Created a username but got numbers and letters

So I created a Spotify account for my little brother and it asked for a username. I created one for him but instead of it appeared a combination of numbers and letters. Is there any way to change this?

Hi all,

The team in charge of this are still looking into the underlying issue.

Here's three work-arounds you can use at the moment:

1. You can link your account to your Facebook profile by following the steps here. Your Facebook profile name will now be displayed on your Spotify profile.
  2. You can create a new account, making sure to do so on another device, preferably on desktop, and then transfer all your saved music and playlists over onto the new account by following these steps.
  3. Get in touch with support and they will be able to manually attach a Display name to your account.
Comments
user-removed
Not applicable

welp i guess you guys can refer to me as z5xo0kjcrfjvowci3rs5ila5r now

Harry_Cheng

I experienced the same thing when I created my account.And I don't have a facebook account.it really bothers me.

phone:MI 8 pro

spotify version: 8.5.33.831

My current username: pyjzf0sqfmxuq717ujznldpz7

My desired username: Harry_Cheng

DavidGP
Regular

@Spotify Team, what is the status of this issue?

Styks
Visitor
  1. I also did not create with Facebook yet I have a random alphanumeric username. I do however want to connect to facebook, so: there was an old Spotify account I had previously connected with facebook (but not through, I connected after Spotify account creation). So I removed access to the old account on facebook. Then went to the Spotify app to my settings so I could reestablish "connect to Facebook" the Spotify app gives me the option to connect with my Facebook account but then shows a notification that "this Facebook account is already tied to another account". To make things more confusing, I get a push notification from Facebook saying "I have successfully logged into spotify". Yet my Spotify username/profile picture/display name still is yet to refelct my Facebook profile. What gives?? 
  2. Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9
  3. Most recent app update
  4. Most recent Android version
ptDevNull
Visitor

I have just attempted to create an account for my mom several times (3 or 4 times), and behavior was consistent accross multiple devices and even on Web Page: Spotify Accout creation disregards whatever information is provided as Display Name and assigns Random Number and Letters.

Based on the above, this is not Device specific as it happens on the Web Page.

Tyrell0570
Casual Listener

I too have this issue

Samsung S7

Tyrell0570

Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for continuing to provide the info we've requested.

The team in charge of this are still looking into the underlying issue.

In the meantime, do make sure to pass on the following info if you haven’t already:

• your device + OS version
  • the display name you want

We can then pass it on to the right team, who will attempt to apply the necessary changes to your accounts.

Bear in mind that we cannot guarantee that the above manual process will work, so we would also like to suggest the following alternatives:

1. You can link your account to your Facebook profile by following the steps here. Your Facebook profile name will now be displayed on your Spotify profile.
  2. You can create a new account, making sure to do so on another device, preferably on desktop, and then transfer all your saved music and playlists over onto the new account by following these steps.

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

DavidGP
Regular

I am puzzled by the strange manual workarounds that are suggested here.

Spotify team, why don't you simply let everybody know how to edit the "custom display name" according to your support page here:

https://support.spotify.com/us/account_payment_help/account_basics/change-my-username

"You can create a custom display name that replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity"

Here is a highlighted version of that page in case finding the passage cited above should be too difficult:

http://marker.to/ieSoFh

Now only let us know:

WHERE DO WE DO THAT, i.e. where do we create that "custom display name" mentioned on your own above support page?

ptDevNull
Visitor

The custom display name is the third field (I think)  when you create a new account. Unfortunately the process is ignoring this field.

datfenristho
Gig Goer

This happened today with making my little sister's account. Chose a name and now it just has a random string of letters and numbers instead. Also cannot link it to a Facebook or use a different device because we all have the same phone, and no computer. This is a basic function. How on earth did you guys manage to break it? Sometimes I swear you guy's have hamsters programming this stuff.