Announcements
We’re experiencing issues with Premium subscriptions and redeeming gift Cards. This is being actively investigated. Subscribe to this thread here for updates.

[Desktop] Spotify fails to launch with GIMP open

Plan

Premium - Family

Country

UK

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro, all updates

My Question or Issue

Hi all,

This is an interesting problem I've managed to isolate over multiple months

If I have Gimp open, I cannot launch / open Spotify. Seemingly the process just never starts. The minute the gimp process is not running, Spotify will then open fine.

Although if I open Spotify before I open Gimp, it works perfectly fine with no issue.

I use the Spotify windows store app

I have used Gimp versions 2.10.14 and 2.8.22, it happens with both.

This is more of an annoying inconvenience, but would love to know if it's just me, or something I'm missing

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
-_qa7dxjqeko8
Same here
seahorsepip
Regular

Having the same issue on Windows 10 build 2004. Strangest bug I've seen yet.

4k33m
Visitor

Same problem here. Win 10 pro V1903, Gimp 2.10.14, Spotify 1.1.35.458.g891674f3

jedcobb

I have the same issue. Gimp 2.10.20 and I'm on windows 10 version 1903, not pro.

4k33m
Visitor
Here's a workaround. Open spotify first. Works for me!
hikeon
Visitor
Oh wow ... this is an amazing discovery. It's been driving me crazy that Spotify won't open and I would have *never* made the association with Gimp, which I've recently had open a lot. This was indeed the problem!

I sure hope this gets fixed.

I'm on Windows 10 Pro v1909.
Mihail

Hey folks,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

You should be able to run Spotify regardless of what other apps you have open. Could you give the steps for a clean reinstall here a go and let us know if the issue persists? It's possible that some of the app files have gotten corrupted and are causing such issues. It's also a good idea to check your hosts file for Spotify entries. This page explains how to do this.

If the issue persists, could you let us know if this happens with the Microsoft Store version of the app, as well as the one from our website

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

hikeon
Visitor

Yep, I had already tried a complete uninstall and reinstall, multiple times in fact, but since I had Gimp running the whole time it made no difference.

Please don't be dismissive of this issue. There are multiple people all reporting the exact same thing. It is very easy to verify the correlation: if I close Gimp, Spotify opens. If I'm running Gimp, it doesn't open. This doesn't happen with *any* other app.

I'm using the Windows Store version of Spotify. Again, Win 10 Pro v1909, latest update.

hikeon
Visitor
According to this corresponding thread on the Gimp bug tracker, someone found that the downloadable version of the Spotify app doesn't have this problem. Guess I'll just switch to that instead of the Store app.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4594

Also I can see crash reports like this in the Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Spotify.exe, version: 1.1.41.634, time stamp: 0x5f4d7784
Faulting module name: Spotify.exe, version: 1.1.41.634, time stamp: 0x5f4d7784
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00159c65
Faulting process id: 0xbafc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d68b3681b8117f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.141.634.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0\Spotify.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.141.634.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0\Spotify.exe
Report Id: d0dc3127-cdcf-430b-87e2-c9e1bc02bff7
Faulting package full name: SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.141.634.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0
Faulting package-relative application ID: Spotify
Mihail

Hey @hikeon,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Could you also try installing the version of the app from our website and let us know if the issue persists? If that doesn't fix things, it would be really helpful if you could include a video of what you see. Just make sure that there's no private/sensitive info displayed. You can use the Insert Video option in the post editor to upload it.

Keep us posted if you have any questions.