Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading on Apple Watch stuck at first song

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that some users are unable to download music for offline listening on their Apple Watches. The download is stuck on the first song and doesn't progress.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your inputs and patience so far.

We're setting this issue to Not Right Now as we're unable to provide an exact timeline for a fix at this moment. However, rest assured this will remain on our internal teams' radar and we'll check back in here with a new status when we have any new information to share.

In the meantime, make sure to always keep the app up to date.

Take care.

Comments
6ixgun
You might as well save yourself a lot of aggravation - cancel your spotify
service and get apple music. Apple music’s engine is not as good but at
least it works . It also does not have the effed up 50 song limit per
playlist. Spotify totally kissed the ball in this one. Check back in a
year - maybe they will have it right by then. Paying for something that
does not work is , well , dumb.
Davebass5

Im in the lucky position that my phone contract includes 6 months free Apple music, and i use my girlfriend's Spotify account. I tend to use Spotify the most as i prefer the iOS app over the Apple Music one, and on PC Spotify is much easier to use, but ill still start paying for AM when i need to. It just seems to work better across devices and, well it seems im not going to have any Spotify on my watch without my phone now. 

Rolyexpress

Another user suggested this, if you can stream directly on the watch, the downloads will start working. I’ve had issues with both of these but this worked for me:

Open Spotify app on iPhone and watch, and put on the AirPods and confirm they are connected to iPhone. Also make sure you’re home and connected to WiFi. Now go to watch Spotify app and click on the phone icon and switch music stream to watch > AirPods. On the second try it connected for me and songs started downloading. Wohoo!

I had previously tried troubleshooting it out on a run but without WiFi it wouldn’t work (since I don’t have the cellular version. 

iPhone 12. Watch Series 7.

scramjet-it
Problem solved:

Uninstalled Spotify, installed Apple Music.

5 minutes later I was listening my compilation running in the park.

Thanks to Spotify that gave me back the money, superlative assistance service.
Jason619

Wow these workarounds do not work.  Apple Watch is stuck on “loading…” and I’ve done clean installs on all devices, iPhone app unload data, restarts, whatever. Remove that suggestion at the beginning of this post it’s a waste of time.  Fix**bleep** 

Davebass5

I know its no comfort to anyone, but since i last posted about not even getting to the first song downloading, i now have it all working fine. 

I logged out, took it off both devices, re booted both and put the app back on. Since then its been working surprisingly well, at least for now. 

I still dont intend to use it much, but the big advantage over Apple music is you can do it while the watch is on your wrist. 

iPhone 13 Pro Max iOS 15.2

Apple Watch Series 7 WatchOS 8.1 (19R570)

Spotify version 8.6.74

Korea

Valley_River

This problem shouldn't need a work around but after trying all the official recommendations to no success, I downloaded the playlist onto my phone (to play offline). The playlist then seemed to transfer onto my watch fairly quickly.

Davebass5

Since my last post ive changed my watch yet again, and the new one also had the same issue until i logged out, deleted the app off my phone, rebooted both devices. Now thats working 100% as well.

In fact my GF was also having the issue of not downloading on her Series 5/XS Max, and we did the above and she is also now up and running.

Obviously many people have tried this and cant get it working, so its not a fix, just a FYI.

DivineStrike

I have gotten mine (Apple Watch 7 updated w/ latest watchOS) to stream music it seems by turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth but keeping cellular on (will probably work with all connections on but wanted to test the watch untethered), on my phone. It will not work on the watch if my phone is off or completely disconnected from all wireless sources. Seems the watch app needs to speak to the phones app (or maybe just the phone as I closed out the app on my phone and it still works)  I also uninstalled From the watch and then uninstalled from the phone. And reinstalled. Also the latest time I stopped the automatic install to the watch initially and then installed it manually.

Watch app definitely needs work. Would like to be able to more easily scan through my liked songs and other playlists

have not tried downloading anything as only 50 songs is moot for me and streaming is what I need more