Created a username but got numbers and letters

So I created a Spotify account for my little brother and it asked for a username. I created one for him but instead of it appeared a combination of numbers and letters. Is there any way to change this?

Hi all,

The team in charge of this are still looking into the underlying issue.

Here's three work-arounds you can use at the moment:

1. You can link your account to your Facebook profile by following the steps here. Your Facebook profile name will now be displayed on your Spotify profile.
  2. You can create a new account, making sure to do so on another device, preferably on desktop, and then transfer all your saved music and playlists over onto the new account by following these steps.
  3. Get in touch with support and they will be able to manually attach a Display name to your account.
Comments
gabofreesh

Hi! I created a Spotify account and i choose "gabofreesh" as my username, also I activated my student discount. But the problem is that my username is a bunch of character and numbers that i dont choose.

As I said, i activated my discount so i cant create a new account

What can I do? I really dont like that username and I dont have a facebook account.

I have a Galaxy A7 (2018)

Display username that i want: gabofreesh

cyn-8
Visitor

i created a new account 18 days ago to change my display name, but i was given random text as a name

i know that there is a short delay until getting your chosen name, but after 2 weeks without any change, i knew something was wrong

device: pc / galaxy note 9

display name i want: cyn     (all lowercase)

(edit: they fixed it thanks)

datfenristho
Gig Goer

Any new information on this issue yet? It's been a problem for a few months now, and it's extremely ridiculous that it's still not fixed considering that having a username is a standard thing for literally any service.

Scytales
Visitor

Hi Peter,

The registration of the display name when creating a new account is bugged. New users are able to fill in the display name field but when completing the registration the display name is not displayed anywhere. I created 2 more new accounts to test this feature (1 via android app & 1 via desktop website) but without any luck, the display name is not visible anywhere after completing the new account setup.

Requested information:

• Current randomly generated username: 5kpkgvmnk8eftcb91rmszfsan
  • Phone + OS: Samsung Galaxy S7 + Android version 8.0.0
  • Desired display name: Scytales

Hopefully the team will be able to fix this bug.

Thanks for your time,

Scytales

Harkekark

Helped my father set up his Spotify account this week and got the same problem, even though I CHOSE a username both in the App AND on the community forums. Linking his account to facebook is frankly not an option because he does not have a facebook and will not make one.

Wild_Bob_BTR
Visitor

Hello, 

When I set the user it gave me letters and numbers instead of what I had chosen. 

OS version: Android 9.0 Pie

Desired Username: Wild_Bob_BTR

Also I keep getting ads to join premium even though I am already a premium member. 

Thank You

SeanGee
Casual Listener

@Peter hi, I'm also experiencing the same issue, where my username is a random alphanumeric string everywhere.

Details as requested:

My Device: Huawei P20 Pro

My OS: Android 9

My current username: ztm24nrkw579eqsws2jwkgifm

My desired username: seangee_

Thank you for your assistance.

BarnBranflakes
Visitor

@Peter Hey, just another victim here. I've changed my display name on this specific community site, but I have the garbled name on the app and on the main spotify site. 

My Device: Samsung Galaxy A50
My OS: Android 9

My current username: sajs56sw80dd5a7tln1o7qaln

My desired username is: BarnKulhn

Status changed to: Under investigation

Hi all,

The team in charge of this are still looking into the underlying issue.

Here's three work-arounds you can use at the moment:

1. You can link your account to your Facebook profile by following the steps here. Your Facebook profile name will now be displayed on your Spotify profile.
  2. You can create a new account, making sure to do so on another device, preferably on desktop, and then transfer all your saved music and playlists over onto the new account by following these steps.
  3. Get in touch with support and they will be able to manually attach a Display name to your account.