[Desktop] "Create similar playlist" isn't working

Hey folks,

We're seeing reports that the function to create similar playlists on Desktop isn't working. The new playlist isn't generated and no error message is shown. We've just merged a few threads together to keep you all in the loop. 

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting this to us!

We've passed all your info on to the right team and they're looking into it. If you're experiencing this, we'd first recommend deleting and reinstalling the Spotify app and trying a different account on the same device (You can create a new free account or ask a friend or family member to log in on your device).

Should the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE and the following details in a comment below:

• Your device and its OS version
  • Exact Spotify version
  • Does it work with a different account?

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

0 Likes
Comments
trapslime
Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Country

Russia

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

The button "create similar playlist" doesnt work, i clicking on it, but nothing happen
I have already reinstalled the app.

spotify.gif
Vanitatis

Plan

Premium

Country

RU

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Create Similar Playlist feature does not do anything when being clicked upon since the last update. The option is still present where it should be (that is, in the pop-up menu on user's own playlists) and is not greyed out, but it fails to react in any way: not only does it fail to yield a new playlist, empty or otherwise, but even the menu itself does not disappear as it normally does when an action from the menu is successfully carried out (e.g. adding songs to a playlist), as if the option was "unclickable" (which it could have indeed become, accidentaly, in the new update). The other options in the same menu function normally.

All of the possible troubleshooting steps have been tried - reinstallation, logging out, Microsoft Store version (issue persists there), clearing the cache(s), restarting the device and trying a different device. I am not asking for further troubleshooting steps but rather for the issue to be fixed.

Attaching a screenshot would be superfluous since a static image, with the visually normal menu, does not illustrate the issue.

An issue identical or similar to this one has been reported in the past after some updates, notably in 2017 and more recently in 2020.

The very same issue was reported very recently in the same forum section, and it also came, perhaps significantly, from a Premium user from my region (RU) on the same OS (Windows 10). It has not been replied to as of yet (time of my post). I do strongly hope that the issue will be promptly addressed.

Emilia_8
Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hello @Vanitatis

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you try using a different account (e.g. friend's or relative's) to see if the issue persists? Or using your account on a different desktop device. 

It might also be worth trying with a different internet connection, like a mobile hotspot. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Jeremy

Hi there @trapslime,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you confirm if you followed these steps when you reinstalled the app? This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

If you did and it still doesn't work, can you provide us a screen recording so that we can have a closer look directly from your end?

On another note, does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

MeriAuri
Visitor
Hello,
I've been having the same problem as well. I've tried a clean reinstall of Spotify, using it from a different computer, with a different account, using a mobile hotspot instead of Wi-Fi. None of this helped. It is an extremely annoying issue, and I hope it can be resolved as soon as possible since I need this feature (create similar playlist) daily.
MeriAuri
Visitor
Hello,
I've been having the same problem as well. I've tried a clean reinstall of Spotify, using it from a different computer, with a different account, using a mobile hotspot instead of Wi-Fi. None of this helped. It is an extremely annoying issue, and I hope it can be resolved as soon as possible since I need this feature (create similar playlist) daily.
Emilia_8
Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hi @MeriAuri

Thanks for all the details! 

Could you try using the 3-dot menu as well as right-clicking the playlists name to see if the option to create a similar playlist works using any of these options? 

Keep me posted!

Vanitatis

Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply (and also to the other fellow user for their feedback). Unfortunately, none of the proposed extra steps seem to work for me either. As to the three-dot menu located near the playlist’s metadata, sadly enough the option there does behave in an identical way, i.e. it does not work. (I actually assume the menu is only coded once in the source code, the right-click and the three-dot are merely two different ways of bringing it up). 

I should have mentioned the fact in my original report, but I forgot to include it, that is, the observation about the 3-dot. To sum things up, no progress so far. Just like with the other user who replied to my post, the function is a vital one to me on a daily basis, so it’s quite a stressful situation, but I am optimistic about it ultimately being fixed, since in 2020 people who had experienced something similar later reported that a newer update did manage to remedy the problem.

Emilia_8
Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hello again @Vanitatis and @MeriAuri

Thank you for giving all those troubleshooting steps a try!

If you could share some screenshots or videos of what you're seeing from your end, that would be really helpful. Just make sure not to share any personal info 🙂

I'd also appreciated if you could share with me the app version you're currently running so the issue can be investigated further. 

I'll be looking out for your reply! 

CarlosE

Hi there @MeriAuri,

Thanks for reaching out.

We see that you also posted on this thread and we're helping you there and some info was requested to further look into this. Let's keep the conversation going on that thread to avoid any mix-ups.

Cheers!

Related Issues