Desktop app won't Scrobble all Local Files to Last.fm since update

Yesterday, Spotify on my PC desktop updated to 1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73.  I use multiple playlists and have them nested in folders.  A feature I love and use often is the ability to double-click the folder, and Spotify will randomly play songs from all folders in the subfolders.

There are a lot of songs/albums unavailable on Spotify, and I have those in a subfolder.  These will play randomly just like any other subfolder in the playlist folder.

Starting after the update to version 1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73, I am getting weird local file behavior with last.fm.  When Spotify is playing one of the local files, it shows up in last.fm just fine, so the API is sending the proper data.  However, when the song ends, about half the time now it does not actually scrobble.  It is as if it is not sending the right information through the API at the end.  Some songs work, some do not. 

It does not seem to matter if Spotify recognizes the song or not.  I tried playing a Scorpions album unavailable in Spotify, and half the songs scrobbled to last.fm and half did not, but each and every one showed up on the last.fm page while playing.  Only after the song finished did it either disappear or log correctly. 

I tried an MP3 that was not even a real song to see if it mattered if Spotify recognized the song or not.  It does not matter.  That made-up entry logged on last.fm just fine.  Songs that logged just fine the day before now will not log.  This feature has worked perfectly for over a year.

It does not matter if the local file is in a folder that Spotify can see or set in a folder that downloads local files.  The behavior is the same, about 50% chance of success. 

On my iPhone, using Spotify version 8.4.18.632, the local files still work as perfectly as they ever have.  You can see the song playing and “scrobbling” on last.fm while it plays, and when the song ends, it works using the phone.  If I switch back to the desktop and try the same songs, it does not work.

This is not the same as “offline song playing”.  I have an internet connection.  I can play local and streamed songs back and forth.  The streamed ones log perfectly every time; only local files are affected.

I have also posted about this on the last.fm support forum, and other users are seeing the exact same behavior.  It is not limited to my installation. 

Please get this fixed!  Spotify’s seamless integration of streamed, local, and last.fm is why I chose it as my streaming service. 

< Moderator snip - title changed for clarity >

Hey folks, 

Thanks for bearing with us! We can confirm this has been fixed in the Spotify version 1.0.77. 

If anyone is still having issues with scrobbling, we'd recommend creating a new thread

Thanks,

Chris

Comments
Pausanias828

I have been having the same problem since last night, and it is still happening now too. It is really frustrating seeing something showing as being scrobbled, only for it to disappear by the end of the song. Mine is on the same latest spotify update 1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73, running on win 7

Contrail

Same problem after the lastest update 1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73. 

puxlit
Casual Listener

Can confirm; I'm also on 1.0.72.117.g6bd7cc73.

For both streamed and local tracks, the desktop client will post that they're now playing when they start (to <post.audioscrobbler.com/np_1.2>), but only streamed tracks seem to consistently post the scrobble when they finish (to <post2.audioscrobbler.com/protocol_1.2>).

Furthermore, tracks in Spotify's catalogue for which we have an equivalent local file also exhibit this inconsistent scrobbling behaviour.

FabianS_Bogota
Roadie
Status changed to: Need more info

Hey folks!

It's odd that this happens. I tried to replicate the same and I was able to log the local files scrobbled on to last.fm. However, the streamed songs didn't log on to last.fm, so there's definitely something going on. Can you guys try a clean reinstall of the app with these steps? If possible, try adding again the local files and then, disconnect last.fm and Spotify and connect them one more time. Let us know if this helps at all.

Keep us posted!

blackfalconky
Regular

Thanks for the information!  I went through the steps to uninstall Spotify, download the latest version, install it, connected with my account, changed the settings to point to the local files on the HDD, and reconnected to last.fm.  The results were exactly the same.  Local files showed as "scrobbling" on last.fm while the music played, but as soon as the song ended, they disappeared as if they had never been there. 

Alfredo
Roadie

Hey @blackfalconky!

Thanks for giving the previous steps a shot. Let's try creating a new playlist with only the local files and trying to play them again.

Let us know how it goes.

puxlit
Casual Listener

Tried a short playlist comprising ten local tracks (that aren't in Spotify's catalogue). No luck.

Curiously, if the first track that I play when I start the desktop client is a local file, it'll scrobble. But no other local tracks will scrobble thereafter; they only submit now playing notifications to Last.fm. Streamed tracks still scrobble consistently for me.

blackfalconky
Regular

There is also discussion on this happening on the last.fm community boards at https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/topics/spotify-scrobbling-beta?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bf...

Chris
Spotify
Spotify
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey folks,

Thanks for the reports. We're talking with the tech team to get this resolved. 

Hopefully we'll have an update for you soon. 

Stay tuned!

Chris
Spotify
Spotify

Hey @blackfalconky - could you confirm the Local Files you're importing have meta-data attached? 

Thanks!