[Desktop] Connecting Behind Proxy Causes Crash

Thread650738

Description:

Connecting via a proxy causes a network deadlock to crash the client in desktop version 0.9.7.x.

To reproduce:

1. Attempt to launch Spotify whilst connected to the internet via a proxy.

Workaround:

None (although see additional information). For the time being use the web player (if available - may not work behind a proxy either!) if you are unable to use a connection not via a proxy.

Additional information:

This appears to effect both Windows and Mac. 

Update: Reports show this only appears to be effecting SOCKS5 proxies, if you have another proxy available such as HTTPS it should still work.

There are some additional work arounds posted below (thanks guys!). Bear in mind Spotify DO NOT recommend downloading/installing Spotify from any other sources apart from spotify.com or official App Stores.

If you are having either of these issues please can you post below:

1. Your Spotify version number (Help/Spotify > About & Click to copy to clipboard or via your system control panel).
  2. Your Operating System.
  3. What type of proxy you are connecting through.
  4. If your feeling technical, if you could pastebin the console logs from the client and post the link to the paste here that may help the guys track down the issue.

Thanks!

When posting in this forum please make sure you have read these guidelines.

Related Issues

Comments
jfstepha
Regular

I don't think the web player has ever worked behind a proxy.  I get 

"Sorry, buy it seems that we cannot stream music to you at this time.  This is probably because of restrictions placed on your network, but we are working on ways to get around this".  

jfstepha
Regular

Spotify version:0.9.7.16

My Operating System:  Windows 8 Enterprise

Is your Operating System 32 or 64 bit?  64 bit

Proxy: socks4

Console log attached.

Goose76
Music Fan

I get this issue with 0.9.7.16 which as of typing i believe is the latest version?

Version: 0.9.7.16

Proxy:  SOCKS5 proxy

Spotify loads fine, but crashes shortly after it connects. If you try to click anything the window moves up and to the left slightly and hangs, eventually whitescreening and forced to close by windows.   This is 100% repeatable. 

However, yesterday using the same version it would load, and would play 3-4 songs before crashing in the same way. Today though it crashes almost immediately. 

Using the web player isn't a valid work around as it does not seem to work behind the proxy I am afraid. 

Peter__
Community Legend

@jfstepha - Thanks for the update, I've updated my post. Unfortunately I can't suggest much else other than waiting for a fix.

beansmyname
Regular

1. Spotify version 0.9.7.16.g4b197456

2. Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

3. SOCKS proxy

4. http://pastebin.com/rCMEjFuD

The web player is working fine for me despite receiving the same message others have received regarding playback behind a proxy.

Hotuman

The application works just a moment, a few minutes after launch error "APP CRASH" and die.

• Version: 0.9.7.16
  • Proxy:  SOCKS5 proxy

Spoiler

moleman4000
Regular

Following up on my post on the other topic:

Have the problem only when attempting to use at Work with Proxy, (SOCKS5).  2 days ago it worked for a bout half a song, now it doesn't work at all.  Crashes within a few seconds.  My account works fine at home.  (no proxy).  

Spotify Version 0.9.7.16

OS - Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

JamesBond
Casual Listener

Having the same issue. It worked fine in earlier versions, but after the latest update it always crashes.

Works fine without proxy (at home), but crashes with proxy (at office).

Spotify Version: 0.9.7.16.g4b197456

Type of Proxy: Socks5 (SSH Tunnel)

Logs on PasteBin - Here

I hope it is resolved soon.

Thanks.

liquido_2000
Casual Listener

Same here... 

Spotify Version: 0.9.7.16.g4b197456

Type of Proxy: Socks4

But i do have a Worakound:

1. Install an old Version from here: http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/
2. Navigate to %APPDATA%\Spotify and create two empty files named "Spotify_new.exe" and "Spotify_new.exe.sig" an make them READ-ONLY.

Now you have an old (working) Spotify Version. The two Files will Spotify prevent to do an Auto-Update. You can delete them, when a new Version is out, which works with a Proxy again.

kevbradwick
Regular

Spotify version: unknown (keeps crashing before I can interact with the menus, but updated yesterday)

SOCKS5, SOCKS4

Logs

16/01/2014 09:03:02.320 [0x0-0x60060].com.spotify.client: 09:03:02.319 E [watchdog.cpp:179 ] Fatal deadlock detected - would have crashed!! (Thread: network)

16/01/2014 09:03:02.320 [0x0-0x60060].com.spotify.client: 09:03:02.319 E [watchdog.cpp:179 ] Fatal deadlock detected - would have crashed!! (Thread: gui)

http://pastebin.com/1A0HhUSi