Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading on Apple Watch stuck at first song

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that some users are unable to download music for offline listening on their Apple Watches. The download is stuck on the first song and doesn't progress.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your inputs and patience so far.

We're setting this issue to Not Right Now as we're unable to provide an exact timeline for a fix at this moment. However, rest assured this will remain on our internal teams' radar and we'll check back in here with a new status when we have any new information to share.

In the meantime, make sure to always keep the app up to date.

Take care.

Comments
chipolete1

In case it helps anyone else - got it working for me following these steps. I didn't reinstall the app (on phone or watch), didn't need to re-pair phone, etc.

1. Removed playlist from watch app (was stuck at downloading first song)
  2. Re-added playlist from phone
  3. Checked playlist was on watch (again stuck on 1st song)
  4. Turned off phone
  5. Made sure watch connected to wifi
  6. Force-closed watch app
  7. Opened watch app
  8. Started playing downloaded playlist from watch, which worked, and playlist now showing as downloaded completely

RIGERT

Mine’s working now! I’ve been struggling with this for days and getting super peeved, but all I did was start the download request on my phone while the phone was in my hand on the arm that was wearing the watch. So in other words, they were right next to each other. Now, zero issues, and downloading pretty quickly. My watch is NOT on the charger, just on my wrist and phone in my hand and both on the same wifi network and connected to each other via bluetooth and paired of course. 

recoiler

Success! Removed app, reset both phone and watch. Turned phone one and reinstalled Spotify app, then turned watch on, removed pin requirement. Had to close app on phone and reopen to get it to recognize. Started downloading, only took at minute or less to download track 1 and the amount of time to type this to download 25 tracks. 

Tommasone
Finally after almost 1 year of waiting and trying I found a solution.
I have tried everything, I mean everything, what you have suggested, but with no solution.
I also changed 2 phones and 3 apple watches, with no solution.
So the problem is in the spotify account.I tried another account on my phone and it worked
So I went back to my account and changed my user-id, which contained a special character
and now IT WORKS!
I hope it will be useful for other people as well.

Tommasone
Finally after almost 1 year of waiting and trying I found a solution.
I have tried everything, I mean everything, what you have suggested, but with no solution. 
I also changed 2 phones and 3 apple watches, with no solution.
So the problem is in the spotify account. I tried another account on my phone and it worked.
So I went back to my account and changed my user-id, which contained a special character and now
IT WORKS!
I hope it will be useful for other people as well.
Vico21

I have a special character in my username! But apparently Spotify doesn't allow you to change your username, so it's still not a fix for me (creating a new account is not an option for me, since I have many many playlists)

Davebass5

The problem a lot of people have is getting consistent results. 
I have gone through periods where it’s all working ok, and without me changing anything it stops working. It seems like I have found the way to get it to work, then to stops working. 

Tommasone

New update. 

It was probably not the username change but the account change.

When i went back to my account after trying another one the system worked for me. 

cashaw1

@mamitas Thanks. your solution worked for me too after trying about a 100 others

ThatNameIsTaken

I have been having this issue since I got my Apple watch in December of 2021. I specifically bought the watch so I could listen to music at work. I work in a nuke plant so we aren't allowed phones because of the cameras. 

In addition to the download issues, Spotify also has connectivity issues with Bluetooth listening devices through the watch as well. It requires you to connect through the phone which defeats the purpose of having the watch! You need to use magic in order to trick it to work without the phone but it still requires you to initially connect using the phone. It will ALWAYS randomly disconnect at some point and you usually can't get it to reconnect until you use your phone to do so.

It's really sad that Spotify has know of this issue for so long and is unable to resolve it.