Daily mix not refreshing / not daily new

Hi,

I've found a great number of topics about this, serveral more than a year old.

I've kinda found all the songs/artists I like, well over a 1000, across various genres. When I want to discover something new, I use the discover-option. Most of the time I'm perfectly happy with a genre based mix of the songs I know and love. Where the daily mix is perfect for and worked great when I started using Spotify (and kept filling it). It's great as background music during office hours, some hardrock for productivity, something more mainstream to get along with colleagues, some cheesy Disney-style songs when in a good mood, etc.

But now... the daily mix is not changing anymore. Always the same songs, in the same order and only a few out of all the songs/artists I liked.

Idea: make the daily mix shuffle daily again?

For everything else, there is the option to save it as a normal playlist to tune/tweak it further...

Comments
Hubo
Spotify Star
Spotify Star
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey @Dropjeslover! Thanks for letting me know about this.

This sounds odd. Could you make sure you're not listening to Spotify in Private Mode? Also, could you try to sign out and sign back in?  Lastly, could you let me know if this happens on other devices as well?

Thanks, and have a great day! 🙂

Dropjeslover
Casual Listener

I've checked the webplayer, windows app and android app and listed all first 15 songs of the playlists.

They are a bit different, but most of the songs I liked (not suggestions) are the same or the same artist.

Webplayer windows android 
SeetherCigarettes10 yearsdon't fight ithalestorm
daughters of darkness
From ashes to newan ocean of its ownemphaticoriginal sindope
you spin me round
dark new daycaught in the lightthrow the fightdon't let me downsmash into pieces
let me be your superhero
theory of a deadmanbad girlfrienddemon huntercold bloodlike a stormpure evil
emphaticbegadelitas waybad reputationemphaticoriginal sin
godsmackcome togethertheory of a deadmandrownart of dying
tear down the wall
royal blissinto the nightthrough firebreathesaliva
ladies and gentlemen
shinedownenemiesblack stone cherrysoul machinetraptit's over
halestorminnocensedrowning poolbodiesshinedownoblivion
art of dyingtear down the wallthree days gracenow or neverseetherremedy
breaking benjaminlights outstaindmudshovelbreaking benjaminuntill the end
throw the fightbloodshot eyesart of dyingtear down the walldeepfieldget it
three days gracetake me underhalestormnothing to do with lovethousand foot krutch
the art of breaking
in this momentriver of firebreaking benjamini will not bowpop evilsick sense

On the webplayer and android app, the lists are the same as they've been for some time (weeks).

When I log out and back in, they are changed a bit, still mostly the songs and artists that I've liked before, but with new sugestions. It's not supposed to be that to refresh I have to log out and back in...

I do have a browser plugin to kill trackers and cookies, but that doesn't explain why the android app doesn't refresh the lists either...

Previously I only liked specific songs. Yeserday I've liked artists as well, see if that makes a change (today, no change).

I like rock/hardrock/metal and my daily mix 1 is pretty good, but would expect some linking park, metallica, godsmack or even nickelback (yes, from time to time I like nickelback) in there too, and just other songs of the same bands...

I'll check and post my daily mix 1 list again in a few days to show that nothing has changed.

Erika
Roadie
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Thanks @Dropjeslover!

We're passing this post to 'Not an issue' since we've realized you're not having a issue with your Daily Mix refresh. We'll explain how the Daily Mix refreshes works:

If the customers returns to a station within 8 hours, the playlist will pick up where it left off; if the station is inactive for more than 8 hours, the playlist will rearrange and start fresh.

We refresh the underlying clusters (based on the users listening data) once a week. Our eventual goal is for a user to feel like mixes update continuously.

If you’ve been playing your Daily Mix continuously, or played it and hit pause, we won’t shuffle it for you until you actually switch to some other playback context and then return 8 hours later. Keep in mind every 8 hours it doesn’t refresh with new content, but rather shuffle the existing pool (which itself updates weekly).

We hope this can clarify this situation. 

Have a nice one 🙂

Erika
Roadie
Status changed to: Not An Issue

Dropjeslover
Casual Listener

Hi @Erika,

Unfortunately, what was in your previous post is not the case.

You posted:

We're passing this post to 'Not an issue' since we've realized you're not having a issue with your Daily Mix refresh. We'll explain how the Daily Mix refreshes works:

If the customers returns to a station within 8 hours, the playlist will pick up where it left off; if the station is inactive for more than 8 hours, the playlist will rearrange and start fresh.

We refresh the underlying clusters (based on the users listening data) once a week. Our eventual goal is for a user to feel like mixes update continuously.

If you’ve been playing your Daily Mix continuously, or played it and hit pause, we won’t shuffle it for you until you actually switch to some other playback context and then return 8 hours later. Keep in mind every 8 hours it doesn’t refresh with new content, but rather shuffle the existing pool (which itself updates weekly).

We hope this can clarify this situation. 

Have a nice one 🙂

-------

I've been having the same playlist for _weeks_. I know this because I listen to Spotify only about 2 days per week, for 1 to 3 hours (don't manage to listen more at work). Also, I listen to the Spotify android app one or 2 days per week in my car (bluetooth) during my daily commute, which is 30-60 minutes. After that I disconnect the bluetoot and close the app. App updates or a restart of the phone didn't make a difference to the daily mix list. Also listening (not adding songs to likes) to some weekend breakfast or Disney list didn't make a difference.

And when there is only boring stuff on the FM radio and even spotify has the same music again, it tends to get a bit annoying...

user-removed
Not applicable

I have the same problem.

Even when I switch to a different Daily mix, most (90%) of the songs stay the same. My Daily Mix #2 hasn't changed except for 1 or 2 songs for nearly a year. I can say I am completely sick of listening to them at this point.

Dropjeslover
Casual Listener

Ah yeah, this thread...

Still the same, 70% of the songs is still the same in the daily mix list. It only changes a little bit if you listen/like/add some completely different music styles. My (hard)rock/powermetal list now also contains some gothic rock and darkwave. Combichrist after Hammerfall, wth 😛

Related Issues