Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloading on Apple Watch stuck at first song

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that some users are unable to download music for offline listening on their Apple Watches. The download is stuck on the first song and doesn't progress.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your inputs and patience so far.

We're setting this issue to Not Right Now as we're unable to provide an exact timeline for a fix at this moment. However, rest assured this will remain on our internal teams' radar and we'll check back in here with a new status when we have any new information to share.

In the meantime, make sure to always keep the app up to date.

Take care.

Comments
TakeRicola

Hi, 

I've tried all the suggested solutions but my Spotify downloads are still not working. I've deleted the apps several times and re-paired the phone with my watch on several occasions. I've tried every possible combination of having the phone on and off, only using WIFI, selecting a different WIFI, etc. etc. 

I purchased the apple watch a few days ago specifically to have offline music capability while exercising. If this does not work I might as well return the watch as its practically speaking just an expensive remote control at the moment.

It might be worth mentioning that my apple podcast app works fine offline and Spotify is able to stream  music from the watch if I'm connected to my WIFI.  

Please help!

Plan

Premium (family)

Country

Sweden

Device

iPhone XR (iOS 14.7.1) // Apple Watch Series 6, wachOS 7.6.1  model A2291 v 7.6.1 (18U70)

Operating System

iOS 14.7.1

Spotify Version

HenSpotify

I’ve just tried to download a new album from

Spotify to my watch and it got stuck on the first song. 
But, as soon as I placed my watch on the charger, ten minutes later the whole album was downloaded.

I have tried everything and nothing works. Add this on top of the fact my 'new' releases have been stuck for over a year and I start to question why on earth I still use this app?

Does anyone know if you can d/l apple music to your watch to listen to offline? 

Davebass5

The only reason i have Apple Music is to download music to my watch for when im at at gym. You have to use the watch app on the phone and the watch needs to be on the charger. 

Ive been having more luck with Spotify since my first post. I refuse to re set the watch, its just too much hassle just to get one app working. 

One thing ive found is my phone needs a good signal. I cant transfer anything when im out using just cellular, but it works ok at home using my wifi. Ill sometimes need to turn wifi off and back on in the watch. It seems sometimes the watch isnt re connecting to my wifi, but is still working through the phone. 

Xenia
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bearing with us while we’re looking into this! Rest assured that all your information has been passed on to the right folks and they are investigating.

Note that the very first download is expected to take more time and stay in 'Downloading 1 of ...' state for a few minutes, but if the watch is connected to the phone and the network connection is stable, it should start progressing after a while.

If you’re still having trouble after that, we recommend going through the following troubleshooting steps:

• clean reinstall the app on both your smartphone and the smartwatch
  • unpair and pair the watch again
  • connect the watch to a charger
  • restart the watch
  • try a different internet connection

Hope this helps. We’ll check back here as soon as we have more news.

Davebass5

That doesn't help at all, if you read this thread its what others have suggested and is not helping. 

The idea of doing a clean install of all devices to get just one app working that is not been written correctly is astounding.

Im mean, ‘try a different internet connection’? Really!!!! Shall we all change providers just in case this helps us all?

HenSpotify

I have just visited the Apple forum and see similar issues with downloading Apple Music to Apple Watch. 
Here is a tip that seem to help (some):

First download the songs or playlist to the iPhone and after that to the Apple Watch.

Hope that helps. Just tried it and it seems to work (i.e. faster and complete download)

Davebass5

Ive never had to do that with Apple Music. I just add a playlist or album to my library and then use the watch app to sync it across. 

No idea why some have issues with these things and others dont. It should be so simple.

I have tested another theory this morning. I went out in to the car park where i have no wifi, and added a Spotify album to the watch. It instantly showed up, abut nothing was downloading. I waited 10mins, but nothing. I went inside and as soon as my phone connected to my wifi the songs started to download, but got stuck at 2 out of 13. Been like that for a while now. 

Deejaycrox

I’ve just downloaded a couple of songs without problem. Here’s how I did it:

• on iPhone chose the playlist and click Download to Apple Watch 
  • on your Apple Watch the playlist will appear in grey with 1 of n downloaded
  • put your iPhone into airplane mode and ensure Bluetooth is also switched off at this point 
  • this forces your watch onto Wi-fi
  • close the app on your watch (press crown then the other button, swipe the spotify app to the left, click the red x
  • restart the app on your watch
  • the playlist downloads onto your watch. Mine took a few seconds but was only two songs. 

I appreciate it is annoying to read people who can make this feature work and still seem

unable to make it work yourself. 

TakeRicola

Hi again, I tried the steps that user "Deejaycrox" mentioned but it does not work for me.

However, I noticed something interesting: If I turn off bluetooth off on my iPhone and then "add a track to Apple Watch" on Spotify. The "Downloads"-section on my watch does not update at all.  It seems like Bluetooth must be turned on both devices in order for the Downloads list to be updated at all. Is that the case for everyone?