Announcements

[Desktop] Spotify becomes unresponsive when using Search

When I click on the Search bar and start typing in, the desktop app doesn't respond and for example I can't open my playlists. I need to exit through task manager cause normal exit doesn't work. FIX IT!

Plan

Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for bearing with us while our teams are looking into this!

We're seeing several reports from users that this is now fixed. Could you confirm this for us after updating to the latest version available

If you're still having troubles, @snjx123 has shared a workaround that helped several users here - to sum it up, you can try the following steps:

1. Toggle 'Show Local Files' ON
  2. Manually unselect each of the sources (iTunes, Downloads, Music Library, etc.)
  3. Once again toggle 'Show Local Files' OFF

It'd be great if you could share a screen recording if none of these do the trick, along with details on your device, OS and Spotify versions. We'll make sure to pass them along to the teams so that can continue looking into this.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies!

Comments
Regular

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

PC

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Since yesterday the search option is extremly slow. For example if I enter "Like a rolling stone" it takes about 30 sec - 60 sec. During this time I can hear the music but the UI won't react to any input like pausing my music, skipping a song etc.

And yes, I tried to reinstall, I don't include local files, I deleted the cash, I disabled hardware acceleration, I logged in and out.

And no, my system has plenty of memory and my internet connection is 200 mbit/sec without any problems. It is only Spotify search in the desktop app. Mobile app on android with the same internet connection is also fine.

Any ideas?

Casual Listener
I have same problem, think there was an update in the last few days that may have caused it, hope they advise.
Casual Listener

Hey, 

I believe I'm experiencing the same issue. If I start spotify, it appears normal at first. I can play songs as expected. As soon as I type just a single letter into the search bar, however, it just gives up completely. The UI becomes unresponsive, and the whole application just starts acting very weirdly in general. I want to add, however, that it's not just the UI that becomes weird. It also stops downloading songs (I checked in the task manager. The network utilization drops to 0). 

I have tried reinstalling the application several times. I have deleted cache folders and downloaded songs, but nothing helps. I'm experiencing the same behavior using both the normal desktop app and the windows store version. Further, I have tried updating my Windows 10 to version 2004. I have also tried reinstalling/updating a number of drivers, but nothing helps. 

It might be worth noting that when this happens, it seems like a single thread becomes locked at about 11% CPU utilization: 

Duckify_0-1595928111682.png

So far, I have only experienced this issue on my desktop computer. My laptop does not appear to have this problem. 

Regular

I was thinking about the update from Saturday, too...

I hope they get it fixed quickly.

Visitor
I've encountered the same problem as well! It starts up as normal as it does but then when I type something into my search box the app just exists all by itself. Tried reinstalling it for several times and it's still pretty much the same. I hope they get it fixed. My Spotify app works just fine on my phone and Macbook. I guess there's something wrong while it's being updated, particularly with Windows.
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it. If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE.

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• Model or build of your device
  • Your OS version
  • Spotify version
  • Country of residence
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried, but didn't help 

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this. 

Visitor

I hope developers will figure out this issue soon. To provide some additional information for my post:

Spotify Version: 1.1.38.558.g4b100958 (Microsoft Store-Version)

Windows Version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

@Ivan I also hope my process dump will be somewhat useful in the investigation.

Casual Listener

When trying to post the additional information, I get an error about exceeding the character limit, even though I'm well below the character limit. So you'll have to do with the followin formatting:

• Model or build of your device: Custom built desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600X | GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ | Mainboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming | 16GB RAM | Spotify installed on SATA SSD. Music stored on 7200RPM HDD --- Your OS version: Windows 10, build 19041.421 --- Spotify version: 1.1.38.558.g4b100958 --- Country of residence: Denmark
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried, but didn't help
    • Other than the steps listed in my previous comment, I have tried some other of the recommended troubleshooting steps. I have checked my hosts file, which is almost empty and doesn't contain anything related to Spotify.
user-removed
Not applicable

As @jonnyfontaine wrote:

I created another Windows user account on my laptop and Spotify now works perfectly as long as I sign in to this new account. It's a bit annoying having to switch between different accounts but at least it provides a solution

This is what I did too. But you don't need to switch Windows accounts every time when you wanna use Spotify app - you can run the app with credentials from different account. I've made a shortcut for myself and this workaround works like a charm!

Here's the manual: 

[I assume you've created new Windows account, have installed Spotify app in it and it works fine]

Search cmd in Start menu, click right mouse button and choose 'Open file location' (or just choose it in the menu from the right)

1.png

2. Copy the 'Command Prompt' file
  3. Do 'Open file location' thing with Spotify in the start menu. So you'll get opened File Explorer window with Start menu folder opened in it
  4. Paste here copied earlier 'Command Prompt' file. You can rename that file to 'Spotify Workaround' or what ever you like (I named mine SpotifyTest)
  5. Click right mouse button on this file and choose 'Properties'
  6. Now you wanna make this shortcut to execute command that'll open Spotify from different Windows account. So, you need to edit 'Target' field, this string should look like this: %windir%\system32\cmd.exe /C runas /user:test /savecred "c:\Users\test\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe", where 'test' in the path and in runas key is name of Windows account you've created. Also, you can choose 'Minimized' in 'Run' dropdown  and even change icon to Spotify icon to have better experience.2.png
  7. That's all. Now you have the new Item in the Start menu - it opens Spotify app from the different Windows user. When you'll execute it for a first time, the system ask you for a password for that Windows account and will save it, so you won't be bothered to type password every time later.

This is only workaround, but I can use desktop Spotify app, while waiting to the official fix of the search problem. This method has some minor caveats, but I can live with it:

• when I open any link from the Spotify app in a browser (for example, Account settings), it'll open not your default and customized browser, but browser from that Windows account
  • when I start my 'SpotifyTest' shortcut, I see command line task on a taskbar (it disappear quickly though)
  • I cannot pin this 'SpotifyTest' item to the taskbar, though I can pin it to the Start menu (and I did pin it to the Start menu)
Casual Listener

Spotify desktop edition  1.1.38.558.g4b100958

Windows 10 Pro 1909 build 18363.959

I haven't done any troubleshooting yet

Related Issues