Friend Feed not updating for users on desktop

Hey everyone!

We've seen some reports that the Friend Feed is not working properly for you.

If you're experiencing the following, please click the +VOTE button:

• Seeing friends show in the Friend Feed even if you're not following them
  • Unfollowing/ following friends again refreshes the Friend Feed however, when restarting the app the changes aren't reflected

Note: If the Friend Feed isn't appearing at all, you can head here to leave your +VOTE instead.

Also, make sure to try the following steps first:

• Log out and back in your account to shake things up
  • Perform a clean reinstall of the desktop app
  • Try a different network connection to see if the issue persists

If that doesn't help, it'd be helpful to leave a comment with the following so we can pass this info to our tech folks:

• Device
  • OS and version of your device
  • Spotify version (please specify)
  • How long has the Friend Feed not updated?

Thanks!

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all your reports regarding the Friend Feed not updating for a period of time. 

As we mentioned previously, we've done some changes backstage and this should be now fixed.

If you're having troubles, make sure to update to the newest version of Spotify. We recommend doing a quick reinstallation using these instructions. Try loggling the Friend Feed off and back on as well. 

If that doesn't do the trick for you, or you're having other issues with the Friend Feed (for example, an error message that it failed to load), we'd still like to know. In that case, we'd suggest heading over to the right Help Board and starting a new thread with all the necessary information. Thanks!

Comments
Status changed to: Fixed

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all your reports regarding the Friend Feed not updating for a period of time. 

As we mentioned previously, we've done some changes backstage and this should be now fixed.

If you're having troubles, make sure to update to the newest version of Spotify. We recommend doing a quick reinstallation using these instructions. Try loggling the Friend Feed off and back on as well. 

If that doesn't do the trick for you, or you're having other issues with the Friend Feed (for example, an error message that it failed to load), we'd still like to know. In that case, we'd suggest heading over to the right Help Board and starting a new thread with all the necessary information. Thanks!

user-removed
Not applicable

So, this is a general message for the friends activity problem.

-remove fb account, close spotify and then relog

-reinstall app

-unfollow and follow friends

-create new account while in contact with support to transfer your playlists

-Delete host file, located here: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts , press the host file and scroll down until you find this:0.0.0.0 spclient.wg.spotify.com, delete it and save the txt file in documents (as it wont let you save it in the folder). Delete the host file and then replace it with the editted one. (THIS SOLUTION WORKED FOR ME) 

Big thanks to the support, Alvhine H. which took the time to look into my problem and fix it  :)

TylerDantuma

@Jemi 

Just saw the update about pushing a fix. Did another cache-deleted reinstall, and still having the same issue. Have restarted device as well.
When I unfollow people that have shown in the list for months, they are removed from the friend activity list. I follow them again, and they're added back.
When I follow new friends, they don't show up in the list.

Laurianne

Just did a reinstall and NOTHING :( 
I'm so tired of this issue. I even unfollowed my friend and re followed them and still they aren't showing up in my friend feed.

UGH

Yellowfield
Casual Listener

The problem returned for me. Half of my friends disappeared in the activity bar and some went back in time. Out of nowhere. 

Josh1990

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 8.02.49 pm.png

I've been experiencing this problem for more than a year and still no solution. I have done multiple clean installations and still searching for a solution. I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015). Please respond ASAP.

Spotify
Spotify

@Josh1990 I can see that you're supposed to have 2 friends listed in your Friend Activity feed at this very moment. Do they show up if you restart your client? Or have you never seen any friends listed in your feed?!

Braddersw

HI,  this is still not updating for me. I have at least two friends who i am following and neither of them are in the Friend Activity window. I have followed all of the above steps and it hasnt resolved it. I have even unfollowed a then followed again.

Thanks,

RiotMode

same here....
my friend is listening to my current song and i can see it on discord - but in my spotify app he isnt even showing up in friend activity ... tried to unfollow/follow, restart app, relogged ... still bugged 

in the meanwhile, i can see it on discord and its working fine over there... 

HOW CAN THIS BE MARKED AS "FIXED" ??? wth

mechehuerta

I am having the same issue, I feel like everytime I make an update to the next version, this happens again. The funny thing is not all friends dissappear from the list, just some of them. I’ve tried a clean reinstall, restart of my computer, downgrading to the last version, but none of this works. I hope you can solve this since it is a repeating issue.