190602-101727.png