[Desktop Mac] Crashing immediately after app opens

After a system reboot my Spotify client stopped working.

> Desktop, Mac

> macOS Sierra 10.12.6

> Spotify: 1.0.91.183.g259b84fa

Issue:

1. Click Spotify icon in Applications directory

2. Spotify flashes an empty black window for ~half a second and immediately crashes with no error message

> I tried deleting all the cached and supporting files like I've seen in several other threads.
> Tried reinstalling the application, but the issue still persists.
> The weird thing is when I tried to launch it from the terminal to view the console logs it launced and works just fine! The command I used:

/Applications/Spotify.app/Contents/MacOS/Spotify &

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Hey all,

Be sure to keep the app up-to-date. Try a clean reinstallation of the app if you're having issues and let us know if there is anything we can do.

Have a nice day!

Comments
dwmaldonado

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Mac

Operating System

OS 10.12.6

My Question or Issue

When trying to launch spotify, the app icon pops up and closes out immediately. Yesterday I had no issues, today it wont initalize or start at all. Please help.

daeatenone
Casual Listener

Been having this for weeks now, and no amount of clean reinstalling fixes it for me.. someone from Spotify please help! 

@dwmaldonado In the meantime you can work around this issue by opening the app from terminal. Just to go Applications -> Spotify (right click) -> "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> MacOS -> Spotify (double click). You can copy this file  and keep it in your dock for convenience. Hope this helps!

Sam_Reginald

upgrading the OS isn't an option for me right now but the terminal / application contents option is a funcitoning work around! Not ideal but at least I can listen to Spotify at work!

Thanks

Hey @dwmaldonado.

Thanks for reaching out on the Community! We'll be glad to help you out :)

I know this sounds obvious, but would you mind performing a clean reinstall by following the steps outlined here? This can solve many common problems that our users experience.

@daeatenone - thanks for providing that workaround. Could you let us know the following info:

• device and OS version
  • Spotify version?

Once we have those, we can look into the matter further.

Thanks!

nosila94

I'm having the same issue and have gone through the suggested steps. I'm using a Macbook Pro Early 2015 and have Sierra version 10.12.6. I've downloaded the latest version of Spotify.

dwmaldonado

So I did a complete reimage of my machine and it now works fine. I'm not sure what happened within the hours of it working & not working but simply uninstalling & reinstalling did not work.

While not ideal, it works like normal and so do a few of my other applications now =)

longlostpal

Thank you for the Option 2 workaround! I am a Premium user and I had the same issue over and over, after many clean deinstallations and restarts. I'm also having that Preview crash issue so I'm hoping an eventual MacOS upgrade will fix it.

Regardless - this is not okay, Spotify! Fix this issue, please!

Hey there @dwmaldonado,

Glad to hear that Spotify is working as it should now.

Happy Spotifying :)

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community.

We've seen some recent reports of Spotify crashing or failing to launch on Mac. We've merged your threads together here, so that we can best help!

If you haven't already, please can you comment and let us know:
> Your exact device:
> Version of Spotify (if you're able to see this):
> Operating system (and version):

If you can provide any screenshots or videos of the issue too, that'd be super useful.
We'll pass all of this information along to the right team.

In the meantime, we'd also recommend:
> Restarting your device

> Reinstalling
> Making sure your operating system's up-to-date

Thanks, and keep us posted.

Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for raising this issue on the Community!

Our tech team is aware of this and are currently working on a fix.

If you haven't already, please can you comment below and let us know:
> Your exact device:
> Version of Spotify (if you're able to see this):
> Operating system (and version):

If you can provide any screenshots or videos of the issue too, that'd be super useful.
We'll pass all of this information along to the right team.

In the meantime, we'd also recommend:
> Restarting your device

> Reinstalling
> Making sure your operating system's up-to-date

We'll keep you posted here as soon as we have more info on this!