Filter function on playlist doesnt play next track?

Plan

Free

Country

United Arab Emirates

Device

Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

This is a bit hard to explain, but basically, when i search the name of an artist on my playlist which i have many songs from them added, and then i finish playing the song, it doesn't play the rest of the songs from the search list. It just plays whats next on the actual playlist

Hey everybody,

We're seeing some reports about the next song in a filtered playlist not being the correct one. If this is the case, reinstall the app and let us know if it works. Also add a +Vote and comment the following:

• Device/OS
  • Spotify version

Thanks!

Comments
Jemi
Spotify Legend

Hey @batmeatz, help's here. 

Do you mean when you use the filter option to find an artist in your playlist? This will get you a desired search result, but it shouldn't be seen as a separate queue. It's intentional that the music will proceed from the playlist, not the filter results. 

Feel free to add the songs you want from an artist to the play queue. That will ensure that the desired tracks will be played consecutively.

All the best!

Harran

Yea right, it worked like a week ago and now it doesn't. I have got over 1500 songs added to my main playlist by various artists and now when I want to listen to one artist or album I'm made to add every single one track to the queue? That's nonsense and this function should be restored immediately since it was very useful!

flowztah

It's intentional that the music will proceed from the playlist, not the filter results. 

No, the intention is for the filter to work as a filter. The UI says "Filter" (CTRL+F) and clearly separates it from "Search" (CTRL+S).

Since using Filter on Songs saved to Your Library still works correctly (filtered songs produce a separate queue) means this is obviously a bug and not an intentional change.

Jemi
Spotify Legend
Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey everybody,

We're seeing some reports about the next song in a filtered playlist not being the correct one. If this is the case, reinstall the app and let us know if it works. Also add a +Vote and comment the following:

• Device/OS
  • Spotify version

Thanks!

Harran

@Jemi  Thanks, it works now as it is supposed to do. Windows 10, version 1.1.7.13766.gf9dc3904

#edit: I was too optimistic, unfortunately. It stopped working once again, filter function doesn't work as it should do. I just don't get it how something can work for a moment and stop all of a sudden without any update or something.

Vengefulsoulul

I have been suffering from this problem for a few weeks too. I use a Dell Inspiron 3000 series Laptop with Windows 10 and latest version of Spotify with Premium. It started a few weeks ago. Contacting Spotify Support didn't help at all, they didn't even know how to fix it. They just told me to reinstall Spotify which temporarily fixes the problem until I close Spotify and reopen it; then it happens again. To be honest, this problem is huge for a Spotify power-user like me. The filter feature was the only thing that made Spotify unique to other streaming platforms to me.

shelaffs
Gig Goer

I had this problem too. The only thing that fixed it reliably was downgrading spotify to an ealier version (I'm using 1.0.85) and preventing it from updating. Until I've seen that they've fixed the various issues from the last few updates I'm refusing to update Spotify. 

Hey there @shelaffs and @flowztah,

We really appreciate reaching out in the Community to report this!

Just to confirm, are you using a Windows device? If so, it'd be helpful to let us know the operating system's version and, if you haven't already, the version of the Spotify app you're on.

We'll make sure to pass this on to our tech teams, thanks :)

Narmerguy
Casual Listener

Windows device, reinstalled, it worked. I don't know my spotify version.

chevolution

I reinstalled on my Macbook pro and the filtering issue still exists. I want to listen to a specific artist in my playlist, so I filter my list and press play. The next song is NOT by that artist and plays the next song on the huge list. I want to play and shuffle based on my filtered list. What is up with you spotify? Are you trying to push away customers?