Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Spotify won't resume after pause with bluetooth headphones

I'm unable to resume after i pause the music for a few minutes with my headphones over bluetooth.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app and all devices fully up-to-date.

Thanks!

Comments
nintendork07
Have this exact same issue since October 2019 on MacOS Catalina. Currently on 10.15.3 and occurs whenever I leave my music paused for more than a few minutes with my Sony XM3 bluetooth headphones connected.
Same issue here. It's pretty annoying. Mac 2017(Four Thunderbolt), MacOs 10.15.3
scarlatescu

Same issue here, totally annoying and it's been going on for months!!

MacBook Pro early 2015, Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76), Spotify 1.1.25.559.g85cf5e4c

Thib6492
I have the same exact issue with my bluetooth headphones (Xiaomi Airdots Pro 2) from a couple of months. I'm on a MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017, on MacOs Mojave 10.14.6 and actually Spotify 1.1.25.559.g85cf5e4c.
jorix

**bleep** It's not just me!

I have the exact same issue with Spotify 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b, running on MacOS 10.14.6 (18G3020), while listening through bluetooth headphones (Denon AH-GC20, with aptX codec). The only way to fix it is by restarting Spotify. Other sources of sound play without any issues (youtube, system sounds, even the spotify web player runs fine)

This issue doesn't happen when I'm listening through wired headphones, nor when I listen on my Sonos through Spotify Connect or Airplay.

Xenia
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

We've merged a few threads together to keep you all in the loop. 

We can confirm the right team are aware of this, and they're looking into it. As a heads up, we’re not able to confirm if or when your specific request will be resolved.

However, we'd recommend keeping your Spotify app up to date to guarantee you’re rocking all the latest features and fixes.

We'll keep you updated in this thread so make sure you've subscribed, thanks!

axelangelon

If it is of any help to anyone, I have circumvented this issue by playing music through the Spotify web player, but controlling it through the desktop application. That way I get all the perks of using the much more user-friendly desktop version, and none of the playback problems accompanying it when being connected to a bluetooth device. 

It's not ideal but it works quite well.

nintendork07
I definitely appreciate the tip. Pretty unforgivable of spotify to be
altered to this issue since Catalina came out in October 2019 and still
haven't issued a fix.

jonathan102

I have the same issue. 

• Device: 2018 Macbook Pro 13"
  • OS version: macOS 10.15.3 (19D76)
  • Spotify version: 1.1.27.472.gf6574b97
  • Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM3
nintendork07
This issue only occurs when I have my bluetooth headphones connected (Sony XM3s and galaxy buds). Have had this issue on MacOS Catalina since October 2019. 

After resuming music after pausing, about 5-10 minutes later, the "Can't play the current song" error pops up. Nothing plays & the issue is not resolved until I quit & reopen Spotify. This happens everytime until I disconnect my headphones.

Also I'm not sure if this helps, but I have my Mac set to force an AAC bluetooth connection (done through bluetooth explorer) with my headphones rather than SBC for better audio quality & reduced latency.