I was playing music on my Spotify Desktop app when it suddenly cut out by itself. I tried playing back the same playlist, but it just quickly skips through the songs one by one and stops playing altogether.
I hardly had issues playing songs on the app before in the past (Been using Spotify on this computer for >4 years).
What can I do to get it playing again?
I've tried the following:
- Restarted computer
- Soft reboot of computer
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify desktop (Both downloaded and the one on Microsoft Store)
- Deleted all files I could find associated with Spotify when uninstalling (including the ones under ProgramData and AppData/Roaming)
- Updated all sound drivers
- Tried playing it on the web player (it works on the web)
- Played different playlists, downloaded and non downloaded, random songs.
- Changed streaming quality between Automatic, Normal, High, and Very High.
- Disabled hardware acceleration.
- Changed audio output device.
- Logged out and back in.
- Logged into a different account, it also doesn't work.
We really appreciate your reporting this and providing us all the relevant info.
Our tech team made some adjustments backstage and users with an Asus Xonar soundcard should no longer experience this issue. We're therefore marking this as 'Fixed' and we've also updated the title to clarify what issue we were looking into.
If this Ongoing Issue doesn't match your experience, but you're also having issues with playback on your desktop device, we'd recommend you check outthisSpotify Answer first and if that doesn't help try the following steps:
Check your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.
Uninstall any ad-blocker apps.
Remove ALL entries from the Windows hosts file (not just the Spotify ones).
Unplug or disconnect any third-party peripherals/audio devices (e.g. DJ mixing controllers, USB headsets, digital-to-analog converters) to see if that makes a difference.
If you have any DJ apps/software for mixing or creating tunes, try disabling the option to exclusively use a specific sound card.