Premium - Family

Country

UK

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro, all updates

My Question or Issue

Hi all,

This is an interesting problem I've managed to isolate over multiple months

If I have Gimp open, I cannot launch / open Spotify. Seemingly the process just never starts. The minute the gimp process is not running, Spotify will then open fine.

Although if I open Spotify before I open Gimp, it works perfectly fine with no issue.

I use the Spotify windows store app

I have used Gimp versions 2.10.14 and 2.8.22, it happens with both.

This is more of an annoying inconvenience, but would love to know if it's just me, or something I'm missing

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to say that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Katuen
Casual Listener

Hi there,

OP here, thanks for the attention.

When using the store version (1.1.41.634.gc2c73ca7 (Microsoft Store version)) The previously mentioned problem persists

I have uninstalled the store version, and installed via the link in the last post, but when doing so it seems to automatically install the store version: 1.1.41.634.gc2c73ca7 (Microsoft Store version) - again.

I have now followed the instructions in the first message from Mihail:

I have done a clean uninstall and deleted filed in appdata, a restart.

Checked hosts file and nothing in there related.

I tried the link again, downloading from the website - not MS store - and this continues to install the store version (1.1.41.634.gc2c73ca7 (Microsoft Store version) - from the About Spotify in Settings)

I tested this non the less and the problem persists as explained in the original post, if GIMP is open, Spotify fails to open. Once GIMP is closed, it opens instantly

I have uploaded a video to show what happens - being able to open Spotify before GIMP is open, trying once GIMP is open (with no luck) and how it opens once GIMP is closed

I have also tested this between two different devices and this happens on both.

I hope this is of help. If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them

hikeon
Visitor
I am able to open the downloadable version fine even with Gimp running. I didn't have the problem that Katuen had where installing the downloadable version somehow installed the Store version.

Mihail, maybe you could just try reproducing this with the store version? It should be easy to reproduce.

That said, I'm on the downloadable version now and will never use the store version again, so 🤷‍♂️
Katuen
Casual Listener

I do strongly prefer the store version of Spotify, it's just a shame that this one, very specific bug, happens, as it still catches me off guard at times.

As before @Mihail I am more than happy to provide anything more if it's of help or for me to test things if needed

Friendlywhale

Same problem.

Spotify Windows Store Version (1.1.45.621)

Gimp 2.10.22

MichaelAngeloH
Visitor
"You've managed to isolate this problem over multiple months."
Eh, I noticed immediately when Spotify didn't open. The only new thing I had installed or open was GIMP and I was 95% sure it was the culprit, as I never had the issue of Spotify not opening before.
To be honest, since I didn't want to close GIMP yet, I did update Spotify first, didn't work, then I almost just wanted to reboot my PC quickly, but I decided to first just try closing GIMP anyway, and sure enough, that was the problem for some reason.
Took all but a minute or two to figure out... I don't know why you needed to hone in on it over a matter of months. But anyway...
Katuen
Casual Listener

No need to take the higher ground. At the time of writing this, there were no results on the internet for anyone else reporting or facing this issue too. Nor could I confirm if this was just me and my device, or something more to do with the programs specifically.

For hopefully obvious reasons I was not going to jump to conclusions and blame the programs instantly or straight away, until I could confirm this wasn't just something my end.

Anyway, within the last few days the people over at GIMP have found the issue and investigated it from my thread there too.

By the looks of it, they are currently in the process of fixing it, but I've waited ten months already, I can be patient for them to release the fix.

You can see that thread here

MichaelAngeloH
Visitor
What's that supposed to mean?... I'm just saying it literally took a few minutes of trial and error to figure out it was GIMP. - It's just the way it is, no "higher ground taking" (whatever that means). For the first time EVER, RIGHT AFTER I installed and used GIMP, Spotify wouldn't start. Then I shut GIMP down and it did. - Simple!
Jeremy

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies.

We'll investigate this further and have a look backstage. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Take care!

Jeremy
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.

We’ve passed your info on to the relevant team, who are currently looking into it.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Could you also make sure to provide us with the following info, if you haven’t already:

• device + OS version
  • exact Spotify version
  • where you downloaded Spotify from (e.g. Windows Store)
  • GIMP version

Thanks! We’ll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this. 

Toast101

I have a problem where I can't use the create similar playlist option. It doesn't show up for my account. I have tried logging into my account on another computer but it does not show up as an option. Does anyone know what to do