Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop app crashing on Windows after latest update

Hey folks,

We've received some reports mentioning that after the recent update, the Windows Desktop app is closing itself when logging in, during playback or finishing a song. 

This issue happens on both versions of the app: the client one, as well as the Microsoft Store application.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to announce that the root cause has been discovered, so this should now be fixed for everyone - just make sure you're running the latest version of Spotify.

If you're still having trouble you can post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Have a good one!

Comments

Plan

Premium

Country

Philippines

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

Spotify for Windows
1.1.79.763.gc2965cdf

My Question or Issue

This is very similar to https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Windows-10-latest-app-keeps-crashing-after-20-30-mi...

Except the solutions there didn't work for me. What I tried:
1. show local files, still same issue

2. show local files, then unticked the 2 items down there, still same issue

3. show local files, unticked the 2 items, then disabled again the local files. still same issue.

4. restarted app several times. restarted PC, same issue.

5. Did a 'repair' using windows settings, still same issue.

5. Did a 'repair' using windows settings, still same issue.

6. Disabled hardware acceleration, still same issue.

I don't like a reinstall because I have downloaded a bunch of offline songs in high quality. Reinstalling would require me to redownload them all. It's gonna burn my SSD lifespan.

really annoying already. Ultimately, I uninstalled the app, cleaned up all temporary files, restarted PC, and still the same. I no longer have offline downloads and still the same issue.

Also time after time, I get this error "Spotify can’t play this right now if you have the file on your computer you can import it." and then it would skip the music if not crash.

MAAV

Hi, I have the same problem since this morning (01/03/2022) at around 9 am (UK Time). The Spotify app crashes after 5-10 minutes (Windows) and within the 5-10 minutes skips songs until it crashes with the message you mention ("Spotify can’t play this right now if you have the file on your computer you can import it." ). Or crashes after one song. I have tried in 2 different computers (connected to different networks). The iPhone App seems to be working fine.

I have uninstalled and installed the app 4 times, cleared stored data, tried different option on the preferences and nothing.
The last time I have tried installing the app from fresh, after downloading it from Spotify website (Windows version) and clicking to complete install, it crashes with the message "Spotify could not be started. Error code 17."

Is it only me?

Seabiscuit42

Spotify seems to be Corrupted / Has a Software issue .... I have had the same crashing and jumping of Tracks from my playlists ... Poor show from Spotify...

Hardcoreboogie

Same issue here, and we're not the only ones.

Just came back from the Reddit sub for Spotify. Many people are affected by this bug.

ThePX

Same for me unfortunately. 

okay so I've had a live chat with spotify. Long story short, he/she deleted my previous account, transferred everything to a new account I created using the same email. Then I had to manually resbuscribe my subscription. So the conclusion is that the account was the one problematic, not the app. Hope this helps.

MAAV

It's seems to be working for me now too

First I ran the Registry Cleaner on CCleaner.

After that, I had to fix the Error Code 17. I typed RUN on the search box and then %appdata% and from that folder (Roaming) I opened Spotify. It works so far. I found some instructions on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phz4pqQ7NWU

Jebedaias

Plan

Premium

Country

Romania

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10 Home - (older) Version 1607

My Question or Issue

So after today's update the Desktop App no longer works on my PC (it's an older Windows 10 Home version - 1607; disabled the auto-updates a while ago and it's all smooth and stable).

Spotify App Version (as per Control Panel, since I can't use the app itself anymore):

1.1.87.612.gf8d110e2.

Basically what happens is when I launch the app it starts and closes-down in about 1 sec. - no error message or anything.

In the app's folder, debug.log shows this:

[0608/161943.716⚠️task_impl.cc(32)] No task runner for threadId 0
[0608/161943.717⚠️task_impl.cc(32)] No task runner for threadId 0

Uninstalled / reinstalled and it works at first because the installer gets the previous version with the current (latest) one queued for restart - when I do this the same situation appears: app closes itself with no warning / error.

manukartofanu

I have the same issue.

Plan: Spotify Premium Duo

Device : PC

Operating System : Windows 10 Home

Client Version : 1.1.87.612.gf8d110e2