[Desktop][Nano] 6/7th gen iPod isn't recognized

Thread: 179016

Description:

Spotify doesn't rezognize the latest iPods (6th and 7th gen) that use the new Lightning connector

Workaround:

Sync local files to your iPod via iTunes (since you can't sync Spotify content to generic iPods even with premium - full details of this restriction are outlined here).

If you have an iPod Touch, you need to sync via WiFi.

Additional information:

2013-01-14: Updated bug to reflect it also affects 6th gen (which also have Lightning connectors). (Thanks Peter)

2013-03-13: It looks like we may have a fix for this. Now it's just waiting to get it into a future desktop update.

2013-12-26: Updating work around information for clarity.

2014-01-15: We won't be fixing this. But, because you can only sync local tracks, the mentioned workaround to use iTunes works fine.

--

When posting in this forum please make sure you have read these guidelines.

Related Issues

Comments
Peter__
Community Legend
James77

I've just bought a 7th gen Nano for the Gym. Was looking forward to syncing spotify only to be bitterly dissapointed. Is there any hope that this will be resolved? The silence is deafening. In addition spotify are still claiming to support "All Ipods apart from the early firewire versions" Am I missing something here?

VaporTrailX
Casual Listener

I, too, am now the owner of a 7th generation iPod Nano that was purchased specifically for use with my (also newly purchased) Spotify Premium subscription, but is not recognized by the Spotify application.

If there is not an immediate fix for this issue in the works (which I would hate to think is the case, as Spotify is patently awesome in virtually every other regard), it would be very helpful to amend the claims that the application works with all new iPods so that no one else is as disappointed as we are.

"Does Spotify support all iPods?

Spotify supports all models of iPods except the very early, Firewire versions."

Peter__
Community Legend

I would suggest you have a read at the iPod integration FAQ.

Spotify will only allow you to sync local tracks, which you already own to an iPod nano and not any content from the Spotify online catalogue (even if you have it synced for offline usage on your desktop). Therefore, having a premium subscription makes no difference to the iPod sync. 

Peter

VaporTrailX
Casual Listener

To this I say Ahh and Aww simultaneously. I also thank you for the clarification. To ensure that I have this right, synching will only occur via the Spotify application - an application which is not available for the iPod Nano. I believe I was under the incorrect impression that a premium membership would allow me to 'borrow' music from the Spotify library, as opposed to simply listening to this music from within the library itself. I see now that no such borrowing exists, only listening via the application. This was my mistake.

I still hold that there should be a bit more clarification on the website. While it is mentioned that Spotify will work with the newer generations of iPod Nanos, it is not explicitly stated that Nano owners will miss out on a very significant portion of the benefits that come with a premium membership. 

Granted, reading over the iPod integration FAQ does, now, provide some insight into this issue, it did not do so before I learned that an iPod Nano had limitations that a regular iPod or iPod Touch did not. Hence, it is still disappointing.

alh

I have the same problem, my ipod 7th gen. isnt showing under devices.  I followed instructions under FAQ 1) used windows trouble shooter app -didn't recognize nor solve problem 2) used FAQ instruction to uninstall and re-install the spotify application - still no ipod showing under devices. 

EpicSad
Casual Listener

Can there be some kind of warning that this is an issue on the Premium sign up page?

I bought a new Nano last night and was really excited to get Premium set up only to find out it not only doesn't work but I signed up for a service I cannot use. I am going to probably cancel my premium subscription now and I think it would be a good idea to put some kind of disclaimer so Spotify users don't get dissapointed or upset that this KNOWN issue was not advertised in any capacity by the service.

Peter__
Community Legend

@EpicSad wrote:

Can there be some kind of warning that this is an issue on the Premium sign up page?

I bought a new Nano last night and was really excited to get Premium set up only to find out it not only doesn't work but I signed up for a service I cannot use. I am going to probably cancel my premium subscription now and I think it would be a good idea to put some kind of disclaimer so Spotify users don't get dissapointed or upset that this KNOWN issue was not advertised in any capacity by the service.

Hey! Welcome to the community :) 

The functionality of Spotify's iPod sync is the same regardless if you have a subscription or not, seeing as you can only use the client to sync local files which you own to the device, not any content from the Spotify online catalogue. More information about the iPod sync can be found here.

Peter

EpicSad
Casual Listener

Thank you for the clarification, this makes sense.

hombresinforma
Casual Listener

Any word whatsoever on this?

Is Spotify refusing to make further comment?

Are they working on this bug currently?

Is it on the backburner or in a low-priority queue?

Do any workarounds exist?

Is there a log file I can search for?

May I be of any assistance to help the team troubleshoot?

Thanks