[Desktop] Ads force Spotify to the foreground

Thread: 95679

Status: Under investigation (Previously Resolved) Resolved.

Description

While Spotify is active in the background, when an ad starts it pops the Spotify app into the foreground.

Additional information

-

Updates

2013-01-10: It looks like we've been able to reproduce and are looking into possible fixes.

2013-01-15: It would still help to have screenshots of your open tasks. In Windows could you please press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager window, then take a screenshot and paste it in a reply here. (I.e. using Snipping Tool or pressing Ctrl-Alt-Prtsc)

2013-04-18: With the update to version 0.9.0 this has been resolved.

2013-06-11: Well, this is a weird one. It's come back again and we're still looking into it.

2013-06-19: It looks like we have pinpointed the possible cause and we're looking into solutions.

2014-01-14: Setting this to resolved again. Unless we get new reports I will lock this topic soon.

---

When posting in this forum please make sure you have read these guidelines.

Comments
hans-jürgen

I did not notice that effect of the banner ads yet, but sometimes they cause a muting of the next track in the playlist without setting the volume slider to the left, so you have to click anywhere in the slider to hear something again. Maybe these two issues are related, that's why I posted it here. I'm using Spotify on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. I did not notice which banner ads cause this yet, because it does not happen all the time.

Millais

This has been happening for the past year. It's for the main big advert in the centre that appears.

It's annoying. It's distracting. And it's harming my workflow.

And as with all bugs (such as Android using all the data bug, even with 3G turned off), Spotify seemingly don't take any notice of it and don't provide a fix. Ridiculously frustrating.

SnoopyJoe

It is particularly annoying if it occurs during time sensitive tasks that have been paid for. I used to use Spotify to listen to Mozart while doing brain training on Lumosity, but I can't take a chance I'll be switched over to Spotify and my results will be affected.

I guess I'll have to stick to the one hour of Mozart I have on iTunes while doing brain training or online tests for my uni. subjects.

Goodman

While we look into a fix, It would still help to have screenshots of your open tasks. In Windows could you please press Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager window, then take a screenshot and paste it in a reply here. (I.e. using Snipping Tool or pressing Ctrl-Alt-Prtsc)

SnoopyJoe

Generally I'm running Firefox 17.0, Thunderbird 15.0.1 and Spotify 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8 on Windows 7.

Jackietastic

spotify.jpg

I've been having this problem too and it's MADDENING.  I love spotify but I'm having to use Pandora.

I run Windows 7 64 bit.

Koojay

This is very annoying and affects my work. I won't be able to use spotify if this continues to occur - especially as some spotify ads are NSFW. I like playing spotify in the background but when I am showing items on my computer to coworkers I can't have NSFW images jumping to the foreground. 

Can you please notify if/when this is fixed. I strongly suspect this is not a bug but intentional.

Thanks,

Katie

herperderper

Started using spotify yesterday, this is already driving me nuts.

And it is clearly intentional, as no developer, no matter how **bleep** they are at coding / debugging would take over 6 months to fix an issue like this, especially a bug thats driving customers away.

Jackietastic

Yeah, I'm definitely getting the impression that it's intentional.  None of the "fixes" that have been suggested by mods thus far have had any impact, and there's been threads devoted to this issue for over a year.

brianhannah

I'd like to add in mine as well.

It happens all the time in the middle of my League of Legends matches (I like to listen to music while I game), and I don't have time to take a screenshot or anything because it always interrupts me at a critical point in the game.

It just happened to me when all I had running was Spotify and Microsoft Excel.

It doesn't matter what program I have open - if spotify is running, and it changes the advertisement in the spotify app where the spotify screen goes dark (lightbox style), it steals the focus from whatever app I am running.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling.  I even got a new PC and installed spotify on it (Windows 7 pro 64bit) and it still does it for me on this PC.  It doesn't happen when the audio ads are played (I don't mind those at all), it only happens when the visual ads switch.

Would very much appreciate a fix so I can use Spotify.