Announcements

[Desktop] Spotify becomes unresponsive when using Search

When I click on the Search bar and start typing in, the desktop app doesn't respond and for example I can't open my playlists. I need to exit through task manager cause normal exit doesn't work. FIX IT!

Plan

Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, however we're receiving confirmation from users that the steps bellow resolved the issue in many cases.

We'd recommend that you start off by doing a clean reinstall of the app on your device by following the steps here. This way you'll get the latest app version and remove any corrupted leftover files from previous installations.

If that doesn't fix things, you can try out the workaround that @snjx123 posted here:
  1. Toggle 'Show Local Files' ON
  2. Manually unselect each of the sources (iTunes, Downloads, Music Library, etc.)
  3. Once again toggle 'Show Local Files' OFF
To ensure local files do not cause this issue for those of you who don't use any, the new default setting to show local files in the app will be set to Off in the newer versions. Make sure to keep your app updated to receive the latest fixes. 

Please note, that this thread is for the issue described in the initial post. To avoid mixing this up with other reports, we'll be closing the thread for further replies.

Thanks!
Comments
Nico
Rock Star 17
Rock Star 17

Hey @badger1246! Welcome to the Spotify Community. ^^

I understand your anger.

Have you tried reinstalling your app? If not here's a step by step tutorial.

That usually does the trick.

Let me know if that helps, thanks! ^^

Peace

Danny-Lo
Visitor

Hey Nico,

I also face this issue for several days. The reinstalling of the application, unfortunately, doesn't help. I tried doing it several times both via a downloaded installer and the Microsoft store.

A single search request causes two buggy effects:

1. In the UI, the result list stays empty no matter what is requested. However, the UI stays responding.
  2. The background Spotify service gets hung. One of the Spotify processes starts using 100% of one of the CPU cores and can be killed only via the task manager. Also, using "Analyze Wait Chain" in the task manager on that hung process, I see that one of the threads of this process is queued and waiting for some resource.

I've uploaded the dump of the hung process to Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1363jqlPDUsqvuNpK81webaW1ptTbUPy2/view?usp=sharing

Hopefully, somebody can help, because this bug makes the application unusable.

Kind regards

AyyJayy
I have the same issue. Reinstalling does not fix it.
Rami_Othman

I also have the same Issue. 

I believe something went wrong with spotifys latest update. Android devices are also suffering from weird bugs recently

Marsein
Visitor

Plan

Free

Country

Russia

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Hello. I just started using Spotify and came across some unpleasant issue. My seaching function doesn't work. Well, it works correctly for the first 2 mins of using Spotify and then it just stops. I can not search anything and also after that all the functions stop working. So I can not stop listening, can not skip or change the song. All I can do is just... uninstall and install again. And the problem keeps arising every time. No idea what is going on. Can someone help?

Thank you.

user-removed
Not applicable
Проверь настройки (запреты и разрешения) антивирусника и брандмауэра. Полностью удали Spotify и потом установи заново.
Marsein
Visitor
Увы, не помогло 😞
Брандмауэр даже до начальных настроек сбросила и переделала заново - все осталось по-прежнему.
user-removed
Not applicable
А сам Спотифай? Удали его, перезагрузи комп и снова установи.
Хотя возможно, это из-за 7й версии Windows. Она уже считается устаревшей((
Marsein
Visitor
Да уж всё попробовала - та же песня. Начинаю и вправду думать на семёрку. Проверила на ноуте с 10-кой - все прекрасно работает. Эх, обидно!
user-removed
Not applicable
да, получается, это определенно из-за устаревшей ОС...