Announcements
Current information of our Google Nest Mini Offer can be found here.

[Desktop] Spotify becomes unresponsive when using Search

When I click on the Search bar and start typing in, the desktop app doesn't respond and for example I can't open my playlists. I need to exit through task manager cause normal exit doesn't work. FIX IT!

Plan

Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for bearing with us while our teams are looking into this!

We're seeing several reports from users that this is now fixed. Could you confirm this for us after updating to the latest version available

If you're still having troubles, @snjx123 has shared a workaround that helped several users here - to sum it up, you can try the following steps:

1. Toggle 'Show Local Files' ON
  2. Manually unselect each of the sources (iTunes, Downloads, Music Library, etc.)
  3. Once again toggle 'Show Local Files' OFF

It'd be great if you could share a screen recording if none of these do the trick, along with details on your device, OS and Spotify versions. We'll make sure to pass them along to the teams so that can continue looking into this.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies!

Related Issues

Comments

Hello,

Device: Laptop ASUS VivoBook 15 X570ZD-DM174T 

Account Plan: Premium

I have the same issue. It just doesn't respond when I type in to the search bar. I've tried restarting the laptop, re-install the app, nothing. I can't even shut down properly the Spotify app when that happens, not even from the task manager. And the songs keep playing even if I close the app window. I have to turn off laptop completely to make it shut up. 

Visitor

Model or build of your device

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P, AMD FX-8320, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Your OS version

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.778]

Spotify version

1.1.39.612.g1e7e78a4

Country of residence

Russia

Troubleshooting steps you've tried, but didn't help 

Full re-install helps for a day or two, and then problem appears again

It works fine if I don't touch the search bar, I can even sort of navigate via liked songs or followed artists but search bar cause app to freeze. During the freeze I can click on every button but it doesn't do anything. The only way to make it work again is to kill spotify processes in task manager, even tho after app restart I won't be able to use search bar anyway.

Casual Listener

Is there any light in the end of the tunnel for this issue? Is going already for longer than it should be, I dont get it how can such a basic feature get **bleep** so badly

The fact I dont see any official answer from spotify here is even worse, looks like they dont care and just care that we are premium users!!!!!

Uninstall and reinstall is the same as "try turning off and on again".

Looks like its time to start checking for other solutions than Spotify

Visitor

Windows 7

Country UK

Desktop App

same problems as listed in this thread on desktop app, clean reinstall works for a short time, but any attempt to search crashes the app, and there are several instances of spotify.exe showing as running processes in Task Manager

I don't understand why we don't have an official answer/solution from Spotify. I really don't see the point of paying for Premium when it doesn't work properly. I will wait for a few more days and then I will cancel my subscription. I don't see any other solution here. 

Model or build of your device

Desktop, AMD, x64

Your OS version

Windows, 10 version 2004, build 19041.421

Spotify version

1.1.38.558.g4b100958 (Microsoft Store version)

Country of residence

Canada

Troubleshooting steps you've tried, but didn't help

Clean install performed for Windows Store app. Also verified same behavior for regular desktop app. Noted that app stops responding after some time of inactivity. Requires force termination through task manager.

Visitor
  • Model or build of your device: PC, AMD, x64
  • Your OS version: Windows, 10 version
  • Spotify version:
    • 1.1.38.558.g4b100958 (Microsoft Store version)
    • 1.1.38.558.g4b100958
    • 1.1.39.612.g1e7e78a4 (edited to add)
  • Country of residence: USA
  • Troubleshooting steps you've tried, but didn't help:
    • end processes in tack manager (processes are not always present after a crash)
    • uninstall/reinstall (search works for some time, then begins to crash again)

Edit: I reinstalled 1.1.38.558.g4b100958 (Microsoft Store version) on Wednesday at the time of the post. The app just started crashing again today, Sunday.

Edit2: I reinstalled 1.1.38.558.g4b100958 using the installer on Sunday. Search worked. Updated to 1.1.39.612.g1e7e78a4 then search crashed the app.

Casual Listener

Copy and pasting my post from a thread I made detailing the problem.

"For about a week now every time I would use the desktop Spotify's search bar it would take an unbearable time to load up the results. Before that it used to give me what I was looking for as I was typing it in, but now it'll take anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute to get the search page to load up what I'm looking for after I type the song name and artist in. I've tried all the methods I found to fix a slow Spotify (deleting some folders in my appdata section of Windows Explorer, reducing my local files, countless re-installations ) but none of them seem to work. I'm using the latest version of desktop Spotify for Windows (1.1.38.558.g4b100958). First time I encountered this issue was 9 days ago (July 27, 2020). Last time I used desktop Spotify without this issue was on July 20, 2020."

Regular

Plan: Premium

Device: Macbook Pro late 2019

Operating System: MacOS 10.14.6

Spotify version: 1.1.38.558.g4b100958

My desktop app keeps on stalling after a few minutes of use. It won't let me move songs within a playlist or to another one, it won't let me do a search and it won't load my playlists. Trying to quit the app, only results in an unresponsive app. 

I've noticed that sometimes when the app stalls, if left alone it can resume functioning after a few minutes. But this only happens sometimes. The rest of the times it will remain stalled or even crash completely.

I've also noticed my issue happens way more often when iTunes is open at the same time.

So far I've tried the following steps:

•Clean reinstall of the Spotify app.

•Tried different network connections.

•Disabling hardware acceleration

•There are no leaning/power management apps enabled.

•Logged in to a different account.

•Deleted all content inside ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/ as well as adding storage.size=1024 on a new line at the end of the file called prefs inside~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/

•I opened the file /private/etc/hosts and there were no entries with Spotify in the address.

•logged out > restarted the device > logged back in

None of the steps solved the issue.

•I can use the web player without any problems.

In offline mode the app seems to work well. But you have to consider that while in that mode, I am not searching, rearranging and sorting my playlists as I've been doing for the past few days.

Casual Listener

I know that's not recommended, but **bleep** it! didn't see any other option.

Just installed this older version, and the search doesn't crash anymore.

Spotify really should be more responsive to this kind of major bugs, especially when a user is paying for the premium plan.