Announcements

[Desktop] Media controls disappear from Taskbar Preview

Thread: 102065

Description

Every time I close the main Spotify window ("Hide from Taskbar when closed" is checked) and then reopen the window, the media controls that are visible on the Spotify Taskbar Preview are gone.  When Spotify is restarted, this issue goes away, but will reappear once again if I close and reopen the window.

This affects Windows 7 and 8.

Additional information

Steps to reproduce this (kudos to hammeh😞
1. Right click on spotify in the system tray and select Hide from Taskbar when closed.
2. Press the x in the top right corner of the spotify client to close it. It should dissappear from the taskbar.
3. Open spotify from the system tray.

After completing step 3 the media functions when you hover over the spotify icon will be gone.

Updates

Update 2013-02-07: Added to the bugs section

Related Issues

Comments
Community Legend

@Goodman wrote:

Thread: 102065

Description

Every time I close the main Spotify window ("Hide from Taskbar when closed" is checked) and then reopen the window, the media controls that are visible on the Spotify Taskbar Preview are gone.  When Spotify is restarted, this issue goes away, but will reappear once again if I close and reopen the window.

This affects Windows 7 and 8.

Additional information

Steps to reproduce this (kudos to hammeh😞
1. Right click on spotify in the system tray and select Hide from Taskbar when closed.
2. Press the x in the top right corner of the spotify client to close it. It should dissappear from the taskbar.
3. Open spotify from the system tray.

After completing step 3 the media functions when you hover over the spotify icon will be gone.

Updates

Update 2013-02-07: Added to the bugs section

This really annoys me 😛

Regular

Is there a way to fix this, I have never checked the hide from task bar, my abilities to control from taskbar vanished with the last update..

Also, experienced a number of failed attempts to load the program and taking for ever to do so, before the update it would load instantly...

Also, I am a bit new here and find this forum very hard to understand, is there a way to get email notifications when someone responds to a thread you have posted on. I have to come back and search tags and hope to find them again..

Any help would be appreciated..

Casual Listener

I'm not sure if this is related, but if I have Spotify set to be pinned to the Taskbar, it creates a second icon in the Taskbar once Spotify is opened, and there are no media controls on the preview sometimes.

Expected behavior is that the icon pinned on the taskbar should then turn into the task switching icon, not create a second icon.

Capture.PNG

Left icon is the pinned-to-taskbar icon I use to open Spotify. Once I click it to open spotify, the second icon appears and that's the one I have to use to switch to Spotify from another window.

Community Legend

@sirgeoph wrote:

I'm not sure if this is related, but if I have Spotify set to be pinned to the Taskbar, it creates a second icon in the Taskbar once Spotify is opened, and there are no media controls on the preview sometimes.

Expected behavior is that the icon pinned on the taskbar should then turn into the task switching icon, not create a second icon.

Capture.PNG

Left icon is the pinned-to-taskbar icon I use to open Spotify. Once I click it to open spotify, the second icon appears and that's the one I have to use to switch to Spotify from another window.

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I don't get this behaviour, how did you pin Spotify to the taskbar? 

Peter

Casual Listener

In Windows 7, right click the icon for any running application and select "Pin to Taskbar". It just creates a shortcut to launch the application, like the Quick Launch toolbar of Vista and earlier.

Community Legend

If you unpin both of the Spotify's from your taskbar, then go to Start > Enter "spotify" > Right click on "Spotify" that appear in the results, then right click on that and select "Pin to Taskbar" and use that one do you get the same behaviour? 

Peter

Gig Goer

Just one more glitch with Spotify that's been going on for months, if not years. Yes it's still happening to your customers! Sheesh...

Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm using version 0.9.7 now and I'm no longer seeing this problem. Anyone else?

Community Legend
Can confirm no issues for me either! 🙂
Community Legend
The media controls when hovering the mouse cursor over my Spotify taskbar icon (pinned or unpinned) are not showing on my Windows 8.1 since a few months. Wonder whether it happened with my upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1, but can't tell for sure.