[Desktop][Nano] 6/7th gen iPod isn't recognized

Thread: 179016

Description:

Spotify doesn't rezognize the latest iPods (6th and 7th gen) that use the new Lightning connector

Workaround:

Sync local files to your iPod via iTunes (since you can't sync Spotify content to generic iPods even with premium - full details of this restriction are outlined here).

If you have an iPod Touch, you need to sync via WiFi.

Additional information:

2013-01-14: Updated bug to reflect it also affects 6th gen (which also have Lightning connectors). (Thanks Peter)

2013-03-13: It looks like we may have a fix for this. Now it's just waiting to get it into a future desktop update.

2013-12-26: Updating work around information for clarity.

2014-01-15: We won't be fixing this. But, because you can only sync local tracks, the mentioned workaround to use iTunes works fine.

--

When posting in this forum please make sure you have read these guidelines.

Related Issues

Comments
justin_harris

Yeah. This was the entire reason I canceled my Spotify Premium. Oh well. Maybe they'll fix it and I'll resubscribe, but until then.

kissmydrone
Casual Listener

Ok, so apparently there was an update. And nothing was fixed. Im canceling my subscribtion and telling my friends to do so to.

solonormano

This sucks, My old Ipod didn't sync with spotify so I just bought a new one. Now to discover it doesn't work! Spotify should be more clear on this. Nos I spedn $ 200,- for???

mayevsky

To all of you, colleagues in despair - maybe, a solution and the key:

Used to suffer from the same problem - the damned iPod nano 6th gen (old plain connector, not a "lightning" one) would not appear in spotify client under Linux. Until a good person here (http://psyphi.net/blog/2012/12/ipod-nano-6th-gen-with-ubuntu/) hinted what to do.

The following combination worked for me (Fedora 18):

1. Restore iPod in iTunes for Windows, so that it gets formatted as FAT (that's the key - it seems, MacOS-formatted iPod, even if mounted well by Linux as HFSPLUS filesystem, is a total no-go with the spotify client).

2. Try Spotify for Linux 0.8.8... - used https://github.com/leamas/spotify-make

If it works for you too, please, give feedback, spread the news.

Cheers.

hombresinforma
Casual Listener

Can we at least get this marked as unresolved?

Right now it shows a nice green checkmark on the topic name indiciating it is resolved, which it isn't, and this doesn't accurately reflect everyone's frustration :)

Peter__
Community Legend

@hombresinforma wrote:

Can we at least get this marked as unresolved?

Right now it shows a nice green checkmark on the topic name indiciating it is resolved, which it isn't, and this doesn't accurately reflect everyone's frustration :)

Done

Peter

cocoxxx
Casual Listener

Is this issue still ongoing? 

I created a playlist for my 30th birthday party (which is in less than 48 hrs) and today bought an iPod Nano in order to play this - it's not being detected. 

This was the only reason I bought the Nano and I'm pretty sure the store won't accept a return based on a Spotify issue. I'm really upset that this issue was not made clear by Spotify as I conducted searches prior to make sure the Nano was the right choice for me. 

Peter__
Community Legend

@cocoxxx wrote:

Is this issue still ongoing? 

I created a playlist for my 30th birthday party (which is in less than 48 hrs) and today bought an iPod Nano in order to play this - it's not being detected. 

This was the only reason I bought the Nano and I'm pretty sure the store won't accept a return based on a Spotify issue. I'm really upset that this issue was not made clear by Spotify as I conducted searches prior to make sure the Nano was the right choice for me. 

Unfortunately, this is still an issue. 

I'm not sure the nano was the right choice of device for what you are looking to do either. If you created a Spotify playlist, made up of content from the Spotify catalogue then you wouldn't be able to copy it to an iPod nano anyway. The Spotify iPod sync can only sync local tracks, which you own from your hard drive to iPod nanos, classics and shuffles. There is more information about that restriction in this topic

Peter

cocoxxx
Casual Listener

Hi Peter,

I've been able to sync 'starred' tracks to my shuffle in the past with no problem at all. I wanted the nano for increased storage reasons only. 

raphaelmro
Casual Listener

So, still an issue.

+1 disappointed user of spotify with ipod nano 7th.