Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop app crashing on Windows after latest update

Hey folks,

We've received some reports mentioning that after the recent update, the Windows Desktop app is closing itself when logging in, during playback or finishing a song. 

This issue happens on both versions of the app: the client one, as well as the Microsoft Store application.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue.

We’re happy to announce that the root cause has been discovered, so this should now be fixed for everyone - just make sure you're running the latest version of Spotify.

If you're still having trouble you can post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Have a good one!

Comments
Novy

Hey folks!

Thanks for your messages.

We're glad to hear that this is now working for most of you. If anyone is still experiencing issues, make sure to let us know and send the exact app version you're currently running. 

Cheers!

paingravy
  • device + OS version

Windows 10 Home OS version 19044.1826

• exact Spotify version

I don't have the option for the HELP menu to find this version under the 3 dot dropdown; it is the most recent download from your website

• if possible, a short video where we can see the issue

Included; URL https://youtu.be/FjKiQFUu5dc

uninstalled
deleted all local files remaining
rebooted PC
reinstalled
logged in via facebook & also tried logging in via email, same result
added exceptions to BitDefender
created powershell script to change install location to custom d:\spotify path, same result

bhavyaverma1699

Hi I suppose to be having a similar issue from the past month.

Plan: Spotify Premium Family

Device : PC

Operating System : Windows 10 Home 1709

Client Version : 1.1.90.859

I am able to work fine with an alternate new account but logging on desktop app with this premium account just causes it to crash. When looked into debug.log file the sole error I see everytime is 

[0725/114217.428⚠️task_impl.cc(32)] No task runner for threadId 0

Also I get absolutely no issue when i use a different OS like Ubuntu 

Theophrast

No more issues for the last two weeks, finally working!

TheSoulRider

This is ridiculous and should not be happening. It started *maybe* the beginning of June. While the Windows desktop app is playing, it just quits -- the word is crashes -- without warning. It is now the end of July and it is still happening. Spotify should pay me to do its support, or just fix the crashing. Spotify for Windows version  1.1.90.859.gf1bb1e36

14n

Version 1.1.90.859 that came out a few days ago has been working without any issues.

stlram5

I'm still having problems playing newer songs on my desktop. Been going on for quite a while now. I hit the play button and nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada damn thing. Very aggravating! I've got I think Version 1.1.88.612 and haven't had ANY notifications of updates in a long time too.

OscarDC

Hey @stlram5,

Thank you for joining the conversation.

The version you mentioned is not the current one that was recently released. We'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app to make sure you're updating it to the latest version. Once updated, try again and let us know how it goes.

In case you still have the issue, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

camjamsco

similar issues, worked fine until recently. turning into a real cluster. 
Just keeps stating something went wrong. annoying. 

G_Here

Have been having this issue for about a month. Keep uninstalling and reinstalling, and it works for a few days at most, then begins crashing again. I've done clean reinstalls and those don't seem to help either.

- Device: PC

- Spotify for Windows
1.1.91.824.g07f1e963